Beane's Transactions

Ittakestime

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I love the job Mcd and Frazier did with the D. But no matter what that offense was not a winning combination.  From the time they hired Dennison anyone with any football acumen can tell u Tyrod did not fit his offense. Tyrod is not a pro style QB the wco is not suitable to Tyrod strength.  This was just first of many baffling decisions they made on the offensive side of the ball. 

So u say fit but these guys kept the guy that's supposed to fit the most the QB. Not only that they brought in Wrs that don't cater to they're QB strengths either.  The offense as a whole was a cluster **** . Maybe that should of been the nickname of this offense.  My point is the offense was not built correctly from the beginning and we were damn lucky to make the playoffs.  More lucky then good.  Hopefully Mcd learned his lesson from this and brings in the pieces nessesary to build a offense that can have consistent sustainable success. 

It was obvious to me that this team wanted to see what they had in Tyrod Taylor and see if he could fit what they wanted for a QB as the man does have the wherewithal to be a starter in the NFL, albeit not quite good enough. I think that Saints game clinched what this FO thinks of TT.

Some of the offensive coaches stunk and the primary reason as to why former Bills OC Dennison now works for the NY Jets. I'd like to see Juan Castillo as the run game coordinator/line coach follow him to NY because the rush offense really wasn't very good for most of the season with basically the same players. I dunno, perhaps McD feels there is hope for the guy considering what he did for shady in Philly.

The biggest dropoff from what I saw was in the run game and that was the primary focus of the offense. If the run game doesn't work for a run first team with a limited QB then the offense will usually fail. Yea, sure McCoy finished 4th in yards which was better than 2016 @ 6th, or 2015, @12th. But I attribute that more to McCoys ability to make tacklers miss over the line blocking.

From PFF, Buffalo ranked 22nd.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

"However, the issues come with run-blocking, where basically everyone but Incognito has a poor grade so far. The Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts, but they rank just 17th in yards before contact, averaging just 1.06 yards on these plays."

Like I said, most of the talking heads had this team tanking/rebuilding this season and yet for the first time in 17 years they made the playoffs. I'll reserve my complaining about anyone until next year at this time. Unless of course, it's about Juan Castillo :D

EDIT: on another note Bills fans need to realize that neither Woods nor Watkins would be worth the money they got or will get from the Rams with a QB like Tyrod throwing to them. Even for the Rams with Geoff throwing, Woods was the 38th best receiver in the league this year.

Edited by Nihilarian

Watkins for Gaines and 2nd = Gaines hurt all year, something new each week.  We were 8-4 with Gaines? he brings a lot lets us mask what were doing. Yep needs to be more reliable but in a trade with Mr Unreliable he was better than Ronald Darby- resign him.

Darby for Matthews and 3rd = Matthews didn't even finish season from previous injuries. As stated above covering for Darby Gaines was a better replacement. Matthews had multiple injuries and really needs a passing quarterback to see his value. If we sign an actual passing quarterback (Cousins) I'd resign Matthews but his career took a shot with Tyrod.

Wood 2 year extension = Wood retirement before contract even kicked in Leadership plays a role but shouldn't be above production. I'm very sorry his career ended before he was ready. His play has slipped the last 2 years and I thought they might move on but hes an average center and a good leader so I was okay with it.

Seymour for Clay = Both players ended up contributing for Carolina Clay had 50 yds all year- stop it!.....Seymour played special teams but he's the 4th corner

Ragland for 4th = Ragland starting LB in KC Ragland fits their defense but lets take a breath and remember their defense stinks!

Dareus for 5th = Dareus looking great for Jacksonville while we left with dead money Option two is we have the dead money and the dead body had to get out from under it. He's a good little player as a back up on a loaded defense

Signed Rod Streater = Didn't play a snap this year Are you supposed to know who gets hurt, how and how long they will be out before they get on the field?

Signed Boldin = Didn't play a snap this year could have been a good signing as a teacher for young wide outs, thought he was too good for a bad team. These are grown ass men- took a man at his word - he lied that is not on the Bills

Traded a 3rd for Benjamin = Benjamin getting hurt 2nd game here (knees were questioned as soon as trade went down, have always been an issue for him).Your not going to get a Benjamin talent in the third round. Blew his ACL in 2015 knees havent always been a concern his hamstrings have been a little problem. This is a good signing again provided you add an actual NFL passer.

This team added picks while making the playoffs. Kudos to everyone involved

who missed Dareus? Who missed Watkins ? I'll stop there I didn't miss any of them- never thought about them

Edited by CardinalScotts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Dumb list filled with inaccurate statements, but what takes the cake is mentioning Wood in that list.   That's just ignorant. 

