Is our 21st pick more valuable than our 22 pick in a trade down?

simpleman

Does our first 1st round pick actually have more value to other teams than our 2nd first round pick? I realize the draft points trade chart assigns it more value, but does it have more practical value to the other team unless they believe we will trade both picks, or the trade partner believes we want the same player as them. In a trade down situation, unless we believe the trade  partner wants the exact same player as we do, why would we not trade our first pick, rather than our 2nd,  and get 20 extra points?

I have begun to think that if Mayfield does not magically drop, maybe we should trade down to get a QB. I just can't see using a 21 or 22 pick on the likes of a Rudolph , Jackson, Lauletta. White or others. The top 3 are out of reach. If you really want one of the non top 4  that badly,  it seems you could assuredly get them with a very late 1 or an early 2 and get some badly needed extra picks to fill out our many critical needs on offense and defense. Would NFL teams really put much value on the difference between our two picks when they are one after the other?

Edited by simpleman

Yes pick 21 has slightly more value because it is before pick 22...what if the the Bills pick the player that another team wants at pick 21? That’s why that pick has more value- so that the other team can potentially pick their guy before we do.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

Does our first 1st round pick actually have more value to other teams than our 2nd first round pick? I realize the draft points trade chart assigns it more value, but it has no more practical value to  the other team unless we trade both, or the trade partner believes we want the same player as them. In a trade down situation, unless we believe the trade  partner wants the exact same player as we do, why would we not trade our first pick, rather than our 2nd if we decide to trade down when the 1st has a greater point value.

I have begun to think that if Mayfield does not magically drop, maybe we should trade down to get a QB. I just can't see using a 21 or 22 pick on the likes of a Rudolph , Jackson, Lauletta. White or others. The top 3 are out of reach. If you really want one of the non top 4  that badly,  it seems you could assuredly get them with a very late 1 or an early 2 and get some badly needed extra picks to fill out our many critical needs on offense and defense. Would NFL teams really put much value on the difference between our two picks when they are one after the other?

Why would we be trading down?

Your name is "simpleman" yet your post is anything but that.

Seriously though, trade down?

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

Does our first 1st round pick actually have more value to other teams than our 2nd first round pick? I realize the draft points trade chart assigns it more value, but it has no more practical value to  the other team unless we trade both, or the trade partner believes we want the same player as them. In a trade down situation, unless we believe the trade  partner wants the exact same player as we do, why would we not trade our first pick, rather than our 2nd if we decide to trade down when the 1st has a greater point value.

Do you happen to work at the DMV?

• Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

Alex Smith anyone?

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

All depends on how the draft falls. Lets say a guy like Vita Vea slips to the 17-19 range. Would love to give up pick 21 and an extra pick...perhaps a second or 3rd and grab him. Then trade 22 back and pick up an extra pick or 2 to make up for it and take White or Lauletta in the 2nd as long as we have a vet in place at QB.

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

If there is a QB you have targeted at that spot trading down makes a lot of sense because no one picking after pick 22 is taking a QB, so that player should still be there baring a trade up by someone.  Plus you have acquired an additional pick.

16 minutes ago, Original Byrd Man said:

If there is a QB you have targeted at that spot trading down makes a lot of sense because no one picking after pick 22 is taking a QB, so that player should still be there baring a trade up by someone.  Plus you have acquired an additional pick.

Except the Packers took Rodgers with favre still under contract for another couple of years.

Pitt took Ben with Stewart and Maddox under contract

Nobody really though Pitt would take Ben.

Don't just assume somebody won't take your guy.

In a trade scenario, if we trade our 21st pick to acquire more draft picks then we better know who the team who traded with us is taking.  In your example, if we want Baker Mayfield and he's somehow still available at #21, then we don't trade that pick.  Obviously.  The #22 pick is trade-able in that scenario though.

9 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

The lower pick has more value!!??? ?

Where did I say that? I asked that since we had consecutive picks, would that affect the actual trade values in the eyes of our potential trade partners

7 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

22nd pick has a lower contract for a player normally 

also most gms while working out a deal discuss who they are getting and won't break the trust among each other 

so yes the 2nd pick would have more value because your paying the player less 

Thank you. That is a concept I did not think about. Contract value.

And I wonder about exactly what you said. Do GMs generally discuss who each will be picking when making a deal, and do they trust each other to honor their verbal agreements and confidentiality as part of the trade negotiations?

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

As I stated, if you believe like me that if none of the QBs that are remaining at your pick are worth a 21 or a 22, and you still want one of the remaining QBs, you can trade down, get extra picks, and still select one of the remaining picks rather than reach like we did with EJ.

Edited by simpleman

18 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Where did I say that? I asked that since we had consecutive picks, would that affect the actual trade values in the eyes of our potential trade partners

Thank you. That is a concept I did not think about. Contract value.

And I wonder about exactly what you said. Do GMs generally discuss who each will be picking when making a deal, and do they trust each other to honor their verbal agreements and confidentiality as part of the trade negotiations?

This happened with the sabres a while back.  I remember one team wanting player x and both teams said who they wanted in order for the trade to happen.

I'm sure they discuss who they want to draft.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1