The Thread For Greg's Stashes

3rdnlng

Physicists claim to have found NEW force of nature which may unravel one of the universe’s greatest MYSTERIES

... The new boson couldn't be mistaken for one of its existing counterparts as it has a particularly distinctive mass – 17 megaelectronvolts (or roughly 33 times that of an electron). They also don't live very long, lasting just 10 to the minus 14 seconds. 

The team wanted to replicate their theory of a possible fifth force governed by a new boson but shifted focus from beryllium to helium nuclei, in which pairs of electrons and positrons also separated at an angle that didn't align with current modelling (115 degrees). 

By reverse-engineering their observations, the team posit that the helium's nucleus could also have produced a short-lived boson with a mass of roughly, you guessed it, 17 megaelectronvolts – hence its name name X17.

The latest study is yet to be peer reviewed but the team's previous research was accepted by the journal Physical Review Letters

Once their findings have been thoroughly pored over, we may finally have a solution to the long-standing and often bemusing problem of accounting for dark matter which makes up the vast majority of the universe and is believed to be responsible for some truly baffling behaviour among the stars.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The gofundme was easily reached. He will be getting his own pair, and the rest will be donated to a foundation that purchases color blind glasses for those who cannot afford them. 

I saw a video of something similar a couple weeks back. It was a middle-aged man who was given a pair by his adult children. His total amazement was pretty cool and I have to admit it was very touching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I saw a video of something similar a couple weeks back. It was a middle-aged man who was given a pair by his adult children. His total amazement was pretty cool and I have to admit it was very touching.

We're truly blessed to live in a time when some of these tragic conditions can be alleviated. Hearing, seeing, and seeing colors for the first time must be totally overwhelming for someone who has lived for years in the darkness and silence those afflictions brought to them. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=adult+hears+for+the+first+time

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Is this the right place for these?  No one ever answers me so I guess so.

DR, I have begged you to NOT HELP ME, to simply leave me alone, to STFU.  You are full of crap.  Why would I want intellectual assistance from a fool?  That is why I have become hostile.  You won't leave me alone.  You are a ***** parasite.  Go away.

You have prevented me from enjoying this board because you can't let me post anywhere without interjecting.  Again, just interact with the fools that like your BS and leave me alone.  I think any other poster here would do that.  You are beyond obsessed dude.  You are ***** in the head.

You need some help.  Don't you have real life friends that recognize that you have gone off the deep end?   Maybe some 800 number or website could turn you around.  You need something.  You are ***** in the head, just in case you missed that point.

Just now, Bob in Mich said:

DR, I have begged you to NOT HELP ME, to simply leave me alone, to STFU.  You are full of crap.  Why would I want intellectual assistance from a fool?  That is why I have become hostile.  You won't leave me alone.  You are a ***** parasite.  Go away.

You have prevented me from enjoying this board because you can't let me post anywhere without interjecting.  Again, just interact with the fools that like your BS and leave me alone.  I think any other poster here would do that.  You are beyond obsessed dude.  You are ***** in the head.

You need some help.  Don't you have real life friends that recognize that you have gone off the deep end?   Maybe some 800 number or website could turn you around.  You need something.  You are ***** in the head, just in case you missed that point.

Image result for I live in your head gif

2 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

3hc8jh.jpg

• Haha (+1) 9

On 11/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, Foxx said:

Physicists claim to have found NEW force of nature which may unravel one of the universe’s greatest MYSTERIES

... The new boson couldn't be mistaken for one of its existing counterparts as it has a particularly distinctive mass – 17 megaelectronvolts (or roughly 33 times that of an electron). They also don't live very long, lasting just 10 to the minus 14 seconds. 

The team wanted to replicate their theory of a possible fifth force governed by a new boson but shifted focus from beryllium to helium nuclei, in which pairs of electrons and positrons also separated at an angle that didn't align with current modelling (115 degrees). 

By reverse-engineering their observations, the team posit that the helium's nucleus could also have produced a short-lived boson with a mass of roughly, you guessed it, 17 megaelectronvolts – hence its name name X17.

The latest study is yet to be peer reviewed but the team's previous research was accepted by the journal Physical Review Letters

Once their findings have been thoroughly pored over, we may finally have a solution to the long-standing and often bemusing problem of accounting for dark matter which makes up the vast majority of the universe and is believed to be responsible for some truly baffling behaviour among the stars.

supporting article.

A 'no-brainer Nobel Prize': Hungarian scientists may have found a fifth force of nature

... The findings point toward the Holy Grail of physics

To move their breakthrough idea from 2016 forward, the Hungarians would need to repeat the results again. That's exactly what their 2019 results do.

Feng says that, barring experimental error, there was only a one-in-a-trillion chance that the results were caused by anything other than the X17 particle, and this new fifth force.

He added that if another research group could repeat these results with a third type of atom in addition to beryllium and helium, "that would blow the cover off this thing."

Experimental research groups have already been contacting him, hungry to do that.

More sightings of the fifth force could lead to scientists settling on a specific name for it, understanding its workings more deeply, and developing practical applications for how to harness its power.

They're leading us closer to what's considered the Holy Grail in physics, which Albert Einstein had pursued but never achieved. Physicists hope to create a "unified field theory," which would coherently explain all cosmic forces from the formation of galaxies down to the quirks of quarks.

But the universe isn't giving up its secrets easily.

"There's no reason to stop at the fifth," Feng said. "There could be a sixth, seventh, and eighth force." ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2