Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

POLL: Is Taylor a Bills QB in 2018

Is Taylor still a Bills QB in 2018?  

434 members have voted

  1. 1. Will Tyrod Taylor still be under contract as a Buffalo Bills QB in 2018?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/03/2018 at 06:07 PM

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, wppete said:

If he is not I hope they can trade and get a draft pick for him. 

 

There won't be a trade.

To trade him they would have to kick in the next year bonus and option (18mil total) then HOPE somebody traded for him.

 

That's a big risk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

 

That's a great job that rookie did in his place, right?

Wait, you're not supposed to have as many passes caught by the other team as yours? 

It’s irrelevant what Peterman did because TT was bad enough to be benched.  

 

Four games where the offense scored only 3 points with Taylor under center.   4!!!  

 

3 games with QB ratings of ~ 33, 36 and 43. (Close enough to fact). 

 

No.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Simple question for all to put themselves on record.

 

I'm really not sure, but definitely lean towards Taylor still being on the team for veteran leadership and maybe even a little more for cultural leadership and I also think Dabol would be intrigued to work with him for a year.

 

But we're still drafting a QB in the 1st.

 

What say you?

 

I didn't vote.  I am squarely on the fence here.

 

I do NOT want to see the Bills pull a Nix move, where they cut Taylor without having a clear improvement in the stable.  Peterman, despite his fervent fans, is NOT an improvement at this point.  Signing a QB with known fragility issues such as Bradford or Bridgewater would not be an improvement.

 

I DO want to see an improvement at QB in the form of a vet signing, and a young QB with potential drafted.  I think the Eric Woods cap hit makes us less likely to "sell the farm" to trade up, since we will be less able to sign FA and more dependent on draft picks to restock.  I think we are less likely to pursue Cousins.

 

It would not totally shock me if Daboll pulls a Roman/Harbaugh where everyone expected them to cut ties from Smith and move on, but instead they gave him a playbook and made him functional (while drafting a QB they hoped could be the future)

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twoandfourteen said:

 

Can they consistently give you over 150 passing yards in a game? Can they run a modern passing offense with a complete playbook? Can they read a defense reliably enough and move to a second or third option? Then they absolutely are far and away improvements because they can actually play the position of quarterback. Tyrod is a hard NO on all three of those things. 

 

Kyle Orton was definitely a better QB and one can easily make an argument for Fitz as well. 

 

But I'll give you that Taylor is probably better than Jeff Tuel, EJ, Cardale, and Thad Lewis.

 

I have to do some digging to find it, but last week someone was asking why we didn't go after Foles, using a similar argument: that even Foles at his worst was better than Tyrod. Except, the numbers really don't bear that out. It turns out, being put into a system that does not suit your strengths and with a deficit of passing talent, quarterbacks do worse.

 

I will dispute Orton and Fitz, but it's not even that. Along the lines of what @Kirby Jackson said, is it worth $25-30 Million in cap space for 220 yards per game vs 187 yards per game (Tyrod's REAL average) for $18 M? Because that's the effective cost.

 

Hey, if we get a Week 1 starter Rookie, great. But the cap hit occurs before the draft. The chance of having to put out Peterman should give us all terror sweats, and I'd rather not cut all of our few remaining cuttable vets to fit someone to be marginally better, and still get knocked out in round 1 because we decimated the roster to get a slightly less bad QB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

 

That's a great job that rookie did in his place, right?

Wait, you're not supposed to have as many passes caught by the other team as yours? 

 

Logic is probably lost on you, but the fact that the coaching staff felt compelled to replace him with a rookie who wasn't ready makes Tyrod look WORSE, not better.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Peterman, despite his fervent fans, is NOT an improvement at this point. 

How many “fervent fans” are you speaking of?  

 

Savior Peterman is #1 and I’d say there are less than 5 total in that category.   It’s hard to say when I have these types on ignore.  

 

Are you classifying “Anyone but Taylor” people in this group?  

 

Taylor will not improve after 8 seasons.  He is the same as his scouting report.   We need an upgrade.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god man - you are gonna pull SaviorPeterman outa the woodwork with that statement........let him lie....haven't made my way thru this thread so chances are he has chimed in...ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

 

No, it's not.

