Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

POLL: Is Taylor a Bills QB in 2018

Is Taylor still a Bills QB in 2018?  

434 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tyrod Taylor still be under contract as a Buffalo Bills QB in 2018?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/03/2018 at 06:07 PM

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I have. I also watched the four regular season games where he played like absolute dreck, and a very so so Atlanta game.

Foles is fluky. He has absolutely incredible games every once in a while. But when he struggles, oh boy, does he struggle.

I know this, because, as the name implies, I live in the Philly area. All of the things you complained about in that post were what I heard Eagles fans complaining about for 3 weeks straight because of the dreadful play in the Oakland and Dallas games. I heard about him missing wide open guys, his passes sailing and generally looking clueless.

When the Eagles beat Atlanta, they immediately started patting Pederson on the back for limiting how much Foles had to do to win. They thanked him for shelving his aggressive tendencies to settle for running the ball, kicking a field goal to force Atlanta to march down the field to try for a touchdown, and then thanked Schwartz for having an excellent gameplan.

If this is sounding like us the past few years to anyone else, raise your hand.

When you have a franchise QB like Wentz, you can do more. But let's not pretend that Foles having a career game with a team that was already SB favorites when he took over makes him anything more than a marginal starter/high level backup.

it fits, you both have Dipper's common sense too...

Tyrod Taylor has never had an "incredible" game. But when he struggles, oh boy, does he struggle worse than Nick Foles has ever struggled. 

Not really pertinent to this discussion, but I lived in Philly for a while too. Down in the Fairmount Park area. Had a great time when I was there, still have some good friends in the area. 

Yes, I agree that you have to approach every game in a similar way with both Foles and Taylor. The big, huge, epic difference between the two is that Foles is capable of occasionally dropping 350+ on your defense, or on one really exceptionally rare occasion 7 TDs in a game (Or 1/2 of Tyrod's entire 2017 passing TD production over the course of 14 games). 

Foles is a borderline backup/starting QB. Tyrod is a firmly established #2 and shouldn't ever really be considered a starting-level talent by any measure. Well, not unless you plan on running the wishbone.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Who out there is a better option?  There is a chance we draft Lamar Jackson.  If so , who would be a better mentor then Tyrod?  Signing a veteran QB will be expensive.  Perhaps Tyrod is best combination of value and fit

How about anybody.

Any schmo could guide the Bills to the 31st ranked pass offense. God forbid he is really bad though, it's only a one spot drop to be the worst passing offense in the league, so there is that. 

39 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

...well, I know for certain that "irony" is almost certainly lost on you.

I don't think anyone here is saying that we are happy with Tyrod's production last year. I think 99.9% of people on here want Tyrod replaced with a viable improvement ASAP. I count myself in this.

McDermott did bench Tyrod because he wanted more. I can completely see that. My argument is, and has always been, that you decide you aren't getting enough, and then take less. Peterman's dumpster fire performances vs. the Charges and his game losing pick against the Jags belie the notion that you can throw any schlub in and get an improvement on offense. We CAN do worse. We DO have something to lose. And the fact that McD has gone on the record saying that he made a mistake backs that up.

I would rather not spend MORE money on someone who has a track record of being about has bad. I would be tearing my hair out at the idea that we get stuck during the draft and have to roll with Peterman.

You blame NP for that loss to the Jags makes you lose all credibility IMO!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There are true Taylor haters (who should be ignored / dismissed)

I am an anyone (with decent experience and not oft injured) but Taylor guy   but not a “we must start Peterman” guy. 

As a Bills fan I would like to see all our draftees succeed and that would include Nate.  

I won’t dismiss him immediately calling him a failure because of a very horrible game. 

We saw the same with Zay.  Is he a failure?   It is too early to say. 

:beer:

I would put myself firmly in the "Please sweet Baby Jesus, literally anyone but Tyrod, including - but only reluctantly and as an absolute last-resort -- Peterman" 

Because the way I see it, if you run with Peterman you are guaranteed one of two possible options: The kid develops into a decent Josh McCown or AJ Feely type of depth player or you end up with a top 3 draft pick. Which just gave me an idea.....

