Is there a chance that Beane obliterates the roster this offseason to add cap space?

The Buffalo Bills currently have $31,336,937 million in 2018 cap space. Good for 16th in the NFL. Not terrible, but not great.

Which of these moves could you see Beane end up doing? What are the chances that he does them all?

1. Releasing QB Tyrod Taylor prior to the March signing bonus deadline would add $15.44 million to the 2018 cap (no-brainer)
  2. Releasing OG Richie Incognito would add $6.425 million to the 2018 cap.
  3. Releasing DE Jerry Hughes would add $4.6 million to the 2018 cap.
  4. Releasing RB Lesean McCoy would add $3.7 million to the 2018 cap.
  5. Releasing LB Lorenzo Alexander would add $2.85 million to the 2018 cap.
  6. Releasing OT Jordan Mills would add $1.95 million to the 2018 cap.
  7. Releasing DE Ryan Davis would add $1.225 million to the 2018 cap.
  8. Releasing OG Vlad Ducasse would add $1.02 million to the 2018 cap.

Obviously Wood is a complicated situation, but I can't help but think there's a way to eliminate his contract from the cap. If the Bills were somehow able to pull that off, that would add an additional $8.625 million to the 2018 salary cap.

If Beane somehow dumped all of these players (including managing to remove Wood's salary from the cap), that would add $45.835 million to the salary cap, more than doubling it for a grand total of $77.17 million - which would be 5th in the NFL (behind only 49ers, Browns, Colts and barely the Jets).

In addition, they could also make the following moves after June 1st:

1. Trading OT Cordy Glenn after June 1st would add $11.25 million to the 2018 cap
  2. Releasing TE Charles Clay would add $4.5 million to the 2018 cap
  3. Releasing FB Patrick Dimarco would add $1.55 million to the 2018 cap
  4. Releasing WR Andre Holmes would add $1.2 million to the 2018 cap

That would add another $18.5 million to fill roster holes.

The questions you have to ask are:

• Is Tyrod Taylor worth $15.44 million? I say no.
  • Is Richie Incognito worth $6.425 million? That's a tougher one - I would say no because I think they can get better value than that at the guard position, but I could go either way.
  • Is Jerry Hughes worth $4.6 million? I say yes.
  • Is Shady worth $3.7 million? I say yes, but I don't feel too strongly about it. IMO we just saw Shady's last fully healthy season.
  • Is Lorax worth $2.85 million? I'm on the fence with this one as I think his presence at defensive end could replace Shaq Lawson, in which case we could get a mid-round pick for Shaq.
  • Is Jordan Mills worth $1.95 million? I might be in the minority on this one but I say yes. He exceeded expectations in 2018.
  • Is Ryan Davis worth $1.225 million? I say definitely yes - adds very good DLine depth for relatively cheap.
  • Is Vlad Ducasse worth $1.02 million? Probably depends on the new run scheme.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

Taylor and Glenn aren't going to be on the 2018 roster, it's just a question of how and when they are cut/traded and that will help the salary cap situation immensely.

I was leaning to Incognito being cut but I think now that the racial slur allegations are cleared up and Wood leaving he'll be definitely be back.

The only other wildcards are Hughes and McCoy but I think both will be back unless this team truly plans on gutting the roster and 2018 is the true 'tank' season. But anything is certainly possible especially since this regime made the playoffs last year and don't have that pressure on their backs going forward.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Taylor and Glenn aren't going to be on the 2018 roster, it's just a question of how and when they are cut/traded and that will help the salary cap situation immensely.

I was leaning to Incognito being cut but I think now that the racial slur allegations are cleared up and Wood leaving he'll be definitely be back.

The only other wildcards are Hughes and McCoy but I think both will be back unless this team truly plans on gutting the roster and 2018 is the true 'tank' season. But anything is certainly possible especially since this regime made the playoffs last year and don't have that pressure on their backs going forward.

Why is Incognito definitely returning with Wood retiring? 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If you listen to Beane,  he and McDermott plan for the Bills to be competitive in 2018.  