 

But, it SHOULD serve as a reminder as how to ridiculous this idea of "Let's just throw anyone in there. They HAVE to be better than Tyrod" is.

 

What I am seeing from most people in this thread who have voted no is "Tyrod sucks". Very, very few have given a reason why he is disposable, never mind an actual plan of what to do. They are so blinded by their hate that they think any option, ANY option is better, even when you have ample example of why just throwing in Peterman was a dumpster fire.

 

 

yeah. I know.But for all of the reasons I listed, there are no vets on the market who ARE complete QBs. Otherwise, they would not be on the market. Even those come at ludicrous cap hits. Which is why we SHOULD get one we can develop. Which means waiting until May, and has the unknown.

That's something that's inevitable now. Yes Tyrod has a few good qualities but asking him to do the simple things that any Pro team should ask of their signal caller he can't do ( read a defense go through more than one progression etc) I'm ok with dumping money into another vet who can do those things and bridge the gap while the rookie we pick in April (hopefully) develops.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

 

Logic is probably lost on you, but the fact that the coaching staff felt compelled to replace him with a rookie who wasn't ready makes Tyrod look WORSE, not better.

 

...well, I know for certain that "irony" is almost certainly lost on you.

 

I don't think anyone here is saying that we are happy with Tyrod's production last year. I think 99.9% of people on here want Tyrod replaced with a viable improvement ASAP. I count myself in this.

 

McDermott did bench Tyrod because he wanted more. I can completely see that. My argument is, and has always been, that you decide you aren't getting enough, and then take less. Peterman's dumpster fire performances vs. the Charges and his game losing pick against the Jags belie the notion that you can throw any schlub in and get an improvement on offense. We CAN do worse. We DO have something to lose. And the fact that McD has gone on the record saying that he made a mistake backs that up.

 

I would rather not spend MORE money on someone who has a track record of being about has bad. I would be tearing my hair out at the idea that we get stuck during the draft and have to roll with Peterman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Oh god man - you are gonna pull SaviorPeterman outa the woodwork with that statement........let him lie....haven't made my way thru this thread so chances are he has chimed in...ugh.

Don't worry, he has many high level meetings scheduled right now. Won't be posting.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'll take cultural leadership for $18 million Alex

 

I'm firmly in the "cya tyrod" group.

 

Smith will cost more than $18mil this year though.

 

He's in the books for $20mil this year (only year under contract) and you have to add the $8.6 cap hit from cutting tyrod to whomever we replace him with for mathematical cap ramifications.

 

So technically Alex Smith would cost about $28 mil of cap space this year, plus whatever assets traded to get him.

 

That's why I'm NOT in the Alex Smith camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

That's something that's inevitable now. Yes Tyrod has a few good qualities but asking him to do the simple things that any Pro team should ask of their signal caller he can't do ( read a defense go through more than one progression etc) I'm ok with dumping money into another vet who can do those things and bridge the gap while the rookie we pick in April (hopefully) develops.


Well, at least you have a logical flow to your argument and we just have differing plans as to how to go forward long term. This is better than 90% of what I have seen on here. Legit kudos to you sir. :thumbsup:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

 

28th ranked passing that year.   Stop the lies 

 

shady and gilly were good though.  

 

Tyrod disappeared when needed like usual. 

 

Horse is dead, if you watch all the games I don’t get it.   

 

He sucks.   He’s always sucked.     

 

 

 

 

Yeah but like he keeps saying......from a logical standpoint - what is your option other than burn him at the stake?  They need new blood - aka draft or a miracle trade......sadly there are really no options at this point that are cap friendly and will result in better QB play - is tt maddening?  Yes, did he get us to the playoffs?  Yes, will it be great to part ways with him and have a REAL QB, resoundingly YES!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How many “fervent fans” are you speaking of?  

Savior Peterman is #1 and I’d say there are less than 5 total in that category.   It’s hard to say when I have these types on ignore.  

 

Ha!  You copped my line.  "hard to say when....."  (I also suspect some sock puppets but don't care enough to prove)

All I can say is, as a lifelong football fan who tries to be a student of the game, I'm surprised by how many here say they'd be OK with the Bills planning to start Peterman. 

 

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Are you classifying “Anyone but Taylor” people in this group?  

Taylor will not improve after 8 seasons.  He is the same as his scouting report.   We need an upgrade.   

