In-Depth Breakdown of Lamar Jackson by Eliot Crist

DCOrange

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Just because folks like to be lazy doesn't make the comparisons any more true either.

Go watch video of Jackson.

He's not a "one read and run" QB.

If you think that's an he is you're completely off the mark.

Saying tyrod is better? On what basis?

I stated that Taylor wasn't 1/3 the QB Jackson is coming out. 

That's a flat out fact.

Lamar Jackson is significantly better than tyrod Taylor was coming out of college.

It's also lazy to call Mayfield another manziel.

They are undersized QBs from Texas.

That's about it.

Mayfield has better pocket presence.

Johnny was a loudmouthed, arrogant prick in all walks of life.

He was a drunk, a party animal, taunting the press and the public with social media photos of him throwing around $$, all sorts of idiotic immature stuff.

Baker is a cocky guy who had one, I repeat, ONE incident with the law, which he seems to have sincerely felt remorse for.

He took responsibility for it.

Johnny football still has yet to do that for anything.

It's all everybody else's fault with manziel.

I don't see that with Mayfield.

It's lazy to compare the two as being "exactly the same"

mic drop

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

And learn how to read defenses and go through his progressions.  Jackson is a massive project.

I'm honestly shocked, after having Tyrod for 3 seasons, that Bills fans want another supreme athlete trying to play QB.

Have we learned nothing?

Comparisons are lazy, good coaches/scouts see each player as unique in their raw talent, experience, production, team, scheduled, personality, ability to improve, etc etc. That’s why evaluations are detailed and complex, and rarely, if ever, broadly categorized into comparisons (which they leave to poor sports commentators). 

For example, I learned a aboit Jackson here: http://www.cover1.net/scouting-report-qb-lamar-jackson-louisville/ 

Many players have talent and every single one of them has deep flaws, the question is does the player and coaches have the ability to develop talent and overcome flaws and place the player in a position to succeed.  

Personally, I think Jackson has as good a chance of becoming a super star as any QB this year, but like every prospect, many factors have to fall in place, that’s why it’s so tricky to trade up when there is no sure thing. For all we know, Jackson could revolutionize the game and Darnold et al will merely become trivia answers (How many teams passed over Lamar Jackson?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

It's not lazy.  Just like comparing Mayfield and Manziel isn't lazy.  There ARE parallels.  Glaring parallels!  In fact, I'll go ahead and state that Tyrod is better than Jackson. 

A guy who has a 53% completion percentage 5 TDs and 7 ints vs teams like Clemson, Wake, NC State and Miss. St. is going to struggle mightily vs NFL caliber defenses.  There's a stat in here that his completions percentage on routine slants is below 55%.

Jackson doesn't go through his progressions and he has trouble reading defenses because up until a year ago, he never really had to. His immense talent was good enough.  Lamar Jackson is a 1-read and run QB.  He shines against inferior teams.  His talent allows him to do that, but when sheer talent doesn't get it done, he struggles.

Baker Mayfield is a 6' QB with maturity issues.  Who does that sound like?

Just because folks don't like the comparisons, it doesn't make them any less true.

Found someone that didn't read the cover1 breakdown

• Like (+1) 1

I want Jackson so bad, I know he would do so well in Buffalo. Our running game would remain top tier, our passing game would take a huge step forward and we would have a generational talent on our team at QB for the first time since Kelly. I say swing for the home run, because his floor is a double. 

• Like (+1) 4

I really like Jackson as a prospect. These breakdowns from Crist and Cover 1 make him look exceptional. I do agree with GunnerBill that he needs to add a little weight though. Hope his stock does not soar over the next few months so we have a chance to snag him in the 20s. If we are drafting a QB, I'd rather get a stud DT and Jackson than trade both to go up and get Darnold or Rosen - who may cost more than just the two firsts anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2018 at 2:07 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here's the accompanying  write up.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/1/25/16931282/getting-to-know-the-2018-qb-class-lamar-jackson

If football fans could concoct a recipe with all of the things they demand in a franchise signal caller, they would call out the usual tropes.

“Big arm”.

“Accurate”.

“Throws with anticipation”.

“Understands defensive concepts.”..........“Pocket Presence.” .......“From Northeast Ohio and owns a dozen old Bernie Kosar jerseys”

They don’t know it, but they’re describing Lamar Jackson, the standout former Heisman trophy winner who absolutely obliterated and terrorized college defenses for the last two years.

…..except for the Bernie Kosar jersey thing. On the rest, hear me out.