I listed his transactions.  Wood was on the list on espn's website.  Is ESPN ignorant for saying Wood was signed to a 2 year extension?  I'm confused.

45 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

Watkins for Gaines and 2nd = Gaines hurt all year, something new each week.  We were 8-4 with Gaines? he brings a lot lets us mask what were doing. Yep needs to be more reliable but in a trade with Mr Unreliable he was better than Ronald Darby- resign him.

Darby for Matthews and 3rd = Matthews didn't even finish season from previous injuries. As stated above covering for Darby Gaines was a better replacement. Matthews had multiple injuries and really needs a passing quarterback to see his value. If we sign an actual passing quarterback (Cousins) I'd resign Matthews but his career took a shot with Tyrod.

Wood 2 year extension = Wood retirement before contract even kicked in Leadership plays a role but shouldn't be above production. I'm very sorry his career ended before he was ready. His play has slipped the last 2 years and I thought they might move on but hes an average center and a good leader so I was okay with it.

Seymour for Clay = Both players ended up contributing for Carolina Clay had 50 yds all year- stop it!.....Seymour played special teams but he's the 4th corner

Ragland for 4th = Ragland starting LB in KC Ragland fits their defense but lets take a breath and remember their defense stinks!

Dareus for 5th = Dareus looking great for Jacksonville while we left with dead money Option two is we have the dead money and the dead body had to get out from under it. He's a good little player as a back up on a loaded defense

Signed Rod Streater = Didn't play a snap this year Are you supposed to know who gets hurt, how and how long they will be out before they get on the field?

Signed Boldin = Didn't play a snap this year could have been a good signing as a teacher for young wide outs, thought he was too good for a bad team. These are grown ass men- took a man at his word - he lied that is not on the Bills

Traded a 3rd for Benjamin = Benjamin getting hurt 2nd game here (knees were questioned as soon as trade went down, have always been an issue for him).Your not going to get a Benjamin talent in the third round. Blew his ACL in 2015 knees havent always been a concern his hamstrings have been a little problem. This is a good signing again provided you add an actual NFL passer.

who missed Dareus? Who missed Watkins ? I'll stop there I didn't miss any of them- never thought about them

Benjamin was injured earlier in the yr before we traded for him that should of been a tell tail sign to not trade for him.  Then he he got hurt again vs the Chargers. Benjamin has been hurt more during his career then Sammy and has missed more gms. 

Dareus trade was a mistake they should of given him more time . From what i hear he was coming along fine for us and buying into the culture. Now we're paying 14mil for a good player that's not here anymore. Dareus also needs help he can't led a Dline by himself ntm he played zero tech most of the last few yrs. That position is not stat friendly but it is necessary because they do the dirty work and take on the double teams and clog the middle vs the run. In my opinion Dareus should of been more of a 3 tech with his talents he would get those double digit sk seasons and push the pocket more.  This Wrek fault i was hoping Mcd can realize it.

6 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Benjamin was injured earlier in the yr before we traded for him that should of been a tell tail sign to not trade for him.  Then he he got hurt again vs the Chargers. Benjamin has been hurt more during his career then Sammy and has missed more gms. 

Dareus trade was a mistake they should of given him more time . From what i hear he was coming along fine for us and buying into the culture. Now we're paying 14mil for a good player that's not here anymore. Dareus also needs help he can't led a Dline by himself ntm he played zero tech most of the last few yrs. That position is not stat friendly but it is necessary because they do the dirty work and take on the double teams and clog the middle vs the run. In my opinion Dareus should of been more of a 3 tech with his talents he would get those double digit sk seasons and push the pocket more.  This Wrek fault i was hoping Mcd can realize it.

Don't forget that Matthews also didn't even participate in OTAs due to knee issues and then there were questions if he was healthy during training camp for the Eagles.

He had surgery during this season and then this comes out:

More seriously, Matthews wrote that both of the issues have been bothering him for the last two years and that he’s confident that he’ll make a full recovery from the surgeries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/14/jordan-matthews-had-knee-and-ankle-surgeries/

1 hour ago, CardinalScotts said:

Well done. I couldn't have said it better.

9 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

"Hurt all year"???

He was hurt a few times - OTOH he was tremendous when he played and a key part of the defense that won them enough games to make the playoffs.

Gaines played more, and better, than Darby this year, and the Bills don't trade for him if they don't trade Darby.  Darby was horrible in 2016, didn't fit the scheme, and had an attitude issue. 

6 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I'm pretty sure Hou offered us that trade as well as Cleveland but Mcd choose to make a deal with his buddy Andy Reid instead .

It can not be overstated how much of a bad decision this was.  Hou was going with Savage at QB that alone should of been good enough reason to make that deal with them instead of KC. This decision might cost us our franchise QB and i think it falls on Mcd.