 

"Anyone but Taylor" is a different group, IMHO equally wrong-headed, but sure, if their idea is Peterman >> Taylor I'll count them twice. 

 

It reminds me of the "anyone but Fitz" group Back in Da Day (and perhaps has some of the same members). 

 

If the question is "who can QB the Bills to make them competitive for the championship almost every year?" Taylor is clearly not the answer.  But there are quite a number of QB who are no better and many who would be worse, some much worse.  "Anyone but Taylor" is either football-ignorant, or an extreme viewpoint adopted to troll.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His future with the Bills was over the minute we benched him for Peterman. McDermott can't come back from that. We will probably end up trading him for whatever we can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

 

I want him off the roster because he can't throw a football or manage to score more than 3 points in a game. 

 

I want him off the roster because he can't bring a team back from being down more than 4 points at any time. 

 

I want him off the team because he can't read defenses. 

 

I want him off the team because he's not a starting-calibre QB by any measurable other than avoiding INTs. Great. I've never thrown an INT in an NFL game. He also avoids throwing for yards and touchdowns as well. 

 

 

Your "y'alls hate on TYROD because he ain't Peyton Brady"  hyperbole is absolute nonsense. We all respect the guy as a great person and the consummate professional. But his production and skill level indicates that he is a career backup QB, at best. To insist that he's some kind of legitimate starter is complete delusion.  

 

 

 

 

I get and totally agree with your talking points - but however - what is your solution that makes sense and doesn't put the Bills in cap hell?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

 

I have to do some digging to find it, but last week someone was asking why we didn't go after Foles, using a similar argument: that even Foles at his worst was better than Tyrod. Except, the numbers really don't bear that out. It turns out, being put into a system that does not suit your strengths and with a deficit of passing talent, quarterbacks do worse.

 

I will dispute Orton and Fitz, but it's not even that. Along the lines of what @Kirby Jackson said, is it worth $25-30 Million in cap space for 220 yards per game vs 187 yards per game (Tyrod's REAL average) for $18 M? Because that's the effective cost.

 

Hey, if we get a Week 1 starter Rookie, great. But the cap hit occurs before the draft. The chance of having to put out Peterman should give us all terror sweats, and I'd rather not cut all of our few remaining cuttable vets to fit someone to be marginally better, and still get knocked out in round 1 because we decimated the roster to get a slightly less bad QB

 

I couldn't really care less at this point. I'm sure you watched some of the Eagles playoff games. In one game, Nick Foles made more plays and big throws than Tyrod Taylor has in three years. Blake Bortles was better against New England than Tyrod Taylor has EVER been -- had the champs on the ropes and that was in the AFC Championship game, by the way. 

 

Where is the point where the system holds a player back so much that scoring more than a single FG becomes a 50/50 proposition?  At the level of production we saw on many occasions this year, the "system" became irrelevant and it was a pure issue of the lack of talent and competence in the player. I don't think Rick Dennison was calling "throw the ball 5 yards out of bounds" or "QB hold the ball, spin, scramble left, scramble backwards, scramble right, hold on to the ball, throw it to the TE's shoes". 

 

At a certain point, a player has to be able to execute the basic, fundamental responsibilities of his position. The system is there to really "fine tune" things at the top end. The best "system" for Tyrod Taylor is "catch and return this punt" or "convert to slot receiver". 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It turns out, being put into a system that does not suit your strengths and with a deficit of passing talent, quarterbacks do worse.

 

Dennison getting fired adds an interesting wrinkle to this question. We brought Tyrod back for the year so McDermott obviously thought there was some chance of Tyrod proving himself the franchise QB. Dennison's system didn't use his strengths at all, and then he got fired. From what I've read about Daboll he would build an offense around Tyrod's strengths if he had to. So does McDermott want to see what Tyrod can do with a more versatile OC? I'm still leaning towards no and Tyrod is definitely gone, but firing Dennison does give him an avenue to bring Tyrod back if he wants him in the mix for an open competition.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

 

28th ranked passing that year.   Stop the lies 

 

shady and gilly were good though.  

 

Tyrod disappeared when needed like usual. 

 

Horse is dead, if you watch all the games I don’t get it.   

 

He sucks.   He’s always sucked.     

