In-Depth Breakdown of Lamar Jackson by Eliot Crist

DCOrange

17 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

OMG... Avoid this possibility at all costs. After watching him the past two years ( I live in the Louisville area) we would be making yet another big mistake. He'll bring some running ability but he's slower than Taylor. Has a published college time of 4.78. He's not like Taylor in one area though, he has no problem turning the ball over. Tebow / Andre Ware II.

He blows Taylor away....please.  He will be a great pro. 

17 hours ago, DCOrange said:

No effing chance that Lamar runs a 4.78.

Agreed, I'm betting 4.4-4.5.  He's the fastest QB I've ever seen...Vick included.  And the best arm in the draft.   Needs better accuracy...we'll see.  I'd take him in a heartbeat.

17 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

I personally love Lamar Jackson. He has a live arm and has show the ability to throw with anticipation. He is my #2 QB behind Baker mayfield, who i think is the next Drew Brees.

Lamar Jackson is every bit as good, or better than Vick(#1 overall pick) when he came out and I would love to see him as our selection at the 22nd pick if he makes it that far. It seems like the league is getting away from mobile QBs, so he may be available?

Jackson is going to Run sub 4.5 and he is 6' 3" with a cannon. Don't try to compare him to Tebow or Taylor, much more comparable to Vick or Newton

I second that......I rate Rosen and Jackson the top two QB's

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Loosh said:

He blows Taylor away....please.  He will be a great pro. 

Agreed, I'm betting 4.4-4.5.  He's the fastest QB I've ever seen...Vick included.  And the best arm in the draft.   Needs better accuracy...we'll see.  I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I second that......I rate Rosen and Jackson the top two QB's

Lamar's actually my #1 in this year's class with Darnold #2. I think with his running ability, he can play early on and he has maybe the most potential in the class (probably between him and Allen, who I view as a longer shot to ever reach his potential).

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, purple haze said:

You're right.  He has a stronger arm, is faster and more elusive when he runs.

If only measurables won games...

If anybody thinks that Lamar Jackson is a better QB than Deshaun Watson, they should cease watching football immediately.

Edited by Chicken Boo

7 hours ago, CNY315 said:

But if you watched him you shouldn't even need a link to tell you he's faster than a 4.78

Which brings into credibility all of his statements regarding Jackson.

No way anybody has actually watched him (and not just read some stuff) thinks he's anything other than fast.

4.4-4.5 seems fair for him at the combine

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If only measurables won games...

If anybody thinks that Lamar Jackson is a better QB than Deshaun Watson, they should cease watching football immediately.

Last year at this time I opined on here that if you like Dak Prescott, Deshaun does everything that he does only better. Got crushed for that. While I know some people did like Watson, I distinctly remember many who wanted nothing to do with him for a lot of the reasons stated here about Lamar. 

With the new board i don’t think we can pull threads from last year but it would be “freezing cold take” City.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

OMG... Avoid this possibility at all costs. After watching him the past two years ( I live in the Louisville area) we would be making yet another big mistake. He'll bring some running ability but he's slower than Taylor. Has a published college time of 4.78. He's not like Taylor in one area though, he has no problem turning the ball over. Tebow / Andre Ware II.

I've seen comparisons that I don't think quite fit such as Vick and Cunningham. But your comparisons are just laughable and insulting. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jackson looks like an intriguing prospect. I've watched a limited about of him, but he looks more decisive throwing the ball than Tyrod and throws to the middle of the field and up the seam. He looks more willing to throw into tight windows against zone versus Tyrod. 

His accuracy on short and intermediate throws looks pretty good, not as much on deep. When he hits receivers, they can actually gain yardage. 

One question, does he have happy feet? We've seen Tyrod bail on a fairly clean pocket a bunch of times over the past three years. Does Lamar do that? Can Lamar navigate a small pocket to buy time?

Edited by elroy16

5 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Jackson looks like an intriguing prospect. I've watched a limited about of him, but he looks more decisive throwing the ball than Tyrod and throws to the middle of the field and up the seam. He looks more willing to throw into tight windows against zone versus Tyrod. 

His accuracy on short and intermediate throws looks pretty good, not as much on deep. When he hits receivers, they can actually gain yardage. 

One question, does he have happy feet? We've seen Tyrod bail on a fairly clean pocket a bunch of times over the past three years. Does Lamar do that? Can Lamar navigate a small pocket to buy time?

I read the cover 1 scouting report and i think they pointed out that he doesn’t do that 

20 hours ago, #34fan said:

Okay, fine....  I'll support taking Lamar Jackson in the first round... - IF Bobby Petrino comes with him as part of the deal... Petrino is a truly special offensive mind, that can coach, and coordinate with the best of them... He's on my Short-list of HC candidates once the inevitable happens to McDermott.

piece of crap of a human being. We can do much better.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/1/9/5288648/bobby-petrino-louisville-scandal-timeline

JMO, well maybe not just mine.

31 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

I don't know if it's possible to quantify it, but I've seen countless examples of Lamar staying in the pocket even when it gets congested; it seems to me like the overwhelming majority of his runs are designed runs rather than running away from pressure. His footwork is a bit of a mess though.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

4.78? No, no, no.  You’re supposed to stop the watch when he gets to the 40, not midfield

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't know if it's possible to quantify it, but I've seen countless examples of Lamar staying in the pocket even when it gets congested; it seems to me like the overwhelming majority of his runs are designed runs rather than running away from pressure. His footwork is a bit of a mess though.

That's true, appreciate the response. 

I watched all his throws/run video versus Miss St, his o-line did not help much that game. I liked what I saw though. As you said, definitely examples of staying in a congested pocket and making quick throws. 

I don't pretend to know how any of these QBs will translate to the NFL, but just the fact that as many as 6 appear to be legitimate first rounders (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph), I feel a little better about the possibility of a decent option still being there at 21 without having to trade up. And, if there is a guy that the scouts like head and shoulders over the remaining 3-4 (after the first couple are drafted early), the Bills should be able to trade up without having to give away the farm.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats one heluva adjustment for a 68% passer to get to 81.5%

Yeah, I think after Lamar, nobody was impacted as much by drops as Mayfield was in terms of drop %.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, I'd like to see the raw numbers used. his numbers didn't quite match mine.

I literally just took the numbers straight from PFF; I didn't make adjustments in terms of the overall adjusted completion %. I also think I threw that together before the bowl games.

Edit: PFF has his adjusted completion percentage at 82.5% now.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Jackson: 12.04%

Rosen: 11.01%

Mayfield: 9.49%

Rudolph: 9.15%

Allen: 7.84%

Darnold: 6.81%

According to PFF:

Lamar: 8.5%

Mayfield: 8.0%

Rosen: 7.5%