This Michigan State stuff is crazy

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Emmert has to go. The ncaa is a joke.They spend all this time and money making sure the schools comply with its archaic rulebook. What is it doing to make sure the schools are complying with federal law?

The NCAA is a hollow encrusted bureaucratic organization that for the now should stay out of this sick episode that mercifully ended because of the action of these brave young women. They paid a horrible price but in the end their courage and persistence brought this evil enterprise to an end.  What needs to happen now is a comprehensive investigation of everything that happened. All the parties involved from the police who took the reports, the people who received complaints, administrators, board members, everyone, from top to bottom, should be held accountable. There involved in this multi-layer of silence and complicity have to be held accountable. This evil doctor thrived in this cesspool of silence. The oxygen that allowed him and his evil kind to exist was silence. 

Whether it is the church, military, schools, corporate world when there is a complaint related to sexual assault it should be handled outside of where it occurred and treated as a police matter. That's how you put a stop to it. And one way of forcing those in authority to take action is to hold them accountable for what goes on underneath them. In that way you are forcing them to stay engaged and not have the excuse of "I didn't know" when it is your job to know what is going on.  

I’ve always thought Dantonio was a good coach and a good man. Unfortunately, I find it hard to believe that he didn’t know about any of the sexual assault claims with his players prior to the ones that came up last summer, like he says. The whole thing seems like a giant, penn state level cover up. 

The E:60 episode is very well done - it’s hard to see how he and Izzo survive this.

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s not archaic to stop sexual assault and felonies on campus. 

That’s my point. They are so worried about archaic stuff like whether someone bought a pizza for a kid on a recruiting trip (the horror!) or a kid gets paid off his own likeness (why shouldn’t he?) and ignore sexual assault claims. Where is the accountability on the part of the ncaa?? If the Nassar stuff hadn’t happened would the ncaa have ever investigated MSU? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Emmert has to go. The ncaa is a joke.They spend all this time and money making sure the schools comply with its archaic rulebook. What is it doing to make sure the schools are complying with federal law?

The only people who disagree with this seem to be those who are somehow engaged with the system.....can you say careers?

Nobody "circles the wagons" like the institution that is the NCAA trying to protect the NCAA. That may be a bit hyperbolic, the Federal Gov and many other huge institution always work hard to save the patient and not necassarrily what most reasonable people would think is right.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

The NCAA is a hollow encrusted bureaucratic organization that for the now should stay out of this sick episode that mercifully ended because of the action of these brave young women. They paid a horrible price but in the end their courage and persistence brought this evil enterprise to an end.  What needs to happen now is a comprehensive investigation of everything that happened. All the parties involved from the police who took the reports, the people who received complaints, administrators, board members, everyone, from top to bottom, should be held accountable. There involved in this multi-layer of silence and complicity have to be held accountable. This evil doctor thrived in this cesspool of silence. The oxygen that allowed him and his evil kind to exist was silence. 

Whether it is the church, military, schools, corporate world when there is a complaint related to sexual assault it should be handled outside of where it occurred and treated as a police matter. That's how you put a stop to it. And one way of forcing those in authority to take action is to hold them accountable for what goes on underneath them. In that way you are forcing them to stay engaged and not have the excuse of "I didn't know" when it is your job to know what is going on.  

Wow. 

For once, I agree with you completely.

Also quite impressed by your eloquence.  "The oxygen that allowed him and his evil kind to exist was silence",  nice.

I'm out of "likes" for today

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

The university industrial complex has declared itself fully able to handle criminal assault accusations by deans and strudent star chambers.

they know the police are always against the victim.....

On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I'm pretty sure it's the government's job to make sure schools comply with federal law.  The last time I checked, the NCAA wasn't an enforcement arm of the federal government.

The only way these schools are going to take this seriously is to institute a system wide, ultra strict policy (right now each school makes their own rules on how to investigate) and any non-compliance is an automatic death penalty, ZERO scholarships for ALL mens athletics for 5 years.  Any subsequent violations doubles the duration.  Let them start losing millions in revenue and see if that gets there attention.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I'm pretty sure it's the government's job to make sure schools comply with federal law.  The last time I checked, the NCAA wasn't an enforcement arm of the federal government.

You are correct but as the system is currently constructed, each institution sets their own rules on how to investigate.  I heard a stat this morning that 20% of schools have the athletic department investigate allegations against athletes.  If this is what these schools think is a fair and impartial methodology, just imagine what kind of education they are providing your children.

25 minutes ago, CritMark said:

The only way these schools are going to take this seriously is to institute a system wide, ultra strict policy (right now each school makes their own rules on how to investigate) and any non-compliance is an automatic death penalty, ZERO scholarships for ALL mens athletics for 5 years.  Any subsequent violations doubles the duration.  Let them start losing millions in revenue and see if that gets there attention.

You are correct but as the system is currently constructed, each institution sets their own rules on how to investigate.  I heard a stat this morning that 20% of schools have the athletic department investigate allegations against athletes.  If this is what these schools think is a fair and impartial methodology, just imagine what kind of education they are providing your children.

It's no secret how bad it is for people who want to go to school to actually study and live a decent life.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Pure intuition and a bit of reading tells me the football program did what it shoulda and kicked out bad guys, but the hoops program?   Yikes....

My sense is similar to yours but I draw a slightly different conclusion.  Is just kicking out the bad guys enough?  Should they have worked more diligently to see that the player was charged instead of just shipping the player off to another school where he is free to repeat his offenses?  Accepting that the football program can not charge them, their active and vocal participation in the process sends a completely different message than just kicking them off the team.

I have a daughter who went to college and subsequently grad school and fortunately did not experience any violence against her.   But as a father I am telling you if the response from the program that the offender played for was "We kicked him off the team" I would want their head, forget about their job.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.