 

 

 

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

 

I couldn't really care less at this point. I'm sure you watched some of the Eagles playoff games. In one game, Nick Foles made more plays and big throws than Tyrod Taylor has in three years. Blake Bortles was better against New England than Tyrod Taylor has EVER been -- had the champs on the ropes and that was in the AFC Championship game, by the way. 

 

Where is the point where the system holds a player back so much that scoring more than a single FG becomes a 50/50 proposition?  At the level of production we saw on many occasions this year, the "system" became irrelevant and it was a pure issue of the lack of talent and competence in the player. I don't think Rick Dennison was calling "throw the ball 5 yards out of bounds" or "QB hold the ball, spin, scramble left, scramble backwards, scramble right, hold on to the ball, throw it to the TE's shoes". 

 

At a certain point, a player has to be able to execute the basic, fundamental responsibilities of his position. The system is there to really "fine tune" things at the top end. The best "system" for Tyrod Taylor is "catch and return this punt" or "convert to slot receiver". 

 

 

 

I have. I also watched the four regular season games where he played like absolute dreck, and a very so so Atlanta game.

 

Foles is fluky. He has absolutely incredible games every once in a while. But when he struggles, oh boy, does he struggle.

 

I know this, because, as the name implies, I live in the Philly area. All of the things you complained about in that post were what I heard Eagles fans complaining about for 3 weeks straight because of the dreadful play in the Oakland and Dallas games. I heard about him missing wide open guys, his passes sailing and generally looking clueless.

 

 When the Eagles beat Atlanta, they immediately started patting Pederson on the back for limiting how much Foles had to do to win. They thanked him for shelving his aggressive tendencies to settle for running the ball, kicking a field goal to force Atlanta to march down the field to try for a touchdown, and then thanked Schwartz for having an excellent gameplan.

 

If this is sounding like us the past few years to anyone else, raise your hand.

 

When you have a franchise QB like Wentz, you can do more. But let's not pretend that Foles having a career game with a team that was already SB favorites when he took over makes him anything more than a marginal starter/high level backup.

4 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

 

giphy.gif

 it fits, you both have Dipper's common sense too...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor is a good man and a great teammate, unfortunately he is a backup QB in the NFL. Being owed 6 million in March when the draft isn't until April will likely make the decision to part ways with him easier.

 

I'd love to see Mayfield drop to us at  #21 and roll with him but I think the chances of him making it out of the top 10 are slim to none. I could see Rudolph and Jackson making it to us but there are no guarantees of that happening and neither should probably be the starter at any point in year one.

 

As far as vets besides Tyrod ...

Alex Smith - Big salary and would have to be traded for

Sam Bradford - Would be a surprise if he wasn't on IR by October

Teddy Bridgewater - Hasn't really played since blowing up his knee. That scares me.

AJ McCarron - What has he done in this league to think he'd be better than even Peterman ?

Nick Foles - Is he a free agent ? ... If not the Eagles will want a kings ransom for him.

 

I see the Bills letting Tyrod go ... Drafting Mason Rudolph ... Rudolph and Peterman compete in camp for the starters job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Ha!  You copped my line.  "hard to say when....."  (I also suspect some sock puppets but don't care enough to prove)

All I can say is, as a lifelong football fan who tries to be a student of the game, I'm surprised by how many here say they'd be OK with the Bills planning to start Peterman. 

 

 

"Anyone but Taylor" is a different group, IMHO equally wrong-headed, but sure, if their idea is Peterman >> Taylor I'll count them twice. 

 

It reminds me of the "anyone but Fitz" group Back in Da Day (and perhaps has some of the same members). 

 

If the question is "who can QB the Bills to make them competitive for the championship almost every year?" Taylor is clearly not the answer.  But there are quite a number of QB who are no better and many who would be worse, some much worse.  "Anyone but Taylor" is either football-ignorant, or an extreme viewpoint adopted to troll.

There are true Taylor haters (who should be ignored / dismissed)

 

I am an anyone (with decent experience and not oft injured) but Taylor guy   but not a “we must start Peterman” guy. 

 

As a Bills fan I would like to see all our draftees succeed and that would include Nate.  

 

I won’t dismiss him immediately calling him a failure because of a very horrible game. 

We saw the same with Zay.  Is he a failure?   It is too early to say. 

:beer:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×