Just for the cap savings alone you have to part ways with Tyrod somehow...besides, his supposed veteran leadership of how to play the position isn’t what I want the young guys learning anyway.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

...well, I know for certain that "irony" is almost certainly lost on you.

I don't think anyone here is saying that we are happy with Tyrod's production last year. I think 99.9% of people on here want Tyrod replaced with a viable improvement ASAP. I count myself in this.

McDermott did bench Tyrod because he wanted more. I can completely see that. My argument is, and has always been, that you decide you aren't getting enough, and then take less. Peterman's dumpster fire performances vs. the Charges and his game losing pick against the Jags belie the notion that you can throw any schlub in and get an improvement on offense. We CAN do worse. We DO have something to lose. And the fact that McD has gone on the record saying that he made a mistake backs that up.

I would rather not spend MORE money on someone who has a track record of being about has bad. I would be tearing my hair out at the idea that we get stuck during the draft and have to roll with Peterman.

Interesting... you forgot to mention the Colts game. 

Find me another QB who threw for less than 100 yards and only managed to score 3 points as many times as Taylor did last year. Find me another QB that is as limited as a passer as Tyrod is. You really have to dig to get worse than him. 

39 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I get and totally agree with your talking points - but however - what is your solution that makes sense and doesn't put the Bills in cap hell?

Literally anyone. Play Peterman for all I care if the cap is really your #1 concern. AJ McCarron could come cheap. There are plenty of options out there for the Bills. 

Edited by twoandfourteen

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Wood is retiring correct me if I’m wrong but no dead cap retirement 

Retirement due to medical reasons differs.  The unknown question to the public is how much of Wood's 2018 salary is guaranteed for injury.

Spotrac is calling it 1 year of salary, which gives us a $10.4M cap hit. :(

22 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

How about anybody.

Any schmo could guide the Bills to the 31st ranked pass offense. God forbid he is really bad though, it's only a one spot drop to be the worst passing offense in the league, so there is that. 

So true.   

Let’s blame Nate for Taylors failure.  

Lmao.

13 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Interesting... you forgot to mention the Colts game. 

Find me another QB who threw for less than 100 yards and only managed to score 3 points as many times as Taylor did last year. Find me another QB that is as limited as a passer as Tyrod is. You really have to dig to get worse than him. 

Literally anyone. Play Peterman for all I care if the cap is really your #1 concern. AJ McCarron could come cheap. There are plenty of options out there for the Bills. 

Unfortunately the goal of this whole football thing is to win games, not to have the first ranked passing and/or rushing offense. Peterman has proven he cannot win games, so if you think he can play instead you have no interest in winning, plain and simple. There are plenty of other qb's that could lead us a few wins. Fortunately other folks think we have to put a team on the field that has a chance to win under the constraints set about by the nfl.

After all this organization has done to show they are intent on improving this team, I find it hard to believe they will keep Taylor.  If they do, it is only because they could not make an alternative work.  

Any way you look at it, Taylor is going to be gone sooner or later.  I hope it is sooner.

16 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Unfortunately the goal of this whole football thing is to win games, not to have the first ranked passing and/or rushing offense. Peterman has proven he cannot win games, so if you think he can play instead you have no interest in winning, plain and simple. There are plenty of other qb's that could lead us a few wins. Fortunately other folks think we have to put a team on the field that has a chance to win under the constraints set about by the nfl.

5th round draft pick, 9 months into his NFL career: 2 career starts, 1-1 record. 

Proven! Lock it in! Set in STONE!

Tyrod Taylor -- 8 year NFL career, with 58 games and 43 career starts. 22-20 record. Zero games over 300 passing yards in regulation. Nearly as many games with 0 passing TDs as 2 or more. Zero games with more than 3 passing TDs. Best season is just BARELY over 3000 passing yards. 

But you can build around and win with this guy, just have to give him a chance! 

Also, Tyrod does NOT win games. He's never WON a game for this team. 

