Buffalo Bills 2018 Salary Cap

With Wood's departure cutting Glenn leaves 2 big holes to fill on the OLine.  

2017 was his 2nd year of his 5 year contract and the cap hit would be costly.  $14,450,000

Sammy didn't have a cap hit with 2018 being his new contract season.  (If there was one it was for peanuts)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

In favor of

Tyrod Taylor, 

Savings: $10.4 million if traded before March 16, $9.4 million if released before March 16

Dead cap: $7.6 million if traded before March 16, $8.64 million if released before March 16

Tyrod Taylor is the most obvious candidate to be cut if the Bills are trying to trim some salary

John Miller, guard

Savings: $1.95 million

Dead cap: $170,000

John Miller fell out of favor with the Bills last season, getting benched four games into the season in favor of Vlad Ducasse

Luke warm 

Lorenzo Alexander, linebacker

Savings: $2.75 million

Dead cap: $850,000

Not in favor of 

Cordy Glenn, offensive tackle

Savings: $4.85 million if traded before March 18, $3.4 million if released before March 16

Dead cap: $9.6 million if traded before March 18, $11.1 million if released before March 16

Richie Incognito, guard

Savings: $6.425 million

Dead cap: $1.15 million 

Jerry Hughes, defensive end

Savings: $6.5 million if released after June 1

Dead cap: $3.9 million if released after June 1

Jerry Hughes is still playing at a high level. He's the Bills' only reliable edge rusher, so cutting him would take a toll on the depth chart

Colton Schmidt, punter

Savings: $1.15 million

Dead cap: $300,000

The Bills stashed punter Cory Carter on the practice squad last season. That doesn't mean he's the successor to Colton Schmidt, but he could provide some competition

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/02/buffalo_bills_salary_cap_2018_7_players_team_could_cut_or_trade_to_save_money.html

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In favor of

Tyrod Taylor, 

Savings: $10.4 million if traded before March 16, $9.4 million if released before March 16

Dead cap: $7.6 million if traded before March 16, $8.64 million if released before March 16

Tyrod Taylor is the most obvious candidate to be cut if the Bills are trying to trim some salary

John Miller, guard

Savings: $1.95 million

Dead cap: $170,000

John Miller fell out of favor with the Bills last season, getting benched four games into the season in favor of Vlad Ducasse

Luke warm 

Lorenzo Alexander, linebacker

Savings: $2.75 million

Dead cap: $850,000

Not in favor of 

Cordy Glenn, offensive tackle

Savings: $4.85 million if traded before March 18, $3.4 million if released before March 16

Dead cap: $9.6 million if traded before March 18, $11.1 million if released before March 16

Richie Incognito, guard

Savings: $6.425 million

Dead cap: $1.15 million 

Jerry Hughes, defensive end

Savings: $6.5 million if released after June 1

Dead cap: $3.9 million if released after June 1

Jerry Hughes is still playing at a high level. He's the Bills' only reliable edge rusher, so cutting him would take a toll on the depth chart

Colton Schmidt, punter

Savings: $1.15 million

Dead cap: $300,000

The Bills stashed punter Cory Carter on the practice squad last season. That doesn't mean he's the successor to Colton Schmidt, but he could provide some competition

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/02/buffalo_bills_salary_cap_2018_7_players_team_could_cut_or_trade_to_save_money.html

Jerry Hughes had 4 sacks last season. That’s over 1.5 million a sack....

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow, you let like every WR walk. I think we should probably keep one or two of those guys. They'll be cheap.

If we had to keep one it would probably be Thompson, but even then he was cut from the Bears and a mid season pick up, not like he cant be replaced. Same with the others, Id rather bring in some rookies (draft and UDFA) and see who is out there in FA as well. 

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If we had to keep one it would probably be Thompson, but even then he was cut from the Bears and a mid season pick up, not like he cant be replaced. Same with the others, Id rather bring in some rookies (draft and UDFA) and see who is out there in FA as well. 

I’d keep KB too. For at min one more year.  

On 2/19/2018 at 7:50 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I believe the Bills are going to take the same approach to Glenn as they did with Watkins. 

Show he is healthy and then trade him in August  for picks and a player. This is the biggest savings. I also believe we will get a tip on this being possible with Henderson. IF Henderson is healthy look for him to be brought back as a swing tackle. Making Glenn the odd man out. Glenn’s contract is also one where trading him post June 1stake the most financial sense.

I think this is probably the plan, athough I'd really enjoy getting to see Dawkins and Glenn as our bookends.

4 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

But Thompson was as close as our WRs come to being a proven playmaker.

6 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Call me crazy, but Jordan Matthews is a quality WR. He has had a solid career before coming to Buffalo. He had to deal with one of the worst passing QB's in the league and had injuries, but he is good. Also, we traded for him. I would be happy if we brought him back.

9 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

To me this is the key ingredient in all of this regarding Glenn

If Glenn is truly healthy....he and Dawkins would make great bookends.

If he is not....hes gtg

Sort of agree.

If Glenn is truly healthy....he and Dawkins make great bookends.

If not AND he can recover you  keep him because trading a broken Glenn does not yield much in return.  So keep him till he recovers.

If he is not healthy and most likely can't recover to almost 100% then you trade him for anything you can get for him.

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Call me crazy, but Jordan Matthews is a quality WR. He has had a solid career before coming to Buffalo. He had to deal with one of the worst passing QB's in the league and had injuries, but he is good. Also, we traded for him. I would be happy if we brought him back.

I dont think you're crazy and I do like Matthews. I just dont think we will be able to afford him.

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I dont think you're crazy and I do like Matthews. I just dont think we will be able to afford him.

How often do teams trade for a player with the expectation of only 1 season?    Other than say the Pats***  I don't recall it happening frequently.