There is no evidence that Houston offered to trade up to the Bills' spot.  That was just BADOL fantasizing.  And if Watson hadn't gotten injured, they'd have been picking after KC.  Hindsight is 20/20.

Everyone keeps saying we made the playoffs because we got rid all those players. I think its unfair to say that especially since all the players we traded all made the playoffs on other teams.. All of them.  I guess they weren't detrimental cancers where they went to play.  

Btw does anybody stop and think for a second that we might of been better with all the players here? That we might of went 11-5 instead of 9-7 .  Everyone seems to make it like those moves were the difference.  We have been a basically 8-8 team these last 4yrs the difference was the injuries in 2015 and 2016 that's what kept out the playoffs.

The Bills had those players and didn't make the playoffs.  And none of them made the Pro Bowl, much less All-Pro.  Sometimes people need to been shown the door to get their asses into gear. 

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

At the end of the day him and Mathews were one year rentals. Not sure how that fits the process narrative. 

My biggest problem with the trades is that I don't feel like we got market value. The trades came out of no where and I don't think Beane drove up enough interest. 

The whole excuse that Darby didn't fit our scheme doesn't matter for his market value. We essentially got a 4th round pick for a starting CB on a super bowl team. That's horrible. 

You could also say that Sammy was a one year rental for the Rams.  If the Bills want to re-sign Gaines and Matthews, they will.  As for Darby, he'll be going into the final year of his contract next year and will be looking for a large extension.  So he may be just a 2-year rental because the Eagles went 7-1 in the 8 games he missed during the season.  

The Bills got (and I'm talking both draft picks and players) the best they could for those players.  And don't get hung up on the "one year rental" thing.  If the Bills choose to re-sign them, they will.  Just like the Rams have to choose to pay Sammy upwards of $12M/year or franchise him.  And you know Darby will be looking for a large extension going into the final year of his deal. 

28 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Don't forget that Matthews also didn't even participate in OTAs due to knee issues and then there were questions if he was healthy during training camp for the Eagles.

He had surgery during this season and then this comes out:

More seriously, Matthews wrote that both of the issues have been bothering him for the last two years and that he’s confident that he’ll make a full recovery from the surgeries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/14/jordan-matthews-had-knee-and-ankle-surgeries/

Matthews was essentially a throw-in in the trade, just like Gaines was in the Sammy trade.  The real trades were for the draft picks, but Beane also needed bodies to replace the traded vets.  He hit on Gaines but missed on Matthews.  

If you read enough posts here, you would have seen people talking about Gaines being a big off season target for Buffalo.  Beane simply accelerated the process as a free option.

58 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I listed his transactions.  Wood was on the list on espn's website.  Is ESPN ignorant for saying Wood was signed to a 2 year extension

I'm confused.

No, but your choice to include Wood on YOUR list was for trying to pin some kind of blame on Beane for the move.

Yes, yes you are confused.

15 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

So you really think Beane was the reason the Bills made the playoffs?

The only person lost that I wish could have stayed was Darby.  

WRT Dareus —  how long before he forgets the spring drug test date again and misses 6 or more games? 

Sammy never lived up to his potential and was also prone to missing games due to injury.  

13 hours ago, Saosin said:

Begin rant. 

15 posts makes you an expert?

do you believe everything you read on the internet?   People like you blindly blame posters w/o thought.  

Do you know that a number of these “morons from BBMB” have already been banned?

Before you trash people blindly look in the mirror.   

Rant over.  

57 minutes ago, GG said:

Matthews was essentially a throw-in in the trade, just like Gaines was in the Sammy trade.  The real trades were for the draft picks, but Beane also needed bodies to replace the traded vets.  He hit on Gaines but missed on Matthews. 

One can't reasonably fault Beane for missing on Matthews.  The guy had been a healthy (had missed just 1 game in his previous 3 years) and productive (about 900 yard and 6 TD per season) player. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

Matthews was essentially a throw-in in the trade, just like Gaines was in the Sammy trade.  The real trades were for the draft picks, but Beane also needed bodies to replace the traded vets.  He hit on Gaines but missed on Matthews

We essentially traded Darby for Kelvin Benjamin, and got Matthews for moving down from pick 85 to pick 95. When you think about it like that it is a more than fair exchange.

Edited by HappyDays

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

15 posts makes you an expert?

do you believe everything you read on the internet?   People like you blindly blame posters w/o thought.  

Do you know that a number of these “morons from BBMB” have already been banned?

Before you trash people blindly look in the mirror.   

Rant over.  