Ok, maybe there's two against Miami where he was pretty solid.

But he's never put the team on his back and won an important game against a good football team. 

Next caller, please. 

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

Logic is probably lost on you, but the fact that the coaching staff felt compelled to replace him with a rookie who wasn't ready makes Tyrod look WORSE, not better.

I feel like this is honestly the most important, telling, and relevant point about last season, and it is totally ignored or dismissed by the TEAMTyrod virtue-signalers and idiot media. Great post, BC.

Edited by twoandfourteen

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Retirement due to medical reasons differs.  The unknown question to the public is how much of Wood's 2018 salary is guaranteed for injury.

Spotrac is calling it 1 year of salary, which gives us a $10.4M cap hit. :(

Thats terrible for teams

1 minute ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

keeping TT one more year will hinder the development of the Offense.  

More importantly, it will hinder my enjoyment of Sunday afternoons. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Dude. People are acting like I'm calling Tyrod the heir apparent to Jim Kelly. Or even a poor man's Cam Newton or Russel Wilson.

We know what he is. He's a sub-average starter or a career backup. I'm just amazed at the people who want to go out and spend MORE money and accrue that cap hit along with TT's dead money for someone of similar talent (Foles, Keenum, Bradford, Cousins), or throw in a guy who can't put on his pants without sh**ing himself like Peterman.

You can’t say that Cousins and Taylor are of similar talent. It’s just not reality.

14 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

How about anybody.

Oh Jesus...where is it...

*checks board*

*checks phone*

*rummages through office*

Sorry, I can't find where I said I gave a fig about your credibility.

:lol:

Ok, seriously though. No, I do not blame Peterman for our loss to the Jags. We are losing that game with him, or without him. I do think the score would have been even more lopsided if he starts and hands the Jags more points. Peterman had his shot at the moment, and he blew it in truly epic fashion. Maybe he gets better. But he is CERTAINLY not ready now. If his truly awful play isn't argument enough, I really don't know what to tell you.

23 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

5th round draft pick, 9 months into his NFL career: 2 career starts, 1-1 record. 

Proven! Lock it in! Set in STONE!

Tyrod Taylor -- 8 year NFL career, with 58 games and 43 career starts. 22-20 record. Zero games over 300 passing yards in regulation. Nearly as many games with 0 passing TDs as 2 or more. Zero games with more than 3 passing TDs. Best season is just BARELY over 3000 passing yards. 

But you can build around and win with this guy, just have to give him a chance! 

Also, Tyrod does NOT win games. He's never WON a game for this team. 

Ok, maybe there's two against Miami where he was pretty solid.

But he's never put the team on his back and won an important game against a good football team. 

Next caller, please. 

I feel like this is honestly the most important, telling, and relevant point about last season, and it is totally ignored or dismissed by the TEAMTyrod virtue-signalers and idiot media. Great post, BC.

You brought up the Colts. The...4-12 colts. With a completion rate of 50% and 57 yards. This...this is your defense? Seriously?

• Haha 1

i obviously voted no. i hope they draft the qb they want.

as far as trades or free agents are concerned, i'm in for foles , mc carron,  bradford if it's a one year decent deal or maybe even luck.....in that order.

i don't want to give up anything for alex smith, because i think peterman is a younger version.

however,  i think if they bring in ken dorsey for qb coach,  we may roll with nate and a rookie. we could use the cap for free agents at other spots and maximize the draft. imo, nate can give us a better record than taylor over the coarse of a season.

we will be fine this year. i'm excited. it's going to be a great off season. i haven't been this stoked in years.

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You can’t say that Cousins and Taylor are of similar talent. It’s just not reality.

It blows my mind too.

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

*checks board*

*checks phone*

Ok, seriously though. No, I do not blame Peterman for our loss to the Jags. We are losing that game with him, or without him. I do think the score would have been even more lopsided if he starts and hands the Jags more points. Peterman had his shot at the moment, and he blew it in truly epic fashion. Maybe he gets better. But he is CERTAINLY not ready now. If his truly awful play isn't argument enough, I really don't know what to tell you.

