Cleveland and the #1 and #4 picks.

xxxxxxxx

7 hours ago, simool said:

It is pretty much common knowledge that they are going to take Barkley 1st.

A quick survey of the last twenty mock drafts on the Walterfootball database shows 4 of them have Saquon Barkley going to the Browns with the first pick.  Sixteen mocks have them picking a QB.  It is possible that Cleveland will pick Barkley, and that could be good for the Bills' QB hopes, and it might even be the right pick, but among media types and fans alike it most assuredly is not common knowledge that they are picking Barkley.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

A quick survey of the last twenty mock drafts on the Walterfootball database shows 4 of them have Saquon Barkley going to the Browns with the first pick.  Sixteen mocks have them picking a QB.  It is possible that Cleveland will pick Barkley, and that could be good for the Bills' QB hopes, and it might even be the right pick, but among media types and fans alike it most assuredly is not common knowledge that they are picking Barkley.

Mocks are just that, mocks.  Take the time to read the rest of the thread.

1 minute ago, simool said:

Mocks are just that, mocks.  Take the time to read the rest of the thread.

Absolutely, but they still represent what their authors think will happen, and that disproves your original post, that everybody knows the Browns are going to pick Barkley.  Dorsey hasn't tipped his hand yet, and unless somebody has inside info, nobody's going to know for sure until he does.

13 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Simple rules for NFL success:

1) Don't take franchise players because they will be expensive and want to leave.

2) Don't win games against the other conference because they don't help with playoff tiebreakers.

Hey, don't laugh, this is how Cleveland got to be in such a position of power in this draft.

Barkley #1......will give Colts whatever it takes to switch places.....QB #3.....Browns can outbid anyone for the #3 slot and Indy would be idiots not to start a bidding war for #3, drive up the price then move down 1 spot and still get their guy plus addition picks

Image Barkley and either Rosen or Darnold to start the draft

jmo

Edited by Bob&Doug

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Why would you be concerned about something so far in to the future? A lot will happen in 5 years...salary cap increases....

Because alot of teams with franchise QBs are cap poor and the NFL is trending that way. Look at Detroit, for example. Arguably, they would better of getting two solid 10-15 year starters at positions where the talent drop off is steeper than 1 pro bowl rb who might walk after his rookie confract is up, when starting  rbs can be had much later.

57 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

now find quality players who want to play there

They now have a solid front office. If they hit on the 1 and 4 picks it really wouldn't take much to change the culture. 

Put it like this, a guy like Le'von Bell. Wants to get paid and paid huge. If he were to reach the FA market they have the money and the chance to play the Steelers twice a year which would certainly appeal to Bell. He would sign. Or a guy like Jarvis Landry. Yea, he's a dirty player and I detest him. But the guy is a talent. And is looking to get paid.  He could easily sign with a team like Cleveland. 

Could include Cousins in on that. He's a guy that is looking for a huge payday. Could get that there if he reaches FA. Now, I'm certainly not saying the Brows would go after and sign all 3, but they have the funds to pay and pay big.

QB: Cousins

RB: Bell

WR 1: Landry

WR 2: Gordon/Coleman

Pretty enticing for other FAs to be a part of that. As I said, wouldn't take much and they have more than enough cap.

19 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Come on man. No way they'll take two QBs with as much help as they need all over the roster. 

Not much different than taking a QB at #1 & then trading #4 for picks. Taking a QB also at #4 & trading him for picks would be mostly the same as trading the #4 pick.

But, why do that when you can just trade the pick.

1 minute ago, billykay said:

Not much different than taking a QB at #1 & then trading #4 for picks. Taking a QB also at #4 & trading him for picks would be mostly the same as trading the #4 pick.

But, why do that when you can just trade the pick.

:mellow: It's completely different. 

They have already accumulated plenty of picks. It's time to acquire players to rebuild their roster.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:mellow: It's completely different. 

They have already accumulated plenty of picks. It's time to acquire players to rebuild their roster.

I agree with you, 26. I was only commenting that taking 2 QBs and trading one isn't much different than taking one & trading the 2nd pick.

7 minutes ago, billykay said:

I agree with you, 26. I was only commenting that taking 2 QBs and trading one isn't much different than taking one & trading the 2nd pick.

I don't believe they can afford to do that with the state of their franchise.  They have a lot of cap space in addition to premium picks that they need to hit on to make their team competitive as soon as possible. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't believe they can afford to do that with the state of their franchise.  They have a lot of cap space in addition to premium picks that they need to hit on to make their team competitive as soon as possible. 

Also with Dorsey stepping in as GM, he might not trade out of those picks. He might want to start winning now and take a QB and BPA at 4.

He has not loyalty to Kizer or the previous regime. Hes basically walking into a buffet of draft picks.

2 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Also with Dorsey stepping in as GM, he might not trade out of those picks. He might want to start winning now and take a QB and BPA at 4.

He has not loyalty to Kizer or the previous regime. Hes basically walking into a buffet of draft picks.

That makes the most sense to me.

1 hour ago, billykay said:

The big difference is that teams’ rookie caps are based on the actual slots they pick at.  Say the Browns picked Darnold or Rosen at 1, then Allen or Mayfield at 4 before trading him to a team picking much later in the first.  The Browns would have a much larger rookie pool than they needed (no real problem there), but the team trading up would have some real difficulties with that QB’s contract.  They couldn’t pay him like the 4th overall pick because of the rules for rookie pools and rookie contracts.  Thus it would be prohibitively difficult for a team to make a big trade for a player already drafted by a team.  The Browns only trading partners would be the team’s with the next 2 or 3 picks. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Browns plan is to add a vet and take a QB at 1 unless they find a FQB in free agency.  I can’t imagine that they think Cousins is such a player, but you never know.......