Buffalo doc probably looking for new career

Guffalo

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I would say the doctor made a mistake.  

Yes, but when you or I make a mistake, chances are nobody dies from our mistake, the widow's documented that they asked the doc to recheck several times and he basically blew them off. When another doctor (Coroner) told him they guy was still alive, only then did the young doc step in and resume treatment. 

I tell the story my mother would tell if she was still alive.

In 1963, with her first child... My older sister.  My mother went into labor late.  She gets into hospital right before nurses are due to make a shift-change.  My mother is put on a gurney and one nurse crosses her legs and says: "Oh Honey... Just hang on a little longer, we are making a shift-change."

Even back then, my mother always thought that was weird.

Another story.  My younger brother was born one day less to the day I was born a year earlier.  Yes, if he would have lived, we would have been "Irish Twins."  Anyway, he was born "blue" and in obvious respiratory distress.  My father was all concerned and asked the doctor if that was okay.  The doctor said: "A lot of babies are born that way, nothing to worry about."  Anyway my brother was born with Hyaline membrane disease (infant respiratory distress syndrome)... He died a day later on my 1st birthday.  My mother was still recovering, my father took care of the burial arrangements... It tore him up bad, almost killed the doctor while passing in the hallway... They had to peel my dad off the doctor.  This was 1969... If it was today, my dad would have been in jail.

...And, who'd to think my parents could have sued.  Ah... The good old days.  Life and death, error was something you just dealt with alone.

:(

11 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I would say the doctor made a mistake.  

Should he get a pass... Just like back in day when America was great?

6 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Took my Mom to the ER  with arthritis issues at a local hospital that starts with K. I was beyond bewildered the way they treated her and me badly. Next time we hop in the car and road trip to the Cleveland Clinic or Pittsburgh.

Begins with K?  Are you in WNY??... Name is escaping me. That's a hell of a road trip to Clev/Pitt.

Another hint? ;)

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

a prof i know at a medical school has refused to sign a reference for half the students the last few years telling them they are not remotely close to the attitude required to practice medicine

That "atitude" is seeping everywhere in society. Hyper competition, choice fosters it, IMO. Zero-sum world more and more.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Both from personal experience and stories from friends and family here in the Buffalo area, I wouldn't go to South Buffalo Mercy or St. Joe's aka Sloppy Joe's...no matter what.

I'd rather take the longer ride to Millard Suburban or BGH.

I was born @ Sister's & look how I turned out! :mellow:

5 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I think you can figure it out  ;)

Not really, Can make Pittsburgh or  Cleveland in about 3 hrs these days

My sister in law is a RN at Kenmore Mercy,I will pass your bad experience on to her.IMO,I would rank ECMC and MFS as top notch if we are talking both ER visits and stays.Buffalo General is very good for a stay but they are not staffed well enough to deal with ER patients and that is mainly due to drug overdoses and/or addicts going through withdrawals

12 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Careful on I-79 between Erie & Pittsburgh, the freakin deer are everywhere.

Worst drive of my life coming back from Florida to BFLo  in winter 2009.  White knuckled it north into a direct snow squall, lake effect band... Right into teeth... Couldn't stop... Thought we were toast!!!

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Worst drive of my life coming back from Florida to BFLo  in winter 2009.  White knuckled it north into a direct snow squall, lake effect band... Right into teeth... Couldn't stop... Thought we were toast!!!

There is a very good factory outlet mall along the way.