Bills hire John Butler as secondary coach

YoloinOhio

.he may be the heir apparent to Frazier......Butler was Penn State DC in 2013 followed by Texans stint and did interview for Niners DC spot in 2016......he's 44 and Leslie is 58...don't know anything about Frazier's plans......Dennison is 60 and Daboll is 43......Byrd was only 56 but perhaps not eventual DC material in McD's view.....slow news day...........

• Like (+1) 2

These are the type of hires a good HC makes.

I fully expect Leslie Frazier to get another shot at HC very soon. This is the sort of guy that can take over if that day comes.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

8 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

What happened with the "if it's not broke don;t fix it idea."

McDermott giving a job to his high school buddy. Why not, because he can, so he does.

..I think it is beyond high school affiliation.....that was 25 years ago and I seriously doubt THAT would be a criterion.....

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..I think it is beyond high school affiliation.....that was 25 years ago and I seriously doubt THAT would be a criterion.....

Maybe there are incriminating Polaroids, or he wrote something risqué in his yearbook? 

Ruh Roh

I was a huge McDermott fan until this.

He fires Byrd, who coached the most successful group for the Bills team, and hires his high school pal.

Butler was not a good coach at PSU.

PSU defense regressed when he was DC.  Ironically, he was also high school buds with OB, who hired him first as DB coach, then as DC.

Butler was constantly blaming PSU players for poor defensive efforts rather than taking responsibility.  I hope he's improved, but dont think he has.

Familiarity builds respect.  McD would want to hire someone experienced he knows and respects rather than somebody inexperienced and/or problematic.  Of course you can counter this with Rex Ryan hiring his brother and how much good that did.  But there are always mistakes, such as hiring Rex in the first place. 

I didn’t like the Byrd hiring when it happened because he truly wasn’t well regarded in Tampa. I think I remember one of their bloggers saying he was “not an NFL coach.” I did think he appeared to do a good job in Buffalo this year but it’s hard to say if he was the reason given there is nothing to compare it to - an entirely new personnel group with an entirely new scheme brought in. I will say they played well together after having never played together before, so that’s something. This appears to be a coaching upgrade on the surface, based on the name. 

On 1/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

bookmarking this post for when he gets interviewed next season... 

On 1/30/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ittakestime said:

Looks for what?  Definitely not HC. The league is all about young 

See the news about the colts vacancy? Figured I wouldn’t need to dig this up until next year

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

Perhaps it's been mentioned by another poster somewhere here or in the Byrd thread, but let's not forget McD's specialty is DB. he played it, he coached it and his defenses seem to get the most out of their DBs. Not to say Byrd didn't do a good job here, but I think McDermott is the key for our DBs to continue performing on last year's level.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

See the news about the colts vacancy? Figured I wouldn’t need to dig this up until next year

Did he get the job?

I wouldn't put any stock into the interview. He literally is geting a look because Irsay is in desperation mode and he worked for him before.