Mason & Washington

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

People should stop complaining about Mason going to us with a latter 1st round pick

QBs get overdrafted....but you have to try

It wont matter if they were overdrafted if they workout to be a franchise player. Problem is that if they dont all you will hear about is how they took that player too high.

4 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Was really intrigued by idea of taking Mason Rudolph and James Washington back-to-back.  May not have to move at all.  You have a 6'5" QB and your X, Y and a new Z receiver.  You give your QB his college security blanket.  Sign a Bradford/Keenum type as a bridge and away you go.  What do people think?

We need a depth WR so can't see taking one in first three rounds and actually prefer we sign a vet to fill the role. Bruce Ellington. Fits the mold of a slot WR who can also play the return man role. 

I like your thinking here, and I've seen it mentioned before. While I'm not so sure of the value Washington represents in the 1st, it is difficult to argue that 22 is too high for a highly productive 3-year starter at QB. Whether people like Rudolph as a prospect or not, QBs get overdrafted. 

If we cant get one of the top 3 QBs, Mason is the only other QB id be ok witn us drafting as long as we dont trade up for him.

Still think Mayfield is the way to go here. Solid QB can start day one, only have to trade up to #5

Clutch trait, accurate, makes progressions, loves the game. 

Kid is gonna be the one.

I was recently watching some stuff on Rudolph. Just some thoughts. He needs time. He is a bit more raw than I would like in a QB in the first. I don't know a ton about him as a person or work ethic. Missing some of the things EJ was coming out of college. He had a tremendous work ethic and wasn't able to over come his anticipation in regards to timing throws. 

If the staff loves him, grab him, and I will trust them. But I wouldn't just take him because I need a QB. It is guys like this that flame out with very QB needy teams. He needs some work. I am sure somebody will though. If he is there for us in the 2nd, by all means, run to the podium and take a flyer on the kid. 

Pros:

-Good long ball. 

-Keeps his eyes down field when he has to scramble.

-Has enough zip to fit the ball into tight spaces.

-Can make all the throws

-Athletic enough to be a runner at times.  

Cons:

-Wonky mechanics at times

-Doesn't throw with enough anticipation. Receivers do A LOT of coming back to the ball sometimes. 

-Doesn't look comfortable in a messy pocket. 

-His receivers are generally VERY OPEN. 

-Head movement/reads can look erratic. Also has a tendency to lock on. 

On 05/02/2018 at 2:02 PM, The Jokeman said:

We need a depth WR so can't see taking one in first three rounds and actually prefer we sign a vet to fill the role. Bruce Ellington. Fits the mold of a slot WR who can also play the return man role. 

I disagree, I think all they really have is depth WRs unless Zay improves, Benjamin and even Matthews are their next best and those guys are having trouble staying healthy. Depth WRs are all they have....