Refs miss obvious illegal formation penalty on Foles TD catch

Big Turk

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This. Haven’t seen a replay looking for it, but I’d bet money that Jeffrey cleared it with the line judge before the snap.

Jeffrey has tweeted that I believe

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought without a doubt that they were going to over turn that TD.  

The one I thought for sure they would overturn was the RB, Clement.  I thought for sure they would rule that he didn't have clear possession on the 1st two steps and then stepped out before he regained it.  To my eyes he caught the ball, took 2 steps, then repositioned it so it would "survive the ground" but I was expecting the refs to see it differently.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jeffrey has tweeted that I believe

The one I thought for sure they would overturn was the RB, Clement.  I thought for sure they would rule that he didn't have clear possession on the 1st two steps and then stepped out before he regained it.  To my eyes he caught the ball, took 2 steps, then repositioned it so it would "survive the ground" but I was expecting the refs to see it differently.

That’s the one I was talking about.

It looked like that toe was on the white when he regained control.

58 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

I think the wr confirmed with ref he was on the line. Usually they point to ref get confirmation because it's hard to judge actual line 

Correct

Had he been too far back in the ref's opinion, he'd simply have moved up

A penalty was never in play

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Correct

Had he been too far back in the ref's opinion, he'd simply have moved up

A penalty was never in play

It still doesnt change the fact that he was too far back...its like saying that players who go in motion and tail forward towards the LOS are OK becauee they nevee get called for it...

Its a penalty they just arent calling. 

• Sad 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

It still doesnt change the fact that he was too far back...its like saying that players who go in motion and tail forward towards the LOS are OK becauee they nevee get called for it...

Its a penalty they just arent calling. 

He checked with the linesman; WRs do it every play

If you want to complain about penalties that aren't called, the conversation cannot begin anywhere except at Ineligible Lineman Downfield; it happens on every screen pass in the game and is NEVER called

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That’s the one I was talking about.

It looked like that toe was on the white when he regained control.

OK, here's the youtube clip.  Look at it with the sound off.  Especially the view at 0:31.

I think what people see is being influenced by the announcers.

What I see is that Clement has the ball caught between his R hand, his L arm, and his body.  He never bobbles it, ball never wobbles or starts to "pop up".  Both feet down.  Now, from the front, it looks like he has control, and he shifts it to his L arm so it will "survive the ground", steps OOB, and goes to the ground cradling the ball between his L hand and body.  It is allowed to manipulate the ball after you catch it!  You can cover it up, shift it from one arm to another, so forth.  Especially, the guy is an RB, that's what they're coached to do, shift the ball from one arm to another if it will better protect it from being knocked out by a defender as they go to the ground.

Collinsworth, looking at it from the side where you can't tell what is going on with Clement's hands, starts talking about how he starts to "lose control" then steps out before he recovers.  That's BS, Clement never loses control, he shifts the ball from his R hand to his L so as he goes down, he contacts first with his R arm and protects the ball with his L hand, arm, and body. 

I will admit, I thought it would be overturned, but that wasn't because I thought it should be overturned, it's because I've thought there have been outrageous overturns all season.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I care.

We should all care about the incompetent NFL officials.

I think people don't care bc it's not going to change any time soon. Or ever. They rake in the money so embarrassingly bad and inconsistent officiating is not a concern to them.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Does 3 yards off the ball appear to be on the line? He is almost in the exact same place as the wing back.

If that is considered on the line its the most liberal definition I've ever seen the refs take...he clearly is not on the line.

He's not 3 yards off the line and he checked with the ref. It also meant no difference ....just stop! The Pats deserve nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Frankly, the Patriots had so few penalties called on them it's not a big deal.  I saw several holds by Patriots players over the course of the game that weren't called on both sides of the ball.  There were also a few times that interference could have be called on the Patriots defenders but they escaped without a call.  It's clear the refs were going with a "let the boys play" philosophy last night and they were generally only calling obvious penalties. 

As for whether the Ertz final TD was a completion or not, they ended up calling him a runner - he had clearly already taken at least two strides before leaping into the endzone.  Therefore, correctly, he was ruled a runner.  In the Pittsburgh game, the receiver just leaned back after catching the ball and they ruled that he failed to have completed the catch because he did not make a "football move":

Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Jeffrey had to be on the LOS as they only had 6 players lined up on the ball instead of 7...play should have been flsgged for illegal formation...

Guess it was Pats turn to get screwed last night by the stripes Hahahahaha.

DVO-sSSUQAAUz4m.jpeg

I always thought that was a dumb rule, can anyone explain to me the logic behind the rule, specifically on this play, is there an advantage for Jeffrey to line up like this?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought without a doubt that they were going to over turn that TD.  

Yep. That’s what they have been doing, but I guess maybe we got a look at the upcoming NFL catch rule?