But Tyrod hasn't yet. We need to keep running with this guy so we can see what he's capable of. Just need to get him a defense that can hold opposing teams to under 2 points a game 10 or 11 times a season and then 3 or 4 straight games in the playoffs. 

Maybe by year 11 he'll throw for 300 yards in a game. Or lead the team back from a 7 point deficit. 

56 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

How about anybody.

No.

56 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Any schmo could guide the Bills to the 31st ranked pass offense.

I really loathe the way folks get divided into "Cult of Taylor" or "TEAMTyrod" or junk like that, but it actually isn't true that "any schmo" could guide the Bills to the offense we had last year (the "passing offense" per se doesn't matter - it's the number of points the offense can put up that's the key).

Let's just try something high level to make the point: The Bills had the 22nd offense in the NFL last year.  That means 10 offenses were, in fact, worse than we were.

That means at least 10 shmos QBing those 10 teams couldn't do better, Logic, yes? 

How about a different way of looking at it: in the 17 years since the Bills last made the playoffs (going back to 2000), the Bills have ranked equal or lower in offense 10 times and higher 7 times - 2 of which happen to have been the previous 2 years with Taylor.  That would include bad QB named Johnson, Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel, Tuel, and Lewis.  Most of them produced worse yardage in the passing game vs. Taylor this year and thew more interceptions on top of that.

Don't smack at me with that "Cult of Taylor"/"Team Tyrod" crap, but factually, the idea that "any schmo" could do better than Taylor is just incorrect football, 'kay?

• Like 1

First, I actually do hope he's recovered from that concussion he got on his last play.

I can't really see how you'd want him back though.  Time to go in another direction whether Foles, Cousins, etc...  One year contract sort of a guy and see where it goes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

*checks board*

*checks phone*

You brought up the Colts. The...4-12 colts. With a completion rate of 50% and 57 yards. This...this is your defense? Seriously?

blog_ap_17344651339560.thumb.JPG.db2ce8555891eeaf9df4eb15a8979547.JPG

Good point. Weather conditions looked ideal for throwing the football vs the Colts. Can't believe he only managed 57 and 1 TD. 

Unlike Tyrod, who had to somehow deal with this when throwing for 56 yards and no TDs against the Saints.  

Saints_Bills_Football_22859.jpg-87bf5_c0-137-3268-2042_s885x516.thumb.jpg.39d073e0a25aeaf361067c1d428bf786.jpg

Your arguments are so bad, I'm starting to think it's deliberate. No one can be this incredibly wrong by accident. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Logic is probably lost on you, but the fact that the coaching staff felt compelled to replace him with a rookie who wasn't ready makes Tyrod look WORSE, not better.

Actually, I think it makes the coaching staff and FO look worse, but maybe that's just me.

One can't assert that we didn't have options other than Taylor last off-season.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.

I really loathe the way folks get divided into "Cult of Taylor" or "TEAMTyrod" or junk like that, but it actually isn't true that "any schmo" could guide the Bills to the offense we had last year (the "passing offense" per se doesn't matter - it's the number of points the offense can put up that's the key).

Let's just try something high level to make the point: The Bills had the 22nd offense in the NFL last year.  That means 10 offenses were, in fact, worse than we were.

That means at least 10 shmos QBing those 10 teams couldn't do better, Logic, yes? 

How about a different way of looking at it: in the 17 years since the Bills last made the playoffs (going back to 2000), the Bills have ranked equal or lower in offense 10 times and higher 7 times - 2 of which happen to have been the previous 2 years with Taylor.  That would include bad QB named Johnson, Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel, Tuel, and Lewis.  Most of them produced worse yardage in the passing game vs. Taylor this year and thew more interceptions on top of that.

Don't smack at me with that "Cult of Taylor"/"Team Tyrod" crap, but factually, the idea that "any schmo" could do better than Taylor is just incorrect football, 'kay?

But it is true.     He passed for more yards then the bears ONLY.