Refs miss obvious illegal formation penalty on Foles TD catch

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

That was a legal formation

It wasnt but the ref said it was.

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He checked with the linesman; WRs do it every play

If you want to complain about penalties that aren't called, the conversation cannot begin anywhere except at Ineligible Lineman Downfield; it happens on every screen pass in the game and is NEVER called

And players in motion...99% of them are moving towards the line of scrimmage at the snap

30 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

I guess the Pats finally found out how hard it is to win when you have to beat the team in front of you and the without help from the referees too.

Hahahaha, couldn't happen to a better bunch of jackoffs.

FIFY.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Jeffrey had to be on the LOS as they only had 6 players lined up on the ball instead of 7...play should have been flsgged for illegal formation...

Guess it was Pats turn to get screwed last night by the stripes Hahahahaha.

DVO-sSSUQAAUz4m.jpeg

Look at MOSt of the Pats alignments their OT’s are always deep from LOS

33 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

I guess the Pats finally found out how hard it is to win when you have to beat the team in front of you and the referees too.

Hahahaha, couldn't happen to a better bunch of jackoffs.

I suspect this had no effect 

just like many others that people have spazzed about

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Comes down to the far side line judge.  He is even with the RT and the wing is behind him so he is legal.

Exactly how it looks to me.  

What's the rule exactly?  He's at most a half yard behind the RT.  The entire line is a full yard or so off the ball, so does he have to be within a yard of the ball, or a the tackle at the end of the line?   I honestly don't know, but this alignment doesn't seem any more egregious than you see every Sunday in the league.   It's the very definition of much ado about nothing.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Jeffrey had to be on the LOS as they only had 6 players lined up on the ball instead of 7...play should have been flsgged for illegal formation...

DVO-sSSUQAAUz4m.jpeg

who cares.....like others have said, it had no bearing on the outcome of the play and Alshon confirmed that he checked with the line judge.  not sure why this is even a thread

2 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

who cares.....like others have said, it had no bearing on the outcome of the play and Alshon confirmed that he checked with the line judge.  not sure why this is even a thread

So you're saying it doesn't matter?

3 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Because outrage at the refs is like so in style right now 

2 hours ago, KW95 said:

Seriously, how awesome was it that they ran the same play to Foles that the Pats tried to do earlier in the game

FU PATS!

Aren’t you the one that repetitively declared that you are now rooting for the Patriots* because you want to “celebrate their greatness”. You are a typical fair weather Pats* fan.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Correct

Had he been too far back in the ref's opinion, he'd simply have moved up

A penalty was never in play

Just because Jefferies said he got approval doesn't mean he did.  The line of scrimmage is clearly the 5 yard line.  He's at the 7.  That's an illegal formation.  Hell, they called our tackle on that 2 times in the same game....Henderson.  The tackle was called, and he was in formation,  cost us big time in a game.  Two huge first downs.  Might have been preseason.  

1 minute ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Just because Jefferies said he got approval doesn't mean he did.  The line of scrimmage is clearly the 5 yard line.  He's at the 7.  That's an illegal formation.  Hell, they called our tackle on that 2 times in the same game....Henderson.  The tackle was called, and he was in formation,  cost us big time in a game.  Two huge first downs.  Might have been preseason.  

If he said he did and he didn't get flagged, I think the safe assumption is he did and got the OK. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

DVO-sSSUQAAUz4m.jpeg

I believe he checked with the ref and was considered ok - not illegal in that case.

I don’t think there was any issue here.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, here's the youtube clip.  Look at it with the sound off.  Especially the view at 0:31.

I think what people see is being influenced by the announcers.

What I see is that Clement has the ball caught between his R hand, his L arm, and his body.  He never bobbles it, ball never wobbles or starts to "pop up".  Both feet down.  Now, from the front, it looks like he has control, and he shifts it to his L arm so it will "survive the ground", steps OOB, and goes to the ground cradling the ball between his L hand and body.  It is allowed to manipulate the ball after you catch it!  You can cover it up, shift it from one arm to another, so forth.  Especially, the guy is an RB, that's what they're coached to do, shift the ball from one arm to another if it will better protect it from being knocked out by a defender as they go to the ground.

Collinsworth, looking at it from the side where you can't tell what is going on with Clement's hands, starts talking about how he starts to "lose control" then steps out before he recovers.  That's BS, Clement never loses control, he shifts the ball from his R hand to his L so as he goes down, he contacts first with his R arm and protects the ball with his L hand, arm, and body. 

I will admit, I thought it would be overturned, but that wasn't because I thought it should be overturned, it's because I've thought there have been outrageous overturns all season.

Agreed - I see the ball move, but it does not leave his possession.  There is no true bobble or a period where the ball is out of contact.  I thought it would be ok because you don’t see that look like he is fighting to keep control.

The Benjamin non TD to me was because he first gets the ball in his hands, but in bringing it to his body there is a clear period of time the ball is not controlled and therefore required him to regain control which is the sticking point for the TD.

Clement maintained control to me so they ruled it correctly as a TD.

I thought the refs did a pretty good job all game getting those calls right.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

The point is that WRs check if they're good nearly every play, and the linesmen will almost always give them a thumbs up or down.

Some guys are going to call it closer than others.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The point is that WRs check if they're good nearly every play, and the linesmen will almost always give them a thumbs up or down.

Some guys are going to call it closer than others.

I'm not doubting you, Bandit, but I gotta ask then - if WR have the option to check if they're good, and they do so almost every play,  how is this penalty "a thing"?

54 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Aren’t you the one that repetitively declared that you are now rooting for the Patriots* because you want to “celebrate their greatness”. You are a typical fair weather Pats* fan.  

HAHAH!

I hate the Pats and obviously you knew I was just greasing my cheeks for the pain of watching the Pats possibly win another title!

49 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Here's the clip in Youtube.  At about 0:21 you can see Jeffries raise an arm and point at the ref momentarily - this would be him checking - and the ref would thumb up or thumb down.  If he thumbed down, Jeffries would presumably move up.

If the zebra gave him the thumbs-up it would surely be ticky-tack to then call it.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not doubting you, Bandit, but I gotta ask then - if WR have the option to check if they're good, and they do so almost every play,  how is this penalty "a thing"?

Usually it's because they neglect to ask, as was the case with Seantrel.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The Benjamin non TD to me was because he first gets the ball in his hands, but in bringing it to his body there is a clear period of time the ball is not controlled and therefore required him to regain control which is the sticking point for the TD.

How can one bring the football to his body if one does not already have control of it? "Bringing it to his body" is Riveron's asinine explanation that has never, and will never again, be relevant to a catch. Receivers catch the ball with their hands all the time without then bringing the ball to their body. Benjamin is the only receiver to have ever been held to a standard of "securing it to his body" in addition to catching it. His back foot was also still dragging when he brought the ball to his body, so that explanation doesn't even make any sense. It was a Patriots call, plain and simple. 

Speaking of Patriots calls, how embarrassing is it that their fanbase is riled up about an illegal formation call that wasn't even illegal? THAT'S the worst call they can choose to complain about. The Patriots had two touchdown drives made possible by ridiculous holding calls, and the play before Foles' TD reception was blatant pass interference against the Patriots that was just ignored. That's a potential 18-point swing (and 14-point actual swing) in favor of the Patriots due to referee bias. 

Illegal formation? GTFO.