The Thread For Greg's Stashes

3rdnlng

13 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That is absolutely fascinating.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Didn't that also happen earlier this year?

There's a handful of videos circulating of these things. I ran across them a while back while searching for footage of a particularly nasty "normal" tornado that swept through the area.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I wouldn't discount it, but this is a phenomenon I was completely unaware of prior to Buffalo_Gal's posting it in this thread.

I think it was also in CA in the summer.  Very apocalyptic scenes

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I wouldn't discount it, but this is a phenomenon I was completely unaware of prior to Buffalo_Gal's posting it in this thread.

I was aware of it, but from reports from the bombings of Hamburg, Tokyo, and Dresden.

So if you were ever wondering what it was like to live through a good old-fashioned WWII firebombing...yeah, this is pretty much it.  Terrifying stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

I was aware of it, but from reports from the bombings of Hamburg, Tokyo, and Dresden.

So if you were ever wondering what it was like to live through a good old-fashioned WWII firebombing...yeah, this is pretty much it.  Terrifying stuff.

Being an optimist, is the silver lining then we can expect one or two of the survivors to pen the next Slaugherhouse-Five?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I posted this in OTW, and am tossing it here in case you haven't seen it. Absolutely fascinating video.

Im glad she is okay, and I hate to be negative about this... But isn't it pretty crazy that she willingly came very close to burning alive in order to save some horses? 

Horses are great, but come on.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Im glad she is okay, and I hate to be negative about this... But isn't it pretty crazy that she willingly came very close to burning alive in order to save some horses? 

Horses are great, but come on.

It's California.

Plus...these fires move fast.  They're driven by Santa Ana winds that can blow 40mph or more, so an area can go from "clear" to "inferno" in a few hours.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

It's California.

Plus...these fires move fast.  They're driven by Santa Ana winds that can blow 40mph or more, so an area can go from "clear" to "inferno" in a few hours.  

Very true. And I hope this is just a case of nobody knowing where they are going. It would really bother me to know (as I am sure is happening) that people would go towards one of these and risk their lives knowingly for any number of any animals. 

But it is California

Just now, whatdrought said:

Very true. And I hope this is just a case of nobody knowing where they are going. It would really bother me to know (as I am sure is happening) that people would go towards one of these and risk their lives knowingly for any number of any animals. 

But it is California

Well, that separates people like you from men like me. But, each their own

Just now, DC Tom said:

It's California.

I was wondering what sort of notice someone would get. We have horses and alpacas, and have an “in-case” evac plan and we live in GA. Not wildfire central but not unheard of. Someone with a large barn/boarding contingent would be looking at more than half a dozen trips if they didn’t have multiple rigs to move the animals.

Just now, Kevbeau said:

I was wondering what sort of notice someone would get. We have horses and alpacas, and have an “in-case” evac plan and we live in GA. Not wildfire central but not unheard of. Someone with a large barn/boarding contingent would be looking at more than half a dozen trips if they didn’t have multiple rigs to move the animals.

For one of my certifications I must provide contingency plans for emergencies like this, one of my options is that I track my animals all the way to Buffalo. You have to have plans in the ability to haul your animal over 200 miles away if there is a true disaster.  I have the resources to do so only when I rely on others. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Meaning? 

Meaning that some choose to face the danger and risk and some don't. Some choose the meaning of their life to the definition of others lives, it all depends on what you seek as your salvation when your peace is given and soul is settled.  I could not tolerate myself in such a case to allow this to happen to my animals

I think most commercial/semi commercial operations would have to rely on others. You would know better than me.

We have a semi-local option (60miles away) and then the western New York option (900 miles) I would hope the folks in CA had such plans in place. Hence my comment to Tom on how much notice would they get. 

As as a side note, we used to take in horses being evacuated from hurricane zones, but had too many people that just abandoned them afterwards. I get that they may have had larger issues to deal with, but now we only provide harbor for people we know.

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

For one of my certifications I must provide contingency plans for emergencies like this, one of my options is that I track my animals all the way to Buffalo. You have to have plans in the ability to haul your animal over 200 miles away if there is a true disaster.  I have the resources to do so only when I rely on others. 

Meaning that some choose to face the danger and risk and some don't. Some choose the meaning of their life to the definition of others lives, it all depends on what you seek as your salvation when your peace is given and soul is settled.  I could not tolerate myself in such a case to allow this to happen to my animals

I can understand that, and I don't begrudge that choice. 

I think it's hard to argue an animals life for a human life, but I also realize that in the discussed conversation it isn't specifically a 1 for 1 trade, but rather an attempt at saving the animals with an acceptable risk to the human. 

36 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I can understand that, and I don't begrudge that choice. 

I think it's hard to argue an animals life for a human life, but I also realize that in the discussed conversation it isn't specifically a 1 for 1 trade, but rather an attempt at saving the animals with an acceptable risk to the human. 

https://www.boredpanda.com/fukushima-radioactive-disaster-abandoned-animal-guardian-naoto-matsumura/