Refs miss obvious illegal formation penalty on Foles TD catch

Big Turk

Jeffrey had to be on the LOS as they only had 6 players lined up on the ball instead of 7...play should have been flsgged for illegal formation...

Guess it was Pats turn to get screwed last night by the stripes Hahahahaha.

DVO-sSSUQAAUz4m.jpeg

1 minute ago, mikemac2001 said:

I think the wr confirmed with ref he was on the line. Usually they point to ref get confirmation because it's hard to judge actual line 

Does 3 yards off the ball appear to be on the line? He is almost in the exact same place as the wing back.

If that is considered on the line its the most liberal definition I've ever seen the refs take...he clearly is not on the line.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Jeffrey had to be on the LOS as they only had 6 players lined up on the ball instead of 7...play should have been flsgged for illegal formation...

Guess it was Pats turn to get screwed last night by the stripes Hahahahaha.

DVO-sSSUQAAUz4m.jpeg

Yeah, two yards back is not "close enough."

But I'm okay with it this time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Does 3 yards off the ball appear to be on the line? He is almost in the exact same place as the wing back

If the ref confirms he is on the line then yes. That's why they check with the refs. It's not broken down by centimeters that's why they have to the system and if the ref says no they move forward you see this almost every play 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

If the ref confirms he is on the line then yes. That's why they check with the refs. It's not broken down by centimeters that's why they have to the system and if the ref says no they move forward you see this almost every play 

I'm well aware of how it works. That doesnt mean it was right. What is he looking at?

11 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

I think the wr confirmed with ref he was on the line. Usually they point to ref get confirmation because it's hard to judge actual line 

This. Haven’t seen a replay looking for it, but I’d bet money that Jeffrey cleared it with the line judge before the snap.

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I do not in anyway feel bad for the Patriots or that this may have been a missed call. The Patriots have had SO MANY CALLS go their way over the years, I couldn't care less. 

I care.

We should all care about the incompetent NFL officials.

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This. Haven’t seen a replay looking for it, but I’d bet money that Jeffrey cleared it with the line judge before the snap.

Per MMQB:

"...One more note about this: After the play, Twitter was filled with people saying the Eagles were short one man on the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball. The NFL requires seven offensive players to be on the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. And it does appear that six Eagles were within a yard of the line, which is permissible, and the seventh, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, to the top of the formation, was two yards off the line. In theory, the officials could have called an illegal formation with only six men on the line.

Except Jeffery claimed he got the okay from the official on the right sideline. The way formation rules work, players can look over at a side judge or other official nearby to see if he’s in the permissible spot.

“I’m on the ball,” Jeffery said. “I pointed. What are you talking about? Man, you know I checked with the ref!”

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Does 3 yards off the ball appear to be on the line? He is almost in the exact same place as the wing back.

If that is considered on the line its the most liberal definition I've ever seen the refs take...he clearly is not on the line.

He does not need to be on the line. All players line up a yard back on hip of center.

He needs to cover the offensive lineman on the end of the line. All OL line up about a yard back from the ball with head centered on the hip of the center. That is considered legal.

The WR in this case asked the ref two times if he was on the line and got the thumbs up ea time, so he was legal. If he then moved up a half or 1 yard he risked an off sides flag as ref just told him 2x from his vantage point he was on LOS. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Per MMQB:

"...One more note about this: After the play, Twitter was filled with people saying the Eagles were short one man on the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball. The NFL requires seven offensive players to be on the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. And it does appear that six Eagles were within a yard of the line, which is permissible, and the seventh, wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, to the top of the formation, was two yards off the line. In theory, the officials could have called an illegal formation with only six men on the line.

Except Jeffery claimed he got the okay from the official on the right sideline. The way formation rules work, players can look over at a side judge or other official nearby to see if he’s in the permissible spot.

“I’m on the ball,” Jeffery said. “I pointed. What are you talking about? Man, you know I checked with the ref!”

There ya go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1