Deal of the Century

Foreigner

Great article today in the Daily News (New York) about all NFL QBs and the salary cap.

As we all know, New England is better than anyone in NFL, not withstanding winning or losing today.

They draft better than anyone, they coach better than anyone, and the only head coach in the league to

have full roster control is Bill Belichick, although I think McDermott comes close as he brought Beane

from Carolina. Anyway, the Pats lead the league in having undrafted free agents with 18, 34% of the roster.

7new key players on D this past year, and on O, only 1 starter who was a Pats 1st round pick.

The point of the lengthy article is how QBs played this season in comparison to the salery cap hit their

team took for them.A lot of you know that Tom Brady, the 3rd best rated QB in the league  had his 2017

QB salary % of the cap 19th of 43, meaning the Pats had a lot of money left over to sign free agents.

The Bills had Taylor the 18th rated QB, and 22nd against the Cap with a little under 5% of his salary 

against the cap.  The worst situation is Joe Flacco who dealt the Ravens a cap hit of 14.5% of their cap space.

Whether it means anything to you, QB play rated under Taylor this past year include Prescott, Carr, Dalton,

Bortles, Palmer, Brissett, Foles, Mariota, Cutler, Newton, Manning, and Flacco.

What does this all mean, maybe nothing, but maybe Taylor is not costing a horrible sum against the cap,

and just because the Bills can draft in quantity in the draft, doesn't mean they can draft their way into the SB.

I agree that they coach better and, most importantly, have the greatest QB ever and he his playing on a comparatively inexpensive contract.  I don’t think that they necessarily draft better than other teams.  Brady’s play and Belichick’s coaching account for most of their success.

i forget who said it, but it was a high profile NFL coach or GM: He (Belichick) can take his and beat your’s and he can take your’s and beat his.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree that they coach better and, most importantly, have the greatest QB ever and he his playing on a comparatively inexpensive contract.  I don’t think that they necessarily draft better than other teams.  Brady’s play and Belichick’s coaching account for most of their success.

i forget who said it, but it was a high profile NFL coach or GM: He (Belichick) can take his and beat your’s and he can take your’s and beat his.

Having one of the best QB/Coach tandems in maybe all of NFL history covers up a multitude of sins. There are teams that draft better...by a lot. But Pats have Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Great article today in the Daily News (New York) about all NFL QBs and the salary cap.

As we all know, New England is better than anyone in NFL, not withstanding winning or losing today.

They draft better than anyone, they coach better than anyone, and the only head coach in the league to

have full roster control is Bill Belichick, although I think McDermott comes close as he brought Beane

from Carolina. Anyway, the Pats lead the league in having undrafted free agents with 18, 34% of the roster.

7new key players on D this past year, and on O, only 1 starter who was a Pats 1st round pick.

The point of the lengthy article is how QBs played this season in comparison to the salery cap hit their

team took for them.A lot of you know that Tom Brady, the 3rd best rated QB in the league  had his 2017

QB salary % of the cap 19th of 43, meaning the Pats had a lot of money left over to sign free agents.

The Bills had Taylor the 18th rated QB, and 22nd against the Cap with a little under 5% of his salary 

against the cap.  The worst situation is Joe Flacco who dealt the Ravens a cap hit of 14.5% of their cap space.

Whether it means anything to you, QB play rated under Taylor this past year include Prescott, Carr, Dalton,

What does this all mean, maybe nothing, but maybe Taylor is not costing a horrible sum against the cap,

and just because the Bills can draft in quantity in the draft, doesn't mean they can draft their way into the SB.

I don't care about percentages, I don't want a QB who has trouble playing the position as an actual QB to be leading the team, we can do better and just because he's not "killing our cap" he is hurting us in more ways imo.

Does anyone really think that Brady would be still be the greatest if he didn't have a OL to protect

him. The way to beat Brady is to pressure him. The Bills played the Pats twice this year, and Brady

did basically what he did whenever he plays the Bills.  You want to compare their pass catchers with

the Bills, really, for instance Gronk against Clay who is so banged up he can hardly practice.

I don't care where the Pats get their players from: the draft, free agency, or the BIlls. Year after year they

draft near the end ofeach round, and year after year they win the AFC, and mostly go to the SB.

They know what they are doing, the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins basically don't. End of story.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It doesnt matter if he costs $1 if he can't complete a pass. He's not good.

50 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Not to mention next year Tyrod’s cap hit goes up to $18 million...

Case closed.

End thread\

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

The Pats don’t draft better than everyone.  They don’t even really draft that well.

BB is not some amazing GM.  He IS an amazing coach, and has the greatest QB of all time.  That covers a lot of personnel mistakes.

Agree with this a ton.

It does not help that the AFC east has sucked for so very long as for some reason none of the other 3 clubs understand the importance of having a top ten QB. The Bills have actually had some decent teams over the years but lacked the most important piece for 15+ years now.

NE is a great team, there really is no debate about it.  A ton of NE success comes due to the Jets, Dolphins and Bills. Since Brady took over they won the div. 14 out of 15 years. The QB carousel on the 3 teams during this tenure is a friggin hot mess. 

Add on:

15 years of Pats Div records:

5-1
5-1
4-2
4-2
4-2
6-0
5-1
5-1
4-2
4-2
6-0
4-2
5-1
5-1
5-1

71 - 19

Holy Hell

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, Foreigner said:

They draft better than anyone

Um..No.

Take a look at the Pats picks over the years...if you are being honest they draft pretty much the same as everyone else. I read a post on here a few years ago linking to an article that said they actually draft WORSE than the average team.  I'm not sure why everyone says/thinks they draft better than everyone else.

NE is the team they are becasue they have a good coach, and great QB, and a decent team around them.

8 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

How do they get the decent team around them all the time? Please explain that and I will listen.

they let go of aging and overpriced players. they scour other teams for developed, bargain priced players. they take risks on players with immense talent that have red flags (this sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...but they are always called genius for it). and a lot of times, free agents flock to NE for the chance to win a ring. but mostly, they have the best qb to ever play the game, arguably the best coach ever, and a reputation as a perennial sb contender. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

I do think this is a big factor.  IMO there are maybe 1/2 dozen QB's that are really worth the money they are paid, Brady being one of them.  Look at Seattle, they won on Wilson's rookie contract, once he signed a big deal that ate up to much of the cap, (and others on the roster too) they've struggled. If you can win with a cheap guy, you're way ahead. 

My hope the beginning of the season was that TT would play well enough to keep around on a cheap contract and would leave enough $$ and draft picks to put a real strong team around him.  Unfortunately that hasn't worked out  and while his % of cap hit is real good, he just can't play at a starting QB level in the NFL.

They did get good players like you described,along with the following draft choices who did okay.

J  Brissett         2016

J  Garoppolo    2014

J  White            2014

D  Hightower   2012

C Jones            2012

N Solder           2011

S Vareen           2011

R Mallett           2011

D McCourtney 2010

R Gronkowsky   2010

P Chung           2009

D Butler            2009

J Edelman       2009  and if you want to go back to 2006 S. Gostkowsky,  so don't tell me they can't draft,

and go back to all the teams that passed on TB12.