The Thread For Greg's Stashes

3rdnlng

Navy seal goes to Yale

https://gen.medium.com/my-semester-with-the-snowflakes-888285f0e662?

May of 2019, I was accepted to the Eli Whitney student program at Yale University.

At 52, I am the oldest freshman in the class of 2023. Before I was accepted, I didn’t really know what to expect. I had seen the infamous YouTube video of students screaming at a faculty member. I had seen the news stories regarding the admissions scandal and that Yale was included in that unfortunate business. I had also heard the students at Yale referred to as “snowflakes” in various social media dumpsters and occasionally I’d seen references to Ivy League students as snowflakes in a few news sources.

I should give a bit of background information. I was an unimpressive and difficult student in public schools. I joined the military at 17 and spent close to 26 years in the US Navy. I was assigned, for 22 of those years to Naval Special Warfare Commands. I went through SEAL training twice, quit the first time and barely made it the second time. I did multiple deployments and was wounded in combat in 2009 on a mission to rescue an American hostage.

Every single day I went to work with much better humans than myself. I was brought to a higher level of existence because the standards were high and one needed to earn their slot, their membership in the unit. This wasn’t a one-time deal. Every time you showed up for work, you needed to prove your worth.

The vetting process is difficult and the percentages of those who try out for special operations units and make it through the screening is very low.

In an odd parallel, I feel, in spite of my short time here, the same about Yale.

After receiving my acceptance email and returning to consciousness, I decided to move to Connecticut and do my best in this new environment. Many people have asked me why I want to attend college at 52, and why at an Ivy League institution like Yale? I could have easily stayed in Virginia and attended a community college close to my home. Well, based on my upbringing in the military, I associated a difficult vetting process’ with quality and opportunity. I was correct in that guess. More importantly, I simply want to be a better human being. I feel like getting a world-class education at an amazing institution like Yale will help me reach that goal. Are there other places to get a great education? Of course, but I chose Yale.

My first class of the semester was absolutely terrifying. I don’t know if it was so for the kids in my class, but it damn sure was for me. It was a literature seminar with the amazing Sterling Professor of Comparative Literature, Professor David Quint. He is an amazing human in that he has dedicated his life to literature, and he knows what he is talking about. The discussion was centered around the Iliad. I had read a bit of the Iliad in the middle part of my military career and decidedly didn’t get it. Listening to Professor Quint demonstrated exactly how much I didn’t “get it.” The other students looked like children to me. Hell, they are children, but when they speak, and some of them speak english as their second language, they sound like very well-spoken adults. My Navy issued graduate degree in cussing wasn’t going to help me out here. These young students had a good grasp of the literature and although they lacked much experience to bounce it off of, they were certainly “all in” on trying to figure out its underlying meaning.

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

This is awesome.  In the spirit of this, the next time Tre White has an interception, I'm going to start going on about "White supremacy" or something.

That woman is an idiot (she admitted she was dumb in a later tweet).

This is a great reddit thread on just how big a dummy she really is, along with other UUUUUUs mistakes. Fifth or sixth comment down is BRUUUUUCE and why the guy was confused Bills fans were booing Bruce Smith. ?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That woman is an idiot (she admitted she was dumb in a later tweet).

This is a great reddit thread on just how big a dummy she really is, along with other UUUUUUs mistakes. Fifth or sixth comment down is BRUUUUUCE and why the guy was confused Bills fans were booing Bruce Smith. ?

Of course she is.  That's what makes it funny.

15 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

That could mean both parents, and grandparents,  had a kid in their 40's.

It's possible either her grandfather or one of her parents had children later in life

It's also possible the WWII vet grandfather, the 20 year old student, or both are figments of a Narrative

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I took the time to read your link further and am amazed that a girl, about 20 years old would have a grandfather who fought in WW2. 

Eh, two of President Tyler's grandsons are still alive. He was president between 1841 and 1845.

First chip-to-chip quantum teleportation harnessing silicon photonic chip fabrication

... Scientists from the University of Bristol, in collaboration with the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), have successfully developed chip-scale devices that are able to harness the applications of quantum physics by generating and manipulating single particles of light within programmable nanoscale circuits.

These chips are able to encode quantum information in light generated inside the circuits and can process the "quantum information" with high efficiency and extremely low noise. ...

...In one of the breakthrough experiments, researchers at the University of Bristol's Quantum Engineering Technology Labs (QET Labs) demonstrate the quantum teleportation of information between two programmable chip for the first time, which they remark is a cornerstone of quantum communications and quantum computing. ...

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

First chip-to-chip quantum teleportation harnessing silicon photonic chip fabrication

... Scientists from the University of Bristol, in collaboration with the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), have successfully developed chip-scale devices that are able to harness the applications of quantum physics by generating and manipulating single particles of light within programmable nanoscale circuits.

These chips are able to encode quantum information in light generated inside the circuits and can process the "quantum information" with high efficiency and extremely low noise. ...

...In one of the breakthrough experiments, researchers at the University of Bristol's Quantum Engineering Technology Labs (QET Labs) demonstrate the quantum teleportation of information between two programmable chip for the first time, which they remark is a cornerstone of quantum communications and quantum computing. ...

Not as big a deal a they make it sound - physics-wise, it's a pretty big deal.  But it's nowhere near being even an engineered solution.  At best, equivalent to creating the first transistor, which is a far cry from an Intel chip.

But again..."the first transistor" puts them in company with John Bardeen.  So it's no small thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1