Alex Smith vs. Sam Bradford

Alex Smith vs. Sam Bradford  

139 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between these two veteran quarterbacks, which one would it be?

• Alex Smith
    • Sam Bradford

Another thread discussing which flawed re-tread you prefer! 

It doesn't have to be that way, Bills fans! 

These guys better go out and get our own stud, and they better know which one to get.

I'm fine with a FA hire if he is seen only as a place marker as we move on from Tyrod but need time for the stud draftee to develop.  

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Another thread discussing which flawed re-tread you prefer! 

It doesn't have to be that way, Bills fans! 

These guys better go out and get our own stud, and they better know which one to get.

I'm fine with a FA hire if he is seen only as a place marker as we move on from Tyrod but need time for the stud draftee to develop.  

We Tried That With EJ And Losman.

It would be smarter to have a solid veteran and draft a rookie who can be groomed and not thrown to the wolves.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

1 hour ago, bills8323 said:

Did he have more weapons though? Our offensive has plenty of weapons that are just never used correctly. Clay, Shady, Deonte, KB and Zay is a solid group that shouldn't have us lagging as far as we have in the passing game. Tyrod is a great dude and can win games but doesn't have that killer instinct. I don't want to give up anything for Smith but if we got him he would at least put together some 300 yard games, something Tyrod may never do again(MIA game '16). Find your guy in the draft. We have the picks for a reason in potentially one of the deepest QB drafts of recent memory. 

I would take Kelce, Hunt, and Hill over Clay, Shady, and Benjamin.  We certainly need to add a deep threat Wr and Jones to improve, but I see your point in the talent level in KC being only slightly better than Buffalo on the offensive side this year.  I'm thinking Smith or Bradford are the most likely options.  A dark horse who if we signed would turn this place into an angry mob would be Josh McCown who performed extremely well last year considering the circumstances.

I think Bradford's inability to stay healthy is the biggest drawback. He's a fairly accurate QB, but he would get killed behind this OL. Tyrod made them look better than they truly are at the moment. 

I don't see Smith as Tyrod at all. I have watched him enough to see how accurate he is on the short to intermediate routes. This past season he seemed to sling it further down field as well. He may not have Tyrod's speed, but he is mobile and could survive. 

I take Smith over Bradford any day. 

Bradford or Bridgewater for me. You dont have to give up any picks to get them like you would Smith. 

I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod too I guess so long as we draft a replacement...and not another 5th rounder. A legit replacement. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Bradford or Bridgewater for me. You dont have to give up any picks to get them like you would Smith. 

I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod too I guess so long as we draft a replacement...and not another 5th rounder. A legit replacement. 

You better watch such blasphemous talk around here my friend :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Smith. But I’d only give a 4 for him. 

I also don’t view him as a 1 year “bridge”. I think there’s plenty of reason to believe he’s got 4 or so quality years left at least. I think if you get him you commit to building the team as a whole and kick the young QB decision down the road a few years. 

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

image.thumb.png.16c95403477b9c4a263477384557798a.png 

image.thumb.png.26df550923ccecbe4c038f49c5a844e2.png

The Punt, Punt, Punt TD 1st QTR? 

1:36 2nd and 9 at KC11Tyrod Taylor pass to the left to Zay Jones for 11 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

The defense did it's job 

Its a joke but lets be real Who won that game? The defense or the team? The team won. Yeah the defense played better but they dont win without that ZJ touchdown.

No one is saying TT > AS

6 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The more I analyze this Buffalo Bills offseason, the more I think our 2018 starting QB could come down to either Alex Smith or Sam Bradford.

When it comes to the Draft, the Bills are in a tough spot at picks 21/22. Teams are going to want a king's ransom in order to move up to the Top 10 (much less Top 5).

I also see this QB class as being way more flawed than people choose to believe. Each prospect has his own warts. There might be a star in this class, but no one knows who it is. It might be the 1st rated QB in the class, or it might be the 5th rated. It's a total crap shoot.

So what is the Bills' best option for 2018 (and beyond)? It might be one of the veteran QB's that will be available.

Kirk Cousins: As much as I would love it to happen, I don't see Kirk Cousins being realistic for us considering the lack of cap space we have and the competition for his services.

Teddy Bridgewater: This guy is a total question mark due to his knee. I'm guessing that he'll stay with the Vikings on a prove-you-can-still-play one-year contract extension.

Case Keenum: I think the Vikings give him a solid contract extension.

The rest are trash.

That leaves Sam Bradford (Free Agent) and Alex Smith (under contract with the Chiefs)

Sam Bradford Upside:

• Despite having nearly a decade of experience as a starting NFL QB in this league, Bradford will still only be 30 years old when the 2018 season begins
  • Won't have to give up any draft picks for him
  • Considering his injury history, he may be good value if we can get him at a price lower than expected
  • Career at an upward trajectory - had a career year in 2016 and played at a very high level in his two starts in 2017
  • Played under Josh McDaniels in 2011, so may be already acclimated to many of Brain Daboll's concepts

Sam Bradford Downside

• Has been plagued by injuries for much of his career. Can he get and stay healthy?
  • Risky acquisition. Can we afford him considering all the competition for the services of quarterback out there?

