Why Tim Settle should be the next Buffalo DT

The Now Moment

Tim Settle to me, he is a 6'3" 330 pound is our guy.  He flashed this year with absolute domination at times.  He wasn't always the one to make the tackles but he caused havoc in backfields for Virginia Tech, playing in front of the highly touted Tremaine Edmunds.  He has the power to toss players around but his quickness is astounding for his size.  He reminds me of Marcell Dareus a bit with his build and quickness.  10 sack Marcell had the first step and foot speed to double with his power moves and this guy has that same ability which he flashed at times this year.  Settle had 36 tackles this year with 12.5 TFL and 4 sacks.  He was unblockable at times.  He could shoot the gaps but also push the pocket back with his sheer strength.  He is a relative unknown by most fans because he just finished his sophomore year only having a one year flash.  Normally, I'd pass on a sophomore prospect that hasn't had a lot of experience in college but this guy has the talent for me to overlook that.  He had 17 tackles with 7 TFL in his freshman year with less playing time.  He's clearly shown that he can live in the backfield and disrupt a QB's pocket.  I feel like he has 1st round talent and even high first round talent.  He just looks like a young Marcell that got us 10 sacks a few years ago.  However, with such a deep class of defensive tackles in this year's class, he could make it to the second round and hopefully to us but I doubt it.  He was a big piece of one of college football's best defenses. Any love for Tim?  I think him and and Taven Bryan will be risers.  They have a special ability to get into the backfield and get to the QB that teams are looking for nowadays.  With Payne, Vea, Hurst, Wilkins and Harrison also in this class, there's some talent to pick from here.  I laughed at the thought of drafting two 1st round DTs but I'm not laughing anymore.  This is a talented class.  Wouldn't mind one bit double dipping in this class.  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Interesting prospect but his lack of experience doesn't scream someone that McBeane would be interested in. 

Thanks for the write-up, it's good content.

True but some prospects are hard to pass because of their talent.  This kid is one of them.

Edited by Buffalo30

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

True but some prospects are hard to pass because of their talent.  This kid is one of them.

I agree, but with an early pick I think they are much more likely to take a guy like Harrison Phillips.  4 year starter and all of that.

I think they gamble with upside guys later in the draft.

23 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I agree, but with an early pick I think they are much more likely to take a guy like Harrison Phillips.  4 year starter and all of that.

If he's there in the second round because of he doesn't have the experience though...I'd take him there no doubt

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

Very impressive. Would love him on the Defense. What Round is he projected to go in????

To me, he will be a riser as we get closer to the draft but as of right now, he's around a 2-3 round pick.  I think he will end up being a late 1st or more likely an early second.  Deep class of DTs this year

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2018 at 2:52 PM, SWATeam said:

Depending on who and how we get a starting QB and what else we do in FA it would be great to draft both Harrison and Settle and let them grow together. Bring back Kyle on a fair contract along with Washington and maybe one other rotational guy would be solid. Would love to see Kyle mentor those two guys for a year or two?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.