Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

POLL: Is Taylor a Bills QB in 2018

Is Taylor still a Bills QB in 2018?  

434 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tyrod Taylor still be under contract as a Buffalo Bills QB in 2018?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/03/2018 at 06:07 PM

Simple question for all to put themselves on record.

I'm really not sure, but definitely lean towards Taylor still being on the team for veteran leadership and maybe even a little more for cultural leadership and I also think Dabol would be intrigued to work with him for a year.

But we're still drafting a QB in the 1st.

What say you?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Nope. I think it would be consistent for McDermott and Bean to trade or cut Taylor. Last seasons transactions in regards to high profile but underachieving players is how I came to that conclusion. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm really not sure, but definitely lean towards Taylor still being on the team for veteran leadership and maybe even a little more for cultural leadership and I also think Dabol would be intrigued to work with him for a year.

What say you?

I only gave TT no bigger than a 20% shot of being on the team at the start of the season...........................until the news about Wood.

I don't think the implications of what just happened has "sunk in" to a lot of people.

We now have as much "Dead Money" already this year as Cap Space, 29 Million.

The extra 10 million (and having to fill a starter spot) is really going to be hard to absorb.

I must admit I felt a little upset in the stomach when I heard the news and realized we may have to keep TT for the last year.

Transplant, you may get your wish on keeping TT around. 

• Sad 2

Funny thing is, my biggest wish is probably Darnold under center.

If not Darnold, then Mayfield.

This is really less about what you want to happen (which I think is what really drives the logic and reasoning of a shocking number of posters here) than what you think will happen

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I only gave TT no bigger than a 20% shot of being on the team at the start of the season...........................until the news about Wood.

I don't think the implications of what just happened has "sunk in" to a lot of people.

The extra 10 million (and having to fill a starter spot) is really going to be hard to absorb.

I must admit I felt a little upset in the stomach when I heard the news and realized we may have to keep TT for the last year.

Sooooo... click "yes" if you think he'll be around   :flirt:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What say you?

I will say exactly what I said before in other of your TT threads both here and on the old board - there is a chance, but it will cost the Bills and if you are looking for him to provide leadership to a young QB that is a real issue.

Unless you are drafting a very similar one read and run style QB  - maybe a Lamar Jackson type - anything TT is going to teach will hinder future growth in a QB.  You want a veteran leader to show proper progression within the pocket and how read defenses so the rookie can see techniques on film.  TT is a free lance QB that excels at doing his own thing and not playing within the design of an offense.  

This is will be OC #4 and Dabol may be intrigued but if he wants to design an offense - he needs a QB and if you want to teach technique to WRs and Oline for growth and development then you need a QB style to develop around and TT is not that.  If they design an offense around his strengths it sets the team back as you move forward because he does not play like any other QB that the Bills should want.

I do not care if they trade or just sign a FA - even if it is a step back - as long as it is a guy that can play the position in a fashion similar to what you want to grow your future QB around it is a step in the right direction. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wood is retiring correct me if I’m wrong but no dead cap retirement 

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

It adds more than $5m in dead space (saves $3m). 

I’d say that there is maybe a 20% chance Tyrod remains. It certainly isn’t likely. A lot will depend on who Daboll wants as the bridge guy. Can they get a better option at $8M (the amount Tyrod being released would open)? At least, I think that’s the amount I didn’t check Sportrac. 

He's as good as gone.

I voted no because I hope we have someone better. However it is way way to early for this. We have to see what happens in free agency\draft.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

His unfortunate circumstances leave the bills with 10.5 mil or so in dead cap.

Cutting tyrod saves a bunch of money, so I'm not sure why people think it won't.

If anything this would mean he's gone even more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It adds more than $5m in dead space (saves $3m). 

I’d say that there is maybe a 20% chance Tyrod remains. It certainly isn’t likely. A lot will depend on who Daboll wants as the bridge guy. Can they get a better option at $8M (the amount Tyrod being released would open)? At least, I think that’s the amount I didn’t check Sportrac. 

Last I heard, it pushes the entire cap hit to this year. The Bills lose $10 M in cap, and can only limit it to $8 M by designating it June 1st.

I think he stays, for reasons I have outlined before: You don't cut your starting QB until you know you have a more viable option. Fellow journeymen like Case Keenum, and Foles don't provide a consistent upgrade, and will get way overpaid. Cousins is going to get way overpaid vs our cap. Bradford is a constant injury risk, and even then doesn't have a track record of high season long production. The only veteran option I even see as possible is to trade for Alex Smith, and even that requires giving up assets. And even that leads to a cap hit, as his salary and bonuses along with Tyrods's dead cap gives a net loss in cap space or a *maybe* marginal improvement on a one year rental.

So barring my fever dream of the Bills trading for Andrew Luck, you do it smart: Keep Tyrod in place. Draft a rookie in the first round. Bring the rookie along at his own pace in 2018. If he beats out Tyrod in training camp...great! Start him, keep Tyrod as the backup and go for a deep playoff run? If he doesn't, wait until during the season when Tyrod hits a skid or we go into a blowout and bring him along until you think the rookie is ready.

Does Tyrod play out of his mind in 2018 and keep the rookie on the bench (like Alex Smith did)? Great. You've gotten another playoff run out of it, and you've had a year to bring your rookie along. Taylor is off the books in 2019, and you roll with the rookie.

But no, BMBB syndrome is letting their blind hatred for the best QB we've had in a decade lash out...

13 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

The op’s obsession with suck continues 

Meanwhile your obsession with reckless spending to make ourselves worse has only grown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I voted no because I want it to be no.... That said I expect anything. Could be yes then a trade before the 53 cut. Could be yes then a trade @ draft. Could be yes and he fights to be the starter. Could be NOT A CHANCE IN HADES!

He's owed $18 mil this year if they keep him.

They gave 8.6 in "dead cap" if they cut him, which saves 9.4 in cap room (it would be 18 in cap room if we kept him)

Alex Smith is due 20mil this year, though I'm not sure how that works on a trade.

If it stays as it's, that would mean a total of 28.6mil against cap for that roster spot (20 Smith, 8.6 dead from Taylor)

The only logical thing with Smith would be a sign and trade, for a 2 year extension or so, spacing the $$ out (that would also mean any QB your drafted is riding the pine for 2 seasons)

Personally I'm done with Taylor.

I'd still rather cut him than pay him $18mil this year, and roll with a rookie or a cheap vet.

We are in QB hell (finishing 7-9, 8-8, 9-7) with the only thing holding us back from double digits wins is a good QB.

I'm tired of mediocre, would rather take a chance and be awful than stand pat with average.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What say you?

Did you really need another Tyrod thread dude?   Come on man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have supported taylor the entire time.....been a fan of his but i say no...time to turn the page and start new with the QB position

41 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Meanwhile your obsession with reckless spending to make ourselves worse has only grown

18 mil for 31st ranked passing game.  

L O L        

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

18 mil for 31st ranked passing game.  2016 top 10 scoring offense

L O L        

Fixed it for you. Do you miss the taste of Rico?

What is the definition of redundant? 

What is the definition of superfluous?

What is the definition of repetition? 

If the new OC does a quick scan of the tapes and doesn't make a quick absolute judgment on the obvious he should be summarily fired before he puts his family pictures in his office. 

• Like 3

3 points of offence in a Playoff game.  3 points of offence against the division rival. Benched for a rookie QB mid season. I voted no.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like 4

Just now, Lfod said:

3 points of offence in a Playoff game.  3 points of offence against your division rival. Benched for a rookie QB mid season. I voted no.

That's a great job that rookie did in his place, right?

Wait, you're not supposed to have as many passes caught by the other team as yours?