Armchair GM: Hits and Embarrassing Misses over the Years

MrEpsYtown

It's hard for me to remember all these years....I remember going nuts when they drafted Donte Whitner, because Matt Leinart was available, and thought they could have traded out of that pick and got more picks.  I remember lobbying in here for Russell Wilson, because I am a Wisconsin fan and I watched him play.  He was great.  I didn't know much about Losman, but to give up the 1st round pick in the next draft seemed stupid.  Turned out it was.  Trading up for McCargo?  What the hell.  TJ Graham?  

They've whiffed on so many picks, but so do most teams.  Maybin was a rotten pick.  The worst, though?  We all should agree that taking Torrell Troupe the pick before Gronk will haunt us till the end of days.  

12 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

It's hard for me to remember all these years....I remember going nuts when they drafted Donte Whitner, because Matt Leinart was available, and thought they could have traded out of that pick and got more picks.  I remember lobbying in here for Russell Wilson, because I am a Wisconsin fan and I watched him play.  He was great.  I didn't know much about Losman, but to give up the 1st round pick in the next draft seemed stupid.  Turned out it was.  Trading up for McCargo?  What the hell.  TJ Graham?  

They've whiffed on so many picks, but so do most teams.  Maybin was a rotten pick.  The worst, though?  We all should agree that taking Torrell Troupe the pick before Gronk will haunt us till the end of days.  

...if I remember correctly, Modrak had Leinart graded out as a 3rd due to arm strength in Bflo weather......Cutler and Young were in that draft as well, but don't remember where Modrak had them......if QB's were not the choice, Wiffner over Ngata was............you know the rest.............

56 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if I remember correctly, Modrak had Leinart graded out as a 3rd due to arm strength in Bflo weather......Cutler and Young were in that draft as well, but don't remember where Modrak had them......if QB's were not the choice, Wiffner over Ngata was............you know the rest.............

I believe there are stories that Tom Modrak was banging the table for Jay Cutler and got overruled for Whitner. 

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I believe there are stories that Tom Modrak was banging the table for Jay Cutler and got overruled for Whitner. 

...LMAO....lesser of TWO evils........then again, The Cutlet hijacking the Bears for $54 mil guaranteed in better than ANY Brinks robbery in history.( close to Flacco's 52 mil though)..............poor Halas rolled over 67 times....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I thought it might be a fun exercise for us look at some of our hits and misses over the years. We all have opinions about all of the quarterbacks in this draft, but I'm sure we have all been wrong at times over the years.  Pretty much every year I fall in love with a quarterback, sometimes those guys have turned out to be pretty good and other times they’ve been awful. My earliest draft memories probably start at the 93 draft as an 11 year old. I’ve been watching and obsessing over the draft ever since. 

93: Drew Bledsoe was my second football love after Jim Kelly. I thought he was going to be awesome and went on to have a pretty good career. I was ecstatic when we acquired Bledsoe, even though he was thirty at that point. 

94: Heath Shuler: I thought he was going to be the man. So athletic and watching his games at Tennessee I thought he would be the real deal. 

95: I was a big PSU fan because my uncle went there and I really liked Kerry Collins. I did not think McNair was going to be good as a small school guy. Kerry Collins was ok but I was definitely wrong on McNair. We drafted Todd Collins in the second.  

96: This might be the worst QB drafts of all time. First guy off the board was Tony Banks in the second. I don’t recall liking any QBs in this draft. I remember really wanted Terry Glenn and being disappointed with Moulds. 

97: Loved Jake Plummer but I thought Jim Druckenmiller was going to be the better pro. 

98: Peyton Manning was obvious, but I thought Leaf was going to be good too. I feel like that was a fair debate at the time. 

99: Cade McNown was my favorite. He was a lefty and really athletic and fun. I thought Couch would be good too. I wasn't sold on McNabb or Akili Smith. I remember really wanting Andy Katzenmoyer, like a lot and being disappointed when we passed on him for Antoine Winfield. 

2000: Nobody special came out of this draft…....but I loved Giovanni Carmazzi. Steve Mariucci ruined him. 

2001: I really wanted Drew Brees. I was basically obsessed with him at Purdue. 

2002: I badly wanted Joey Harrington and he went one pick before ours. I really think Mariucci ruined him too and he should have  had a better career. I thought we might grab Patrick Ramsey in the  2nd. I thought he’d be good too. 

2003: Kyle Boller was my guy in this draft. Huge arm. 

2004: I felt the top guys were out of reach, so I was actually okay with JP Losman. I did not like the trade up though. I think we could have waited until the second. Still the wrong pick though. 

2005: That trade up cost us a shot at Aaron Rodgers, who I thought was really good. 

2006: I liked Vince Young in this draft. 

