The Thread For Greg's Stashes

3rdnlng

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but wtf is the world coming to?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/american-cyclist-suspended-by-team-after-pro-trump-comments/ar-BB19ByJ7?li=BBnb7Kz

The 2019 junior road race world champion replied to a journalist from the Netherlands who had criticized Trump on Twitter.

“Regrettably, team rider Quinn Simmons made statements online that we feel are divisive, incendiary, and detrimental to the team, professional cycling, its fans, and the positive future we hope to help create for the sport,” Trek-Segafredo said in a statement. "(He) will not be racing for Trek-Segafredo until further notice.”

The 19-year-old rider reacted Wednesday when Dutch journalist José Been posted on Twitter that she hoped for her American friends that “this horrible presidency ends for you,” adding “if you follow me and support Trump, you can go.”

When a separate account replied “Apparently a Trumper,” Simmons countered “That’s right” with a United States flag symbol.

Edited by 3rdnlng
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

CAR SEATS AS CONTRACEPTION: 

Since 1977, U.S. states have passed laws steadily raising the age for which a child must ride in a car safety seat. These laws significantly raise the cost of having a third child, as many regular-sized cars cannot fit three child seats in the back. Using census data and state-year variation in laws, we estimate that when women have two children of ages requiring mandated car seats, they have a lower annual probability of giving birth by 0.73 percentage points.

Consistent with a causal channel, this effect is limited to third child births, is concentrated in households with access to a car, and is larger when a male is present (when both front seats are likely to be occupied). We estimate that these laws prevented only 57 car crash fatalities of children nationwide in 2017.

Simultaneously, they led to a permanent reduction of approximately 8,000 births in the same year, and 145,000 fewer births since 1980, with 90% of this decline being since 2000.”

I was writing about this in 2006.

by Glenn Reynolds