In-Depth Breakdown of Lamar Jackson by Eliot Crist

DCOrange

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Figured I'd post Lamar's since the other threads were all posted too.

Here's the accompanying  write up.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/1/25/16931282/getting-to-know-the-2018-qb-class-lamar-jackson

If football fans could concoct a recipe with all of the things they demand in a franchise signal caller, they would call out the usual tropes.

“Big arm”.

“Accurate”.

“Throws with anticipation”.

“Understands defensive concepts.”..........“Pocket Presence.” .......“From Northeast Ohio and owns a dozen old Bernie Kosar jerseys”

They don’t know it, but they’re describing Lamar Jackson, the standout former Heisman trophy winner who absolutely obliterated and terrorized college defenses for the last two years.

…..except for the Bernie Kosar jersey thing. On the rest, hear me out.

The Summary:

To understand Lamar Jackson, and the type of player he is, NFL fans need to forget the cliches. The myth of durability in running quarterbacks is a thing of the past, as they’ve determined (WITH SCIENCE) that guys get injured just as frequently from the pocket as they do on the run. The “dual threat” language quarterbacks are pinned with, that is a backhanded way of saying, “Can’t be trusted executing a passing offense,” was obliterated by Deshaun Watson as he thrashed the adage and 2017 NFL defenses. “Skinny knees, won’t survive an AFCN winter” is an epithet on the tombstones of enormous, physically gifted, prototypical Browns QBs of the past as well as the small ones. Understand that Lamar Jackson defies the cliches, and is twice the passer casual NFL fans think he is.

Also, understand that Jackson will face the exact same litany of questions that Deshaun faced about his game, and is a better prospect in every respect.

• Like (+1) 4

OMG... Avoid this possibility at all costs. After watching him the past two years ( I live in the Louisville area) we would be making yet another big mistake. He'll bring some running ability but he's slower than Taylor. Has a published college time of 4.78. He's not like Taylor in one area though, he has no problem turning the ball over. Tebow / Andre Ware II.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Spiderweb said:

OMG... Avoid this possibility at all costs. After watching him the past two years ( I live in the Louisville area) we would be making yet another big mistake. He'll bring some running ability but he's slower than Taylor. Has a published college time of 4.78. He's not like Taylor in one area though, he has no problem turning the ball over. Tebow / Andre Ware II.

Lamar Jackson is a far better passer than Tim Tebow ever was. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Spiderweb said:

No effing chance that Lamar runs a 4.78.

• Like (+1) 3

I personally love Lamar Jackson. He has a live arm and has show the ability to throw with anticipation. He is my #2 QB behind Baker mayfield, who i think is the next Drew Brees.

Lamar Jackson is every bit as good, or better than Vick(#1 overall pick) when he came out and I would love to see him as our selection at the 22nd pick if he makes it that far. It seems like the league is getting away from mobile QBs, so he may be available?

6 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Jackson is going to Run sub 4.5 and he is 6' 3" with a cannon. Don't try to compare him to Tebow or Taylor, much more comparable to Vick or Newton

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

He is an intriguing prospect but is no where near Deshaun Watson

On what basis?

11 minutes ago, purple haze said:

You're right.  He has a stronger arm, is faster and more elusive when he runs.

Yeah I'm not sure what he was thinking

Having watched a lot of his games against both lower and top tier defenses, he shrinks against better competition. I know that his team isn't great, but the majority of his stats come against low level competition and garbage time. IMO, he doesn't keep his eyes downfield when scrambling, which separates him from many successful dual threats. I just don't trust a guy who can't win big games. 

Think the analysis is right on about him.  Obviously he's a great runner (looks 4.4 to me with ability to make defenders miss) and the best runner at QB to come out since Vick.  Big arm, pocket awareness and ability to extend plays are obvious.  His accuracy from the pocket and under pressure is inconsistent and not good enough now.  The thing is, he plays his best football when it matters most and is clearly a competitor that wants to improve.  His accuracy issues seem correctable and he's shown improvement.  He could be a great developmental prospect if drafted into the right situation. 

Not sure if he's want Daboll and McDermott want or not.  Have to see how he does at the combine and in workouts.

Okay, fine....  I'll support taking Lamar Jackson in the first round... - IF Bobby Petrino comes with him as part of the deal... Petrino is a truly special offensive mind, that can coach, and coordinate with the best of them... He's on my Short-list of HC candidates once the inevitable happens to McDermott.

Edited by #34fan

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Okay, fine....  I'll support taking Lamar Jackson in the first round... - IF Bobby Petrino comes with him as part of the deal... Petrino is a truly special offensive mind, that can coach, and coordinate with the best of them... He's on my Short-list of HC candidates once the inevitable happens to McDermott.

Petrino is exactly where he belongs as a CFB coach. 

• Like (+1) 1