Why not make a play for AJ McCarron?

AJ McCarron would be a fantastic addition to the Bills... Whoever says different, doesn't watch games... AJ will sling that football, and bring solid compettition to TC.. He's got a decent completion percentage, and he's fully capable of grabbing extra yardage with his feet... This is a no-brainer IMWO... OF COURSE you go after AJ McCarron....

4 minutes ago, #34fan said:

AJ McCarron would be a fantastic addition to the Bills... Whoever says different, doesn't watch games... AJ will sling that football, and bring solid compettition to TC.. He's got a decent completion percentage, and he's fully capable of grabbing extra yardage with his feet... This is a no-brainer IMWO... OF COURSE you go after AJ McCarron....

Completely agree. Anyone who thinks he's just another backup might as well leave their head in the sand. 

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

...plenty of factors to consider......does the arbitrator ruling on Feb. 15 say UFA or RFA?.....if RFA, you'll have to see what Bengals tender is....if UFA, he's free to deal....now on to Beane & McD....do they want a vet for a two year bridge deal to groom the new 1st round QB pick and Peterman?.......or would they take a McCarron type (or someone else) on probably a four year+ deal (McCarron would obviously want something more than 2), forego the 1st & 2nd round for a QB selection (maybe a day 3 guy) to fill other holes?......

2 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Yes a mediocre starter, not a mediocre backup. 

the only reason he is/was a starter was buffalo made him one. before that he was a back up. so he is a mediocre back up that was in a starting role. hopefully he'll be some other teams back up after the off season.

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

the only reason he is/was a starter was buffalo made him one. before that he was a back up. so he is a mediocre back up that was in a starting role. hopefully he'll be some other teams back up after the off season.

Fantastic logic there, i guess that makes Aaron Rodgers a good backup then. Taylor was a middle of the road starter the last 3 years that is what he is. 

Hyperbole around players like Taylor does nothing but lead to arguments, please stop adopting ridiculous positions because these things are not binary. People act like a QB is either hall of fame or bust. 

Edited by Jasovon

14 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Fantastic logic there, i guess that makes Aaron Rodgers a good backup then. Taylor was a middle of the road starter the last 3 years that is what he is. 

Hyperbole around players like Taylor does nothing but lead to arguments, please stop adopting ridiculous positions because these things are not binary. People act like a QB is either hall of fame or bust. 

you see it your way, I'll see it mine. 

ftr, who the hell would even put him in the same sentence as rogers? as for that logic, then the QB they draft who will likely sit behind the starter as did rogers,  wont be a starter eventually when his number is called? don't compare taylor to winning QBs like rogers who has a ring and pretty decent career as a STARTER.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...plenty of factors to consider......does the arbitrator ruling on Feb. 15 say UFA or RFA?.....if RFA, you'll have to see what Bengals tender is....if UFA, he's free to deal....now on to Beane & McD....do they want a vet for a two year bridge deal to groom the new 1st round QB pick and Peterman?.......or would they take a McCarron type (or someone else) on probably a four year+ deal (McCarron would obviously want something more than 2), forego the 1st & 2nd round for a QB selection (maybe a day 3 guy) to fill other holes?......

Feb 15 simply cannot get here fast enough... This is one of the most overrated QB classes I've seen in a very long time... There's MAYBE a single day-1 starter at QB in the whole bunch! -And it isn't like this team has a stellar record in developing young QB's either... I say to OBD, unless you're taking Darnold, it's defense rounds 1-3... Too much good stuff on that side of the ball... If we get a little more size and skill at the TE position, a guy like McCarron will do just fine... If we start this draft LB, DT, DE, I'll be happy as a clam.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Feb 15 simply cannot get here fast enough... This is one of the most overrated QB classes I've seen in a very long time... There's MAYBE a single day-1 starter at QB in the whole bunch! -And it isn't like this team has a stellar record in developing young QB's either... I say to OBD, unless you're taking Darnold, it's defense rounds 1-3... Too much good stuff on that side of the ball... If we get a little more size and skill at the TE position, a guy like McCarron will do just fine... If we start this draft LB, DT, DE, I'll be happy as a clam.

...nice assessment bud..............

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Because this is reportedly one of the deepest QB draft classes in a very very long time and we can probably get our long term answer at the position there.

Why is everyone obsessed with blaaaahhhh vet QBs who basically don't stand a chance of being Elite?

Time to stop settling for diamonds in the rough we find through trade or FA or late in the draft (Edwards, Fitz, Tyrod) and shoot for the stars and trade UP in the 1st round (thinking back to the fact that we traded down for a QB no one seemed to want still makes me kinda sick) to get whichever QB we want.