Alex Smith Upside:

• Coming off the best season of his career
  • Competitive guy, underdog 'me-against-the-world' mentality could fit in well in Buffalo

Alex Smith Downside:

• Must give up draft picks to get him
  • Only one year left on his deal - is he worth it?
  • Can he perform at such a high level without Andy Reid?
  • Some describe him as Tyrod Taylor without the wheels - doesn't read the field quickly and hesitates to throw to WR who aren't wide open
  • Turns 35 years old this May - how much does he have left?

Thoughts?

Wouldn't mind Alex Smith at all. Or Bridgewater, who I think will be available.

But as for the warts on the draft guys, that's just part of the process, it's what always happens this time of year. People quickly forget but two years ago people were coming out with how now that they saw all the scouting that Wentz and Goff just weren't as good as everyone had thought, and weren't worth trading up for. This is what happens every year. Every single guy in the history of the world has an upside and a downside and when people read the downside they get cold feet.

It's always a risk. It's a risk worth taking.

Wouldn't mind Smith and a tradeup for a draft guy so he can sit and learn for a while.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The more I analyze this Buffalo Bills offseason, the more I think our 2018 starting QB could come down to either Alex Smith or Sam Bradford.

When it comes to the Draft, the Bills are in a tough spot at picks 21/22. Teams are going to want a king's ransom in order to move up to the Top 10 (much less Top 5).

I also see this QB class as being way more flawed than people choose to believe. Each prospect has his own warts. There might be a star in this class, but no one knows who it is. It might be the 1st rated QB in the class, or it might be the 5th rated. It's a total crap shoot.

So what is the Bills' best option for 2018 (and beyond)? It might be one of the veteran QB's that will be available.

Kirk Cousins: As much as I would love it to happen, I don't see Kirk Cousins being realistic for us considering the lack of cap space we have and the competition for his services.

Teddy Bridgewater: This guy is a total question mark due to his knee. I'm guessing that he'll stay with the Vikings on a prove-you-can-still-play one-year contract extension.

Case Keenum: I think the Vikings give him a solid contract extension.

The rest are trash.

That leaves Sam Bradford (Free Agent) and Alex Smith (under contract with the Chiefs)

Sam Bradford Upside:

• Despite having nearly a decade of experience as a starting NFL QB in this league, Bradford will still only be 30 years old when the 2018 season begins
  • Won't have to give up any draft picks for him
  • Considering his injury history, he may be good value if we can get him at a price lower than expected
  • Career at an upward trajectory - had a career year in 2016 and played at a very high level in his two starts in 2017
  • Played under Josh McDaniels in 2011, so may be already acclimated to many of Brain Daboll's concepts

Sam Bradford Downside

• Has been plagued by injuries for much of his career. Can he get and stay healthy?
  • Risky acquisition. Can we afford him considering all the competition for the services of quarterback out there?

Alex Smith Upside:

• Coming off the best season of his career
  • Competitive guy, underdog 'me-against-the-world' mentality could fit in well in Buffalo

Alex Smith Downside:

• Must give up draft picks to get him
  • Only one year left on his deal - is he worth it?
  • Can he perform at such a high level without Andy Reid?
  • Some describe him as Tyrod Taylor without the wheels - doesn't read the field quickly and hesitates to throw to WR who aren't wide open
  • Turns 35 years old this May - how much does he have left?

Thoughts?

Assuming Bradford checks out on the physical I would be OK on bringing him in.  It's far from certain that the Chief's will make Smith available and the cost might be steep (first rounder plus.....).

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me it’s Smith and not very close. I don’t trust Bradford at all. Alex Smith played the best football of his career and is a good option for the next few years. If the Bills can get him for their 3 and the pick that they got for Ragland that would be great. If they have to insert a 2 instead so be it. 

My thought as well.

It's not even close.

9 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bradford is a better qb than smith IMO but has the durability concerns. The question is should we care? If he is not going to be a long term starter/just a bridge and we aren't investing as much of a cap hit does it matter that he has an injury history?

I think we absolutely should care. I remember the last time we drafted a QB in the first round, we ran off Fitz and hired an injury riddled vet. Our rookie had to start and he wasn't ready. I don't want to make that same n stake again.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I think we absolutely should care. I remember the last time we drafted a QB in the first round, we ran off Fitz and hired an injury riddled vet. Our rookie had to start and he wasn't ready. I don't want to make that same n stake again.

Taking stock of the current O-Line situation might tell us to spend at least one draft pick and maybe one more which might help a QB remain upright in the heat of a game.  Also, we lacked depth at RB which did not help Taylor and will not help anybody coming for this fall.