2007: I loved Brady Quinn, but really wanted Patrick Willis. I didn't love the Marshawn selection. I did not think there was any way Quinn would bust. 

2008: I loved Brian Brohm and felt really good about Colt Brennan. 

2009: I did not like anyone, but certainly did not want Aaron Maybin.

2010: A lot of rumors had us loving Tim Tebow so I convinced myself to like him. I really wanted Jimmy Clausen. I could not believe we passed on him in the second. 

2011: This one I am not proud of. I thought Cam was out of reach and I loved Blaine Gabbert, Absolutely loved him. He was like the prototype for me. I was upset when we passed on him, but I understood the Dareus pick. After the first day I convinced myself we were going to draft Colin Kaepernick, and I was ecstatic, then we drafted Aaron Williams and I was super pissed. 

2012: I spent the entire offseason dreaming of trade ups for Luck that obviously didn't happen. After him I wanted Brock Osweiler late. 

2013: I wanted Matt Barkley. Hated the EJ pick. Still surprised Barkley never amounted to anything and shocked he went in the 4th. 

2014: I was hoping Teddy Bridgewater would somehow slip to us in the 2nd. 

2015: I liked Bryce Petty and I thought Brett Hundley would be good as well. 

2016: I wanted Christian Hackenberg. I thought he had the pedigree as a prospect and was just really young for the draft. 

2017: I was intrigued by Mahomes, but was okay with the trade down. 

So for me it's a lot of hit or miss. I really loved prospects like Joey Harrington and Blaine Gabbert and was banging the table for Brady Quinn, but also had a couple of hits like Drew Brees. But I have been pretty wrong a lot. Just putting it all out there as fun. 

This year I am all in on Josh Rosen. 

It’s all a crapshoot. Who are some of your hits and embarrassing misses over the years? 

Big Ben.  Watched him a ton at Miami of Ohio and loved him.  Was convinced that Limas Sweed was going to be an absolute stud.

Edited by Chimp

All I'm reading here is that whatever QB you like is the guy we shouldn't want. Nothing but colossal busts on that list. 

I hate pretty much every QB over the past 10 years. Exceptions for top prospects have been Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater, Winston, Griffin,  andTannehill. 

I despised Jimmy Clausen, Matt Barkley, Johnny Manziel, Geno Smith, Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert. 

Edited by jrober38

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO....lesser of TWO evils........then again, The Cutlet hijacking the Bears for $54 mil guaranteed in better than ANY Brinks robbery in history.( close to Flacco's 52 mil though)..............poor Halas rolled over 67 times....

And Kirk Cousins about to outdo both of them! 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

All I'm reading here is that whatever QB you like is the guy we shouldn't want. 

Nothing but colossal busts on that list. 

Well I mean I really liked top guys like Big Ben, Rivers, Eli, Mariota, Winston, Wentz, Cam, Vick, but a lot of those guys were out of reach. That wasn't the point of the excercise, but I see where you are coming from. 

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

I hated the spiller pick... When that pick popped up i said DEZ BRYANT and got really excited.  I just thought he was going to be really good.  If not him - then I thought defense - pass rushers for sure.

I hated the Spiller pick also. I remember watching the draft at a friend's house and after that pick dropping to my knees and repeating "Why?! Why?!"

I didn't like that period when the Bills kept using 1st round picks on RBs when they already had a starter.  I wanted Poslusny when they took Lynch but they were lucky to still get Pos in the 2nd round.  

8 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I LOVED Colt McCoy coming out of Texas. I thought he had the swag as well as some some solid physical traits. I think he could have had success if he didn't go to Cleveland.

He had a night game starting a couple of years ago and played great.    I still think he’s a real gamer - reminds me of Pennington.  He’s sort of stuck as a backup now.

Bills hits that I wanted us to draft:

- Paul Posluszny

- Eric Wood

- Nick O'Leary

- Aaron Williams

- Andy Levitre

- Roscoe Parish

- Brad Butler

- Marcell Dareus

Bills busts I wanted at the time:

- EJ Manuel

- Sammy Watkins

- CJ Spiller

- JP Losman

- Cyril Richardson

Players we passed on that I wanted:

- Kirk Cousins

- Patrick Mahomes

- Andy Dalton

• Like (+1) 1

Wanted DeCastro at 10 in 2012. Most of the board said too high for a guard. He is best interior lineman in NFL. We got five years of Gilmore pointing at the safety instead.

Joey Bosa.  Thought he would be a bust and when he was holding out I thought I would be proven correct. He is a great player.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Wanted DeCastro at 10 in 2012. Most of the board said too high for a guard. He is best interior lineman in NFL. We got five years of Gilmore pointing at the safety instead.

Joey Bosa.  Thought he would be a bust and when he was holding out I thought I would be proven correct. He is a great player.

Great line about Gilmore.