There might be 6 1st round QBs this year.

That's crazy!

It's crazy all right.  There hasn't been 6 QBs taken in the first round since the legendary class of 1983 with Elway, Kelly, and Marino.   The only class since then that has had 5 QBs was 1999 which yielded McNabb and Culpepper and 3 busts.  Four QBs were taken in the first round five times, yielding all of 7 QBs whom most knowledgeable fans would consider "franchise QBs" of various levels.

• 1983 - John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly,  Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, Dan Marino
  • 1987 - Vinnie Testaverde, Kelly Stoufer, Chris Miller, and Jim Harbaugh
  • 1999 - Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown
  • 2003 - Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
  • 2004 - Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, JP Losman
  • 2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
  • 2012 - Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III,  Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden

With the notable exceptions of 1983 and 2004, large QB draft classes don't yield more successful QBs than do QB draft classes with only 1, 2 or 3 first round QBs.  Of the 31 QBs taken in these large draft classes, only 13 were successful, including several whom Bills fans would likely have been disappointed with if they'd played for the Bills.

The number of QBs in the class is irrelevant.  What there has to be is one QB available that the Bills really, really like because they think he's going to be a top QB, not because they want to placate the fans or because they think they need a QB better than the one they have.

PS: that none of the QBs in 2018 stands out enough to be the consensus #1 pick says to me that this QB class isn't all that great. 

2 hours ago, KW95 said:

I still think with a new offensive coordinator we can mold Tyrod into something special.

I no longer think that Taylor can be "something special" but I think he can be a serviceable starting QB for 2018, especially if the Bills draft a first or second round QB for the future.

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It's crazy all right.  There hasn't been 6 QBs taken in the first round since the legendary class of 1983 with Elway, Kelly, and Marino.   The only class since then that has had 5 QBs was 1999 which yielded McNabb and Culpepper and 3 busts.  Four QBs were taken in the first round five times, yielding all of 7 QBs whom most knowledgeable fans would consider "franchise QBs" of various levels.

• 1983 - John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly,  Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, Dan Marino
  • 1987 - Vinnie Testaverde, Kelly Stoufer, Chris Miller, and Jim Harbaugh
  • 1999 - Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown
  • 2003 - Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
  • 2004 - Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, JP Losman
  • 2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
  • 2012 - Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III,  Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden

With the notable exceptions of 1983 and 2004, large QB draft classes don't yield more successful QBs than do QB draft classes with only 1, 2 or 3 first round QBs.  Of the 31 QBs taken in these large draft classes, only 13 were successful, including several whom Bills fans would likely have been disappointed with if they'd played for the Bills.

The number of QBs in the class is irrelevant.  What there has to be is one QB available that the Bills really, really like because they think he's going to be a top QB, not because they want to placate the fans or because they think they need a QB better than the one they have.

PS: that none of the QBs in 2018 stands out enough to be the consensus #1 pick says to me that this QB class isn't all that great. 

Last year people thought Goff and Wentz weren't worth the #1 or #2 pick.

It's still so early in the process.

The fact that at this moment there are legitimately still 6 QBs being talked about as 1st round picks is pretty incredible, I think.

And with guys like Arians saying this is the best draft in years, if the odds of hitting are high like it was in '83 and '04... let's just hope McDermott & Beane target the right guy  :flirt: 

On 2/2/2018 at 4:00 AM, SoTier said:

Realistically, good QBs seldom hit FA.  Mostly they're back ups, and not necessarily good ones.  Cousins is the best FA QB since Peyton was released by Indy.  Before that, the best QB to hit FA was Brees.    However much some fans may not like it, Taylor may be the best the  Bills can do for a veteran QB.  Cousins is the only likely FA who would be better, and he's going to command big $$$.  Bradford would be better but how long are his gimpy knees going to hold up?  The preseason?  Half a season?  One game?   Both Glennon and McKown are career backups.

Cutting Taylor and bringing in McCarron is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.   Taylor is not "the answer" but he's certainly better than McCarron.  Maybe the Bills can bring back Thad Lewis ...

Wasn't Taylor a bkup when we signed him.  U see my point. McCarron can do better throwing the ball and that's QBs are supposed to do. Play QB.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, joesixpack said:

With each passing day I have less confidence in our ability to draft a good qb. Admittedly I don’t know much about mccarron , though. Anyone got the skinny on this guy?

And this is because of the vast QB drafting history of the current Bills' regime?

You do realize Beane was part of the process in Carolina drafting Newton, right?

Too frequently I have no idea what folks are thinking before they post.