Alex Smith vs. Sam Bradford

Alex Smith vs. Sam Bradford  

139 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between these two veteran quarterbacks, which one would it be?

• Alex Smith
    • Sam Bradford

The more I analyze this Buffalo Bills offseason, the more I think our 2018 starting QB could come down to either Alex Smith or Sam Bradford.

When it comes to the Draft, the Bills are in a tough spot at picks 21/22. Teams are going to want a king's ransom in order to move up to the Top 10 (much less Top 5).

I also see this QB class as being way more flawed than people choose to believe. Each prospect has his own warts. There might be a star in this class, but no one knows who it is. It might be the 1st rated QB in the class, or it might be the 5th rated. It's a total crap shoot.

So what is the Bills' best option for 2018 (and beyond)? It might be one of the veteran QB's that will be available.

Kirk Cousins: As much as I would love it to happen, I don't see Kirk Cousins being realistic for us considering the lack of cap space we have and the competition for his services.

Teddy Bridgewater: This guy is a total question mark due to his knee. I'm guessing that he'll stay with the Vikings on a prove-you-can-still-play one-year contract extension.

Case Keenum: I think the Vikings give him a solid contract extension.

The rest are trash.

That leaves Sam Bradford (Free Agent) and Alex Smith (under contract with the Chiefs)

Sam Bradford Upside:

• Despite having nearly a decade of experience as a starting NFL QB in this league, Bradford will still only be 30 years old when the 2018 season begins
  • Won't have to give up any draft picks for him
  • Considering his injury history, he may be good value if we can get him at a price lower than expected
  • Career at an upward trajectory - had a career year in 2016 and played at a very high level in his two starts in 2017
  • Played under Josh McDaniels in 2011, so may be already acclimated to many of Brain Daboll's concepts

Sam Bradford Downside

• Has been plagued by injuries for much of his career. Can he get and stay healthy?
  • Risky acquisition. Can we afford him considering all the competition for the services of quarterback out there?

Alex Smith Upside:

• Coming off the best season of his career
  • Competitive guy, underdog 'me-against-the-world' mentality could fit in well in Buffalo

Alex Smith Downside:

• Must give up draft picks to get him
  • Only one year left on his deal - is he worth it?
  • Can he perform at such a high level without Andy Reid?
  • Some describe him as Tyrod Taylor without the wheels - doesn't read the field quickly and hesitates to throw to WR who aren't wide open
  • Turns 35 years old this May - how much does he have left?

Thoughts?

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For me it’s Smith and not very close. I don’t trust Bradford at all. Alex Smith played the best football of his career and is a good option for the next few years. If the Bills can get him for their 3 and the pick that they got for Ragland that would be great. If they have to insert a 2 instead so be it. 

• Like (+1) 5

Bradford is a better qb than smith IMO but has the durability concerns. The question is should we care? If he is not going to be a long term starter/just a bridge and we aren't investing as much of a cap hit does it matter that he has an injury history?

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

2 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Smith I would select, but is Smith really that much of an upgrade over keeping Tyrod and NOT giving up and a 2nd and 4th round pick?

No. But sometimes change is made for the sake of change.

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bradford is a better qb than smith IMO but has the durability concerns. The question is should we care? If he is not going to be a long term starter)just a bridge and we aren't investing as much of a cap hit does it matter that he has in injury history?

Good point.

IF we HAVE to go with a vet then I'd pick Bradford. He's a better QB, and since I really don't want a vet anyways because I believe a QB learns by doing, Bradford's chances of making through the whole season would almost guarantee the new rookie will be in the game at some point in the season. :D

9 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Smith I would select, but is Smith really that much of an upgrade over keeping Tyrod and NOT giving up and a 2nd and 4th round pick?

Yeah he is.  4,042 yards for 26 TD's and 5 INT's is an upgrade.  Granted he had more weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me it’s Smith and not very close. I don’t trust Bradford at all. Alex Smith played the best football of his career and is a good option for the next few years. If the Bills can get him for their 3 and the pick that they got for Ragland that would be great. If they have to insert a 2 instead so be it. 

Agreed. Gotta be Smith. I don't even want to consider Bradford. He looked awesome week 1 this year, but his knee issues resurfaced. It's a chronic issue and it's not worth the gamble.

Edited by Big C

16 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Yes.     Smith was a top 6 QB this year iirc.  

His ability to read a defense should pay instant dividends 

18 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

That's a great point.  I've been a Tyrod supporter until the latter half of the season when his limitations were so obvious.  However, the Chiefs had a pretty big lull in the 2nd half of the season as well.  Smith didn't look much better.   I keep wanting to believe that half of Tyrod's problems were with the OC... I shouldn't go there...

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I'm at as well.    I also don't want anything to do with Bradford's injury history...

I’d prefer if Bridgewater was available but for your thread, I think Smith would be the better choice as far as a QB goes.

However, since the Chiefs are asking quite a bit, I’d prefer Bradford. If he’s healthy, he can play.

I hope that’s clear as mud.

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Bradford is the correct choice here. The cost to acquire Smith makes Bradford the easy choice IMO.

Without knowing what the cost for Smith would be, I would choose Bradford - no lost picks. I suspect his injury history will keep the cost down.

If all things were equal, then I would pick Smith but since you will pay for the privilege then Bradford. 

Either choice assumes drafting a QB at 21 to develop.

• Like (+1) 2