The Thread For Greg's Stashes

3rdnlng

One of my uncles was on the Arizona the day of the Japanese attack. He just went topside to go on watch and relieve his best friend. His friend went down to the bunk my uncle had just vacated and he didn’t make it out. 

• Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

My uncle made out okay, but he was a changed man from then on. He became a real alkie. 

He ended up playing in Tommy Dorsey’s band after the war though. 

The Arizona was the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet’s flagship. As such the Navy band was stationed on it for all the ceremonial fal-de-rah. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bald eagle wins duel with state's $950 drone, sending it to the bottom of Lake Michigan

In the battle for air supremacy, a bald eagle just proved that technology is no match for brute strength. The giant bird recently attacked a drone, destroying it and sending it to the bottom of Lake Michigan.

A bald eagle in Michigan's Upper Peninsula "launched an airborne attack" on a drone operated by the state's Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) late last month, the department said Thursday. During the squabble, the eagle tore off the drone's propeller, making the device plummet 162 feet through the air and into the lake.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Bald eagle wins duel with state's $950 drone, sending it to the bottom of Lake Michigan

In the battle for air supremacy, a bald eagle just proved that technology is no match for brute strength. The giant bird recently attacked a drone, destroying it and sending it to the bottom of Lake Michigan.

A bald eagle in Michigan's Upper Peninsula "launched an airborne attack" on a drone operated by the state's Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) late last month, the department said Thursday. During the squabble, the eagle tore off the drone's propeller, making the device plummet 162 feet through the air and into the lake.

</snip>

th?id=OIP.ogweDpKjy4vp11Twk11C3gHaFj&pid

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Nanker said:

My uncle made out okay, but he was a changed man from then on. He became a real alkie. 

He ended up playing in Tommy Dorsey’s band after the war though. 

The Arizona was the Admiral of the Pacific Fleet’s flagship. As such the Navy band was stationed on it for all the ceremonial fal-de-rah. 

...good Lord my friend, a story of valor, patriotism and service to country.....hope I'm wrong, but WW II service probably means he is no longer with us....Godspeed, RIP and thank you for your service Uncle...terribly sad that sacrifices like this paved the way for today only to be viewed as non-sequitor by our current societal flotilla......shame....

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good Lord my friend, a story of valor, patriotism and service to country.....hope I'm wrong, but WW II service probably means he is no longer with us....Godspeed, RIP and thank you for your service Uncle...terribly sad that sacrifices like this paved the way for today only to be viewed as non-sequitor by our current societal flotilla......shame....

Yes, he passed away some years ago and his immediate family wanted him interred there. I’m somewhat estranged from them, so I don’t know if that actually happened, but like so many of his fellow shipmates that “made it off,” he wanted to be laid to rest there. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Even assuming Trump has shrunk and inch or two with age, Barron is one tall kid! I wonder if he is on his school's basketball team?

Damn.

For sake of scale, Donald Trump is 6'3" tall.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1