Nasty No Glove Nick

As small of a role he played this season, I wanted to shout out some love for one of my favorite, under-the-radar Bills. His ability in the passing game is sneaky. His measurables wont shock anyone and, in fact, may appear disappointing. I do believe him to be a good route runner and a reliable, trusted target. His numbers have improved each season in both yards and catch percentage. To me, he has carved a little niche as a reliable South Team TE. 

As far as his blocking goes, he has to be better. I can blatantly remember him as the occasional perpetrator of blown assignments, most notably in pass protection. 

Any idea why Nasty No Glove Nick has struggled in the blocking game? Is it due to his  unimpressive numbers and his inability to keep up with the big boys? Or is it more of being out of position or technique flaw, that is correctable? 

Entering 2018 as a ERFA, I'm hoping the Bills will make him an offer to keep him around for a while. 

Btw, did you know he went to Harvard? Or something like that...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OLeaNi00.htm

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

Where do you get the Harvard thing - He is an FSU grad......not understanding that Harvard reference at all.  Right there in his bio that you provided the link for....

He needs a QB that can consistently get him the ball with the soft touch throws into that sweet spot in the d.

28 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

As small of a role he played this season, I wanted to shout out some love for one of my favorite, under-the-radar Bills. His ability in the passing game is sneaky. His measurables wont shock anyone and, in fact, may appear disappointing. I do believe him to be a good route runner and a reliable, trusted target. His numbers have improved each season in both yards and catch percentage. To me, he has carved a little niche as a reliable South Team TE. 

As far as his blocking goes, he has to be better. I can blatantly remember him as the occasional perpetrator of blown assignments, most notably in pass protection. 

Any idea why Nasty No Glove Nick has struggled in the blocking game? Is it due to his  unimpressive numbers and his inability to keep up with the big boys? Or is it more of being out of position or technique flaw, that is correctable? 

Entering 2018 as a ERFA, I'm hoping the Bills will make him an offer to keep him around for a while. 

Is “nasty no glove nick” a real nickname or did you just make that up?

Nick O'Leary was a clutch TE for the Seminoles throughout his career and has always shown a knack for getting open and finding the soft spot in the zones. That being said he has not shown the ability to block and is a liability when asked to do so. It has become a tip of the hand with our team that when he is in we throw the ball. I think Daboll can work with him and improve his blocking to be at least adequate and then he can be on the field more hence improving his numbers. 

9 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Is “nasty no glove nick” a real nickname or did you just make that up?

Nothing official. Just have called him that since we've drafted him. 

16 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Where do you get the Harvard thing - He is an FSU grad......not understanding that Harvard reference at all.  Right there in his bio that you provided the link for....

He needs a QB that can consistently get him the ball with the soft touch throws into that sweet spot in the d.

It was a Fitzpatrick/O'Leary over stated interesting fact joke... I guess it wasn't too funny 

51 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Blocking was Big under Roman and Lynn.  Big focus.    Hogan ruined his wrists and required surgery possibly in part because of how he was asked to block (and did).

My guess is that if O'Leary hasn't noticeably improved his blocking ability in 3 years, including 2 where blocking was a focus and an expectation, there's something missing.

Guys have to have the "want to", y'know?  They have to get off on laying the lumber, bringing the nasty.  Fredex loved to block, you could see it.  If he pwned someone, you could feel the adrenaline shot he got from it clear up in the stands or through the TV screen.

I don't think O'Leary loves to block.  I think at best he goes through the motions and tries to finesse.  If we expect that from a TE, we really need to be looking for a TE who does both - catch and block.  And while we're at it, since gloves improve the ability to catch, one who wears gloves.

But there's no reason not to keep a guy who contributes in some aspect of the game until you can upgrade.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan