This Michigan State stuff is crazy

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, CritMark said:

My sense is similar to yours but I draw a slightly different conclusion.  Is just kicking out the bad guys enough?  Should they have worked more diligently to see that the player was charged instead of just shipping the player off to another school where he is free to repeat his offenses?  Accepting that the football program can not charge them, their active and vocal participation in the process sends a completely different message than just kicking them off the team.

I have a daughter who went to college and subsequently grad school and fortunately did not experience any violence against her.   But as a father I am telling you if the response from the program that the offender played for was "We kicked him off the team" I would want their head, forget about their job.

it's kinda weak as a suggestion, but kicking them off the team and the police deciding no further action is required is a heck of a lot better than they didn't do a darn thing because the accused was best friends of the Administration and Board...

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's kinda weak as a suggestion, but kicking them off the team and the police deciding no further action is required is a heck of a lot better than they didn't do a darn thing because the accused was best friends of the Administration and Board...

Why is it a weak suggestion.  What they did was send the message that if you sexually abuse a female on campus you will kicked off the team.  That's it.  People don't care what you say, especially when it comes to cracking down on these types of things.  They will pay attention to what you do. 

Hold a team meeting and tell the team that any allegation will be turned over to to campus security, the Title 9 office, local police and the District Attorney's office.  Tell all the players, directly involved or not, as well that they are to cooperate fully with all investigations and any failure to do so or any evidence that the information they provided was not 100% consistent with their knowledge of the incident will result in immediate dismissal from the team.  

Tell which of those messages will get the attention of the players?  Hopefully they will never have to, but if they did have to enforce this position they would only have to do it once.  The message that they take these things seriously and there will be consequences will heard loud and clear.

Edited by CritMark

Crit, the police were brought in for the football situations and it was not seen as worthy of going forward, I explicitly stated that

your over the top rampant emotionalism is showing here....

again, the hoops situation is different, ALSO explicitly stated by me, which your hairy spaz dance failed to absorb

Edited by row_33

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Crit, the police were brought in for the football situations and it was not seen as worthy of going forward, I explicitly stated that

your over the top rampant emotionalism is showing here....

again, the hoops situation is different, ALSO explicitly stated by me, which your hairy spaz dance failed to absorb

To quote a famous movie line, what we have here is a failure to communicate. You are talking about a specific situation and I am talking about policy.  I want to see an actual strict policy vigorously enforced.  I want an environment where all students feel safe and potential perpetrators know there are serious consequences for their actions.  That did not and currently does not exist at MSU.  That did not exist at Baylor.  If you look at the stats, it does not exist on a large number of campuses around the country.  

I'm sorry if you can't distinguish between the two. That said, I will back away from this conversation.  It's obvious with the name calling you are incapable of intelligent discourse.  To bad too, this is a serious issue worth some serious conversation.

I wish you well.

Edited by CritMark

5 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

NCAA doesn't have the authority, power or interest (sadly) in handling these issues.  State AG is the best bet.

I think they need to do a real investigation that is not tied to political donations ...scrap the AG and go right to the Feds...

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.