Weird, I don't ever recall referring to myself as an "expert".  I must have also missed the memo that the number of posts that one has on a message board indicates overall knowledge on a topic in life, especially sports.  I can't imagine how many posts Belichick has over on the Patriots message boards.  Apologies that I don't spend the majority of my day posting responses on an internet forum.  I've been here 12 years and browse this website everyday.  Don't get me wrong - I wrote a "douchey" post, and deserved your response; I get where you're coming from overall, and I'll address those issues below, but you're just as guilty as I am for "blindly trashing" people if you're going to just assume that I'm an idiot based upon my post count and one emotional response to what I believed to be a troll topic.

To those that criticized/corrected me politely, I do sincerely apologize.  Obviously I was misinformed about the BBMB posters and if I offended anyone in that regard, I apologize again; it was not my intention and obviously, casually browsing some of these threads gave me some bad information on the BBMB situation.  

Again, my response to the OP was hardly "blind".  The point in my response is that this team had, arguably, its best season in 17 years (with some help from the Bengals).  No, we're not the Patriots so it's certainly rational to question some of the moves that this team has made, I get that.  In conjunction, this IS a message board where people discuss and debate differing opinions on the team, I get that too.  I'm not hating on anyone for questioning things that this team has done (or will do in the future) given our previous track record; but to literally stomp on EVER SINGLE move that a new GM has made when this team makes the playoffs for the first time in 17 years is such an obvious attempt at trolling.  One move, sure - two or three moves, let's discuss - but every single one - including mentioning an Eric Wood's extension when he had a completely undiscovered neck injury until a few days ago?!  Not to mention, numerous other injury issues which are nearly impossible to determine beforehand?  Cmon, that's lunacy, I forgot that Beane was supposed to have a crystal ball.  It's hating on our team just to hate; pure and simple.  I have a lot of pride for what this team accomplished this year and it feels good to be a Bills fan again. 

CardinalScotts' reply was absolutely perfect, and like another poster said above, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Obviously my response wasn't productive in any sense, so (based upon my own rationale) I'm just as guilty as the OP for trolling and polluting the board - and for that I do apologize again, not my intention - I come here for the football talk and knowledge that nearly all of you provide, not to take people down.  The original post just really pushed my buttons and sent me over the edge at the time, stupid to reply the way that I did on my part.  I truly am sorry for any of those that I did offend with my mis-information.

Back to football talk...

Edited by Saosin
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

At the end of the day him and Mathews were one year rentals. Not sure how that fits the process narrative. 

My biggest problem with the trades is that I don't feel like we got market value. The trades came out of no where and I don't think Beane drove up enough interest. 

The whole excuse that Darby didn't fit our scheme doesn't matter for his market value. We essentially got a 4th round pick for a starting CB on a super bowl team. That's horrible. 

I don't think Gaines is necessarily a 1 year rental. I don't think Darby would have fitted this scheme and it was a 3rd not a 4th. 

I love the job Mcd and Frazier did with the D. But no matter what that offense was not a winning combination.  From the time they hired Dennison anyone with any football acumen can tell u Tyrod did not fit his offense. Tyrod is not a pro style QB the wco is not suitable to Tyrod strength.  This was just first of many baffling decisions they made on the offensive side of the ball. 

So u say fit but these guys kept the guy that's supposed to fit the most the QB. Not only that they brought in Wrs that don't cater to they're QB strengths either.  The offense as a whole was a cluster **** . Maybe that should of been the nickname of this offense.  My point is the offense was not built correctly from the beginning and we were damn lucky to make the playoffs.  More lucky then good.  Hopefully Mcd learned his lesson from this and brings in the pieces nessesary to build a offense that can have consistent sustainable success. 

Which is why Dennison got fired before the plane that brought the team home from Jacksonville had even turned off its engine.

A couple of comments on your posts here

You are upset that we didnt make the proper trade and take a qb.....but your not talking about the fact that they traded down all the way to the end of the 1st and got what arguabley was the best corner in this draft (yes Lattimore is getting all the kudos....but Tre has been statistically better) AND they picked up the additonal first round pick this year.

QB may be the most important position on the field...but right behind it is cornerback and you need look no further then watch how Gilmore was paid in free agency.....Tre OUTPLAYED Stephon Gilmore this year and it was his rookie season.....he is just gonna continue to get better AND he has the makeup of a football player that this team likes.

2nd we did not make the playoffs this year because we jettisoned high salary star players......we did it in SPITE OF doing that and accumulated draft capital and cap space.  The team is REBIULDING the fact that they actually found a way to even make the playoffs this year is amazing and yes....Bean deserves some credit for that.

5 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

a - How do YOU know what the market was

and

b - Gaines is only a one year rental if we dont resign him lets keep in mind that this team is pretty good on cap space going into this offseason.