Exactly, they built a nice foundation their first year, why blow the whole thing up.  They are going to keep adding pieces while removing guys that don't fit the plan/process. 

25 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This is actually a really good point. The one thing breaking the streak gave Beane and McDermott is tremendous security. Not just with the Pegula's but the fans. Granted, that can dissipate quickly in professional sports but if McBeane can't get the QB they want and they look at this team and don't see a contender, they could wipe the slate clean without having to worry about being on the hot seat. It's actually a rare opportunity.

17 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Exactly, they built a nice foundation their first year, why blow the whole thing up.  They are going to keep adding pieces while removing guys that don't fit the plan/process. 

Of all the players I mentioned, only Davis, Ducasse, Dimarco and Holmes were brought in by McBeane. Ducasse and Dimarco were brought in for Dennison's crappy scheme and Holmes was a disappointment. I only see Davis as being relatively safe.

33 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Why is Incognito definitely returning with Wood retiring? 

Just my opinion but I think they'll want some veteran leadership on the line with Wood gone and to help Groy/rookie center but they still might ask him to restructure his deal which could prompt him release if he says no.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Incognito is a very good player. Talent gets paid, as it should. Why would the Bills ever think of cutting him?? 

We are not the Browns.

Releasing Incognito is merely cutting off their nose to spite their face. There are others who can be released that would not hurt their 2018 season as much.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This is actually a really good point. The one thing breaking the streak gave Beane and McDermott is tremendous security. Not just with the Pegula's but the fans. Granted, that can dissipate quickly in professional sports but if McBeane can't get the QB they want and they look at this team and don't see a contender, they could wipe the slate clean without having to worry about being on the hot seat. It's actually a rare opportunity.

If they don't win next season be prepared for people to talk about 2017 being a fluke, especially the way they got it.  If they won less than 9 games next season and miss the playoffs, I doubt many people will care about McBeane's job status.

These two know the bar has been set and this off-season needs to be a home run to build on 2017. Plenty of teams can backdoor their way into the playoffs. Real teams improve year over year. McBeane don't want to be the former.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Of all the players I mentioned, only Davis, Ducasse, Dimarco and Holmes were brought in by McBeane. Ducasse and Dimarco were brought in for Dennison's crappy scheme and Holmes was a disappointment. I only see Davis as being relatively safe.

I still don't believe Beane/McD thought they were a playoff team last year, but because they did sneak in it obviously changes things so if they end up truly being terrible in 2018 because of having a young roster it won't look as bad because of last season when everybody also thought they were a 3 or 4 win type of team.

So this would be the main reason for them to truly burn it down in 2018 (and yes go with NP as the starter) if they don't care where they finish and then expect a major step forward in 2019 with a bunch of 2nd year players and possibly a top 5 draft pick to land a QB.

We'll see what happens but all fans should temper their expectations that this team is primed to make a big slash in the offseason and be a SB contender this season.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gordio said:

THEY built a nice foundation? Where? Matthews, Benjamin, Boldin, Tolbert, Gaines, Peterman, Ducasse, Hyde, Poyer and a bunch of others of questionable value? A couple of good players is NOT much of a foundation (draft picks don't count as they preceed Beane).

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Release (or trade) TT, Mills, Ducasse.

+$17M

Addition by subtraction

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Incognito is a very good player. Talent gets paid, as it should. Why would the Bills ever think of cutting him?? 

We are not the Browns.

Funny thing about the OLine is that Mills and Ducasse quietly had solid seasons. Ducasse might not be a fit for Daboll's scheme but I don't see him as an automatic cut.

PFF isn't the end-all/be-all, but here are their 2017 grades for our starting OLine...

• LT Dion Dawkins: 74.6 (excellent for a rookie - 33rd rated tackle, above-average)
  • LG Richie Incognito: 80.5 (12th rated guard - good but I just wonder how much left he has in the tank)
  • C Eric Wood: 68.0 (16th rated center - average)
  • RG Vlad Ducasse: 75.5 (24th rated guard, above-average)
  • RT Jordan Mills: 65.8 (43rd rated tackle, average)