Gronk contemplating retirement - to pursue acting career per report

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve watched Antonio gates box people out for a decade. 

This is where I think he is if he retires now. 

Gates averages 767 yards and 7.6 TD's per year, 52 yards and 0.52 TD's per game  

Gronk averages 897 yards and 9.5 TD's per year. 70 yards and 0.75 TD's per game.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, NoSaint said:

If he ends up the 5th best of the era, and there are only 8 tight ends in the Hall to date— will voters stretch to pull in that many guys? Obviously the position has changed but the receiving nature of it puts him against a glut of WRs too.

He's not the fifth best of his era; he's better than all of those other guys. For one, he's a DOMINANT blocker as a TE, and far, far better than all of those guys who put up the big receiving numbers. Remember, for HOF voting, there are career stats and peak five-year run stats (baseball does this too - i.e., Sandy Koufax). He's simply better than everyone of those other guys, and I think it's flat out crazy to argue otherwise. 

29 minutes ago, iinii said:

That’s great news. Brady will have to find a new BFF and I don’t watch the kind of movies Gronkowski would “star” in.

He could star as a box of rocks.  

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He's not the fifth best of his era; he's better than all of those other guys. For one, he's a DOMINANT blocker as a TE, and far, far better than all of those guys who put up the big receiving numbers. Remember, for HOF voting, there are career stats and peak five-year run stats (baseball does this too - i.e., Sandy Koufax). He's simply better than everyone of those other guys, and I think it's flat out crazy to argue otherwise. 

Even his peak stats are a challenge though - as he’s had injuries. I showed jimmys 3 year upthread (3500 plus 36 tds) as better. I’d guess a 5 year run is pretty close between the two. 

Again, I think you have a strong case for him being the best —but I think it gets shaky if you start portraying it like he’s lapped the field. And I wasn’t arguing he’s 5th best but that it’s 5th (or 6th or possibly lower even...) statistically if he retires today. 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Even his peak stats are a challenge though - as he’s had injuries. I showed jimmys 3 year upthread (3500 plus 36 tds) as better. I’d guess a 5 year run is pretty close between the two. 

Again, I think you have a strong case for him being the best —but I think it gets shaky if you start portraying it like he’s lapped the field. And I wasn’t arguing he’s 5th best but that it’s 5th (or 6th or possibly lower even...) statistically if he retires today. 

One thing you didn't mention is his blocking, which is great. Graham is a *terrible* blocker. Blocking matters at that position.  

Check it out: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-rob-gronkowski-is-the-nfls-best-offensive-player-patriots

Edited by dave mcbride

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

One thing you didn't mention is his blocking, which is great. Graham is a *terrible* blocker. Blocking matters at that position.  

Check it out: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-rob-gronkowski-is-the-nfls-best-offensive-player-patriots

I don’t disagree on blocking being part — but it’s secondary for me

and im not arguing graham is the greatest- just an easy example as they have very similar stats and I watched him week in and week out (though graham had better pre Seattle). Would Gates 2005-2009 be a better 5 year example? Gonzalez 2004-2008 was also excellent though less touchdowns.

Remember, this hypothetical is if gronk retires today— what order do all these guys all get in? 

Obviously tony g goes... then gates? Witten? 

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

Gates averages 767 yards and 7.6 TD's per year, 52 yards and 0.52 TD's per game  

Gronk averages 897 yards and 9.5 TD's per year. 70 yards and 0.75 TD's per game.

To be fair gates came in a basketball player, and now is 37. Career averages should strongly favor the polished football player that’s playing in his prime. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair gates came in a basketball player, and now is 37. Career averages should strongly favor the polished football player that’s playing in his prime. 

Agree, but I dont think it matters how you choose the years, if you get to a per game average Gronk is significantly ahead.

Just now, mattynh said:

Agree, but I dont think it matters how you choose the years, if you get to a per game average Gronk is significantly ahead.

but I bet if you normalize it by removing the first year of gates career (learning the position) and last couple years (breaking down) the averages would be closer, right? I’m not doing the math now but I’d guess that it tightens up 

On 2/11/2018 at 3:43 PM, BucketList said:

Who cares.  I would think that Hollywood would not be interested in someone that suffers from roid rage.  

There goes Buffalo Barbarian's chance of breaking into Hollywood.

Maybe he should try Bollywood instead.

7 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

Don't you need to know how to read to be an actor. 

There have been actors who could not read; read story on how he almost hid it whole career but got away with because his assistant would read his script with in later years it being taped for him and despite his inability to read he had an excellent memory.

6 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I hear Disney is looking for a replacement for Goofy

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

it would be amazing if he hung em up. no way to replace a hall of famer like that. 

You are right, there is no way he could replace Goofy.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

There goes Buffalo Barbarian's chance of breaking into Hollywood.

Maybe he should try Bollywood instead.

There have been actors who could not read; read story on how he almost hid it whole career but got away with because his assistant would read his script with in later years it being taped for him and despite his inability to read he had an excellent memory.

You are right, there is no way he could replace Goofy.

Dopey for sure.  And who is the actor you're talking about?

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dopey for sure.  And who is the actor you're talking about?

Not really remember; I was reading an article on a movie and then did a search like I often do on actors/actresses in movie and saw article on this veteran character actor who never read the script (I was thinking Billy Joe Hobert type) and then read article on him mentioning his disability (he had a 6th grade reading ability,  I remember him being from the deep south).  I went down a rabbit hole and only remembered the interesting tidbit not on how I got there. I definitely have (medically diagnosed) memory issues.