Deal of the Century

Foreigner

25 minutes ago, CSBill said:

This just in, "the Patriots are good."

I'm going to need a 2nd opinion on this....:ph34r:

I don't think NE drafts better than anyone...I will admit however, that they do OK considering they always drafts in the high 20's low 30's ....that parity thing ain't working...at all.....

Edited by Iron Maiden

We all know TT is not great, but he played better than 24 other QBs (19-43) last year who played, many of them

starters. He is a starter in the NFL and with better OC and Rs who can catch the ball and run routes

he will probably start wherever he goes next year. Of course he is not better than NP as many on the board

willl tell you. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

The Pats don’t draft better than everyone.  They don’t even really draft that well.

BB is not some amazing GM.  He IS an amazing coach, and has the greatest QB of all time.  That covers a lot of personnel mistakes.

Agreed, though they do have good scouting to ID under-the-radar talent as UDFA and scout teams around the league.

Another factor is that they have had great continuity in coaching and scheme.  They aren't just teaching the bones of their plays from year to year.  There's an expectation that if you're going to stay on the Pats roster, you better get into the playbook and get deep in the playbook, on your own, so that the coaches can fine-tune.

35 minutes ago, CSBill said:

This just in, "the Patriots*** are good."

When you say that.....don't misplace your asterisks.  FIFY.  You're welcome.

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree that they coach better and, most importantly, have the greatest QB ever and he his playing on a comparatively inexpensive contract.  I don’t think that they necessarily draft better than other teams.  Brady’s play and Belichick’s coaching account for most of their success.

i forget who said it, but it was a high profile NFL coach or GM: He (Belichick) can take his and beat your’s and he can take your’s and beat his.

That was Wade's papa, talking about Shula.

And the Pats draft extremely well for the fact that they draft late with great regularity. They have a system ... collect comp picks, trade down and collect more picks, trade a 3rd this year and get a 2nd next year, get higher value. They don't convert picks to great players any more than anyone else. Maybe less, as they're drafting so very low. It's harder down there. But they have more chances because of their system and that has brought them a lot of terrific drafted players over the years.

Including Brady, a comp pick.

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Having said that, TT has had 4 OCs in 3 years, a new system with each one.

That's really stretching it. They didn't put in a new system when Roman was fired in week three. They basically simplified Roman's system under Lynn. You can hardly call that a new system.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Great article today in the Daily News (New York) about all NFL QBs and the salary cap.

As we all know, New England is better than anyone in NFL, not withstanding winning or losing today.

They draft better than anyone, they coach better than anyone, and the only head coach in the league to

have full roster control is Bill Belichick, although I think McDermott comes close as he brought Beane

from Carolina. Anyway, the Pats lead the league in having undrafted free agents with 18, 34% of the roster.

7new key players on D this past year, and on O, only 1 starter who was a Pats 1st round pick.

The point of the lengthy article is how QBs played this season in comparison to the salery cap hit their

team took for them.A lot of you know that Tom Brady, the 3rd best rated QB in the league  had his 2017

QB salary % of the cap 19th of 43, meaning the Pats had a lot of money left over to sign free agents.

The Bills had Taylor the 18th rated QB, and 22nd against the Cap with a little under 5% of his salary 

against the cap.  The worst situation is Joe Flacco who dealt the Ravens a cap hit of 14.5% of their cap space.

Whether it means anything to you, QB play rated under Taylor this past year include Prescott, Carr, Dalton,

Bortles, Palmer, Brissett, Foles, Mariota, Cutler, Newton, Manning, and Flacco.

What does this all mean, maybe nothing, but maybe Taylor is not costing a horrible sum against the cap,

and just because the Bills can draft in quantity in the draft, doesn't mean they can draft their way into the SB.

Tom Brady plays with the most team friendly salary in any major sport.

He doesn't care how much he makes and takes less money to make his chances of winning Super Bowls higher.

He and his wife are worth an estimated 540,000,000.00.

Tom Brady as quarterback for the New England Patriots is an absolute fluke of nature.

When will people stop trying to compare him and anyone else in football?

3 hours ago, Foreigner said:

They did get good players like you described,along with the following draft choices who did okay.

J  Brissett         2016

J  Garoppolo    2014

J  White            2014

D  Hightower   2012

C Jones            2012

N Solder           2011

S Vareen           2011

R Mallett           2011

D McCourtney 2010

R Gronkowsky   2010

P Chung           2009

D Butler            2009

J Edelman       2009  and if you want to go back to 2006 S. Gostkowsky,  so don't tell me they can't draft,

and go back to all the teams that passed on TB12.

According to this math they hit on about 20 percent of their draft picks.??

Tyrod is not a good QB...hell of a running back really...kinda reminds me of Slash from the Pittsburg Steelers. Slash would turn some heads on certain plays,  but in the end he just couldn't get the job done..no matter how much we liked him and rooted for him (myself) the end results was they needed a better QB. Just like Us....

The Patriots do NOT draft better than anyone. They have plenty of busts. They draft right around average. Except with their one lucky pick in the 6th round 28 years ago in Brady.

Arguably the Bills draft better than them since they keep signing our players in FA

Edited by matter2003

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That was Wade's papa, talking about Shula.

And the Pats draft extremely well for the fact that they draft late with great regularity. They have a system ... collect comp picks, trade down and collect more picks, trade a 3rd this year and get a 2nd next year, get higher value. They don't convert picks to great players any more than anyone else. Maybe less, as they're drafting so very low. It's harder down there. But they have more chances because of their system and that has brought them a lot of terrific drafted players over the years.

Including Brady, a comp pick.

That's really stretching it. They didn't put in a new system when Roman was fired in week three. They basically simplified Roman's system under Lynn. You can hardly call that a new system.

For sure, the Pats often trade down for extra picks or trade a current year pick for a future pick one round earlier.  The link below shows several years that they had multiple 2nd/3rd round picks.  From a glance, I didn't see many brilliant picks in there.  I think that you are right that they don't hit on a higher rate of selections, but they have more chances.

I still think, though, that Brady and Belichick are the reason that they have won so much rather than their draft system.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

22 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

For sure, the Pats often trade down for extra picks or trade a current year pick for a future pick one round earlier.  The link below shows several years that they had multiple 2nd/3rd round picks.  From a glance, I didn't see many brilliant picks in there.  I think that you are right that they don't hit on a higher rate of selections, but they have more chances.

I still think, though, that Brady and Belichick are the reason that they have won so much rather than their draft system.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

Yeah, Brady and Belichick, but it's precisely Belichick who uses that draft system. I hate Belichick but he's smart and he drafts that way for a reason.

And again, Brady was a comp pick. Extra picks mean extra chances.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, Success said:

The Pats don’t draft better than everyone.  They don’t even really draft that well.

BB is not some amazing GM.  He IS an amazing coach, and has the greatest QB of all time.  That covers a lot of personnel mistakes.

This is the reality from perspective too. They’ve had a lot of draft misses, but when you have Brady you win anyway.

For example, look at the respective rosters of the Eagles and the Pats. The Eagles have better players at every single position except QB and TE, yet it was a close down to the wire game. That just shows you what having the best QB of all time QB means.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, matter2003 said:

The Patriots do NOT draft better than anyone. They have plenty of busts. They draft right around average. Except with their one lucky pick in the 6th round 28 years ago in Brady.

Arguably the Bills draft better than them since they keep signing our players in FA

The Bills have been the anti-Patriots: bringing in good players at every position except the one that matters most.

Edited by vincec