The Summary:

To understand Lamar Jackson, and the type of player he is, NFL fans need to forget the cliches. The myth of durability in running quarterbacks is a thing of the past, as they’ve determined (WITH SCIENCE) that guys get injured just as frequently from the pocket as they do on the run. The “dual threat” language quarterbacks are pinned with, that is a backhanded way of saying, “Can’t be trusted executing a passing offense,” was obliterated by Deshaun Watson as he thrashed the adage and 2017 NFL defenses. “Skinny knees, won’t survive an AFCN winter” is an epithet on the tombstones of enormous, physically gifted, prototypical Browns QBs of the past as well as the small ones. Understand that Lamar Jackson defies the cliches, and is twice the passer casual NFL fans think he is.

Also, understand that Jackson will face the exact same litany of questions that Deshaun faced about his game, and is a better prospect in every respect.

I would be extatic if we got him at our draft spot of even when up to 15 or so to get him and gave away a second round pic ( not sure that is cost). 

2 hours ago, JM57 said:

Found someone that didn't read the cover1 breakdown

I read it.  So?  Petrino made an attempt to break him of his 1 read and go instincts.  Fact remains, when the bullets start flying he will revert back to what he knows.

I remember people telling me how Tebow worked tirelessly on improving his mechanics and how electric Manziel was and how he just had "it".

Same **** different day.

Lamar Jackson is going to struggle from the pocket in the NFL.  There's no way around it.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I read it.  So?  Petrino made an attempt to break him of his 1 read and go instincts.  Fact remains, when the bullets start flying he will revert back to what he knows.

I remember people telling me how Tebow worked tirelessly on improving his mechanics and how electric Manziel was and how he just had "it".

Same **** different day.

Lamar Jackson is going to struggle from the pocket in the NFL.  There's no way around it.

Just say no to QBs who default to their legs. No thanks.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Big C said:

I really like Jackson as a prospect. These breakdowns from Crist and Cover 1 make him look exceptional. I do agree with GunnerBill that he needs to add a little weight though. Hope his stock does not soar over the next few months so we have a chance to snag him in the 20s. If we are drafting a QB, I'd rather get a stud DT and Jackson than trade both to go up and get Darnold or Rosen - who may cost more than just the two firsts anyway. 

His stature is comparable to Rosen, Deshaun Watson. I go back to when Philip Rivers was drafted. I was hoping that the Bills got him, but his stock kept rising. Hopefully teams have Bill Polian's voice in their heads

17 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Same **** different day.

If you read it and that's all you came away with, I might suggest you only read it with enough depth to confirm your thoughts you had going in. There are plenty of examples in that breakdown of him not being a one read and run QB, but you will see what you want to see. 

Yes, he performed noticeably worse against loaded teams like Florida State and Clemson. But yes, Louisville on a whole team level was completely outclassed by those teams. I would confidently say that Jackson is the only skill player from Louisville that would start, or even have a chance to start, for those teams

2 minutes ago, JM57 said:

If you read it and that's all you came away with, I might suggest you only read it with enough depth to confirm your thoughts you had going in. There are plenty of examples in that breakdown of him not being a one read and run QB, but you will see what you want to see. 

Yes, he performed noticeably worse against loaded teams like Florida State and Clemson. But yes, Louisville on a whole team level was completely outclassed by those teams. I would confidently say that Jackson is the only skill player from Louisville that would start, or even have a chance to start, for those teams

And just what kind of talent will Jackson face in the nfl? 

No. Thank. You.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

And just what kind of talent will Jackson face in the nfl? 

No. Thank. You.

You missed the point. Unless of course you think that when he is an NFL QB he will be playing with practice squad players against starters. Because that's essentially what he was doing at Louisville against your premier teams. Not a single offensive player from Louisville drafted in 2016 or 2017. 3 players into those years, total.

Edited by JM57

I want the Bills to get a true pocket QB. After all these years of the Tyrod I am sick of the run first mentality. This article does nothing to change my mind on him. No thank you on yet another QB to scream at the TV to throw the dam ball. The NFL will make him be a QB (ala Tyrod) so IMO that running will be taken away so IMO he will have to sit a few years to learn how to be a QB first, maybe in a few seasons of development to be a QB first he will will become something but who wants to wait that long. 

Edited by xRUSHx

Seems to me to be too much of a whaley kind of pick for me...i want a break from the tyrod style. would be nice to see

nfl caliber qb play on this team for once. one more win last year and we walk into the playoffs. score more than 10 points in 4 qtrs and we advance in the playoffs. if jackson fell to us in the 2nd then maybe...