Cleveland and the #1 and #4 picks.

xxxxxxxx

5 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Retain. As in sign them to longterm deals, after 5 years is up.

And this is just hypothetical, but say they actually get their franchise QB at 1, then would there not be a major incentive to trade out of 4, maybe at a cheaper price.

16 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Cleveland takes Darnold #1 and I think there is a chance Barkley is there at #4. Best case scenario for Cleveland.

I get the logic, but doubt they could keep both long-term if (and its a big if) both picks pan out. Best case scenario might be to swap 4 for 20 and 21.

46 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

If Cleveland believes any of the QB's are head and shoulders above the others, they MUST take them with the #1 pick.  Kizer was a dumpster fire and the possibility of 2 QB's coming off the board between 1 and 4 is just too much. 

But if you had Rosen, Darnold and Allen rated close to each other -- which would be the Clevelandy thing to do -- you'd be satisfied taking Barkley #1 and whichever of the three is left at #4.

As for the cost of re-signing, they won't have to worry about that for 4 or 5 years.

25 minutes ago, simool said:

Joe Thomas was the first one I heard mention it, but more along the lines of if he was drafting.

Then earlier this week a reporter from the orange and brown report filed a report from the senior bowl which said as much. https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Browns-make-the-hiring-of-Todd-Haley-as-offensive-coordinator-Amos-Jones-as-special-teams-coordinator-and-Freddie-Kitchens-as-running-backs-coachassociate-head-coach-official-114145188

I have read it a couple of other places I will try to dig up and post back for you.

The discussion I heard was on FM 100.5 here and it was the Homer True show.

There's nothing in that article that says anything about NOT taking quarterback.  Hiring an OC, ST, and RB coach doesn't mean a thing in the context of the draft.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's a deep RB class and they can get a good one in later rounds, but their top priority as a franchise is to secure a QB as stated by Haslam and Dorsey. 

True, you don't need to pick a RB first.  I'd also think about whether I need to replace Joe Thomas.

1 minute ago, Ennjay said:

But if you had Rosen, Darnold and Allen rated close to each other -- which would be the Clevelandy thing to do -- you'd be satisfied taking Barkley #1 and whichever of the three is left at #4.

As for the cost of re-signing, they won't have to worry about that for 4 or 5 years.

I doubt they have three QB's ranked identical, but it would be typical Cleveland dumbassery to pass on a guy that becomes a franchise QB in order to draft the third best QB that turns out to be the next big flop.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I remember when my dad called us all into the living room.  The Bills had just won the AFC Championship in '92.  He said "I want a divorce."  I got 2 Christmases for a while.

Thank you! Not relevant, but funny.

19 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

But if you had Rosen, Darnold and Allen rated close to each other -- which would be the Clevelandy thing to do --

How do you arrive at this conclusion?   Does Cleveland have a history of rating guys close to each other?

31 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

There's nothing in that article that says anything about NOT taking quarterback.  Hiring an OC, ST, and RB coach doesn't mean a thing in the context of the draft.

Crap sorry man I pasted the wrong friggin link somehow. FFS

Here it is https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Would-John-Dorsey-take-the-best-available-player-and-possibly-pass-up-the-quarterback-at-number-one-114144681

OBR insider Tony Pauline, who's at the Senior Bowl posted this in Rumor Central Wednesday.

"If the draft were held today the Browns would select Saquon Barkley with the first pick then see what fell to them at pick number four. They believe Barkley is a difference maker."

Dorsey was asked at the Senior Bowl if he would consider taking Josh Rosen with the first pick, even if he didn't want to come to the Browns.

"That's a hypothetical because I always take the best available player," Dorsey said. "If it was there and we as an organization felt comfortable that we were gonna select him, we'd select him.

"That's how that works."

Edited by simool

1 hour ago, MURPHD6 said:

I get the logic, but doubt they could keep both long-term if (and its a big if) both picks pan out. Best case scenario might be to swap 4 for 20 and 21.

Winning cures everything. If Darnold and Barkley are successful, probably means Cleveland is in the playoffs. I can't think of two positions that can take over a game more than QB and RB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Winning cures everything. If Darnold and Barkley are successful, probably means Cleveland is in the playoffs. I can't think of two positions that can take over a game more than QB and RB.

Yes sir.

Anyone thinking that the Buffalo Bills are in a position to trade with Cleveland for the 4th I think are fooling themselves.

Cleveland is not selling this year, they are buying.

They have too many top 65 picks already, they are not going to go out and look for more.

They may trade the 4th to Denver of NYJ but the farthest they would go down the board (for teams wanting a QB) would be Washington.

They have 7 picks in the top 100.

25 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes sir.

Anyone thinking that the Buffalo Bills are in a position to trade with Cleveland for the 4th I think are fooling themselves.

Cleveland is not selling this year, they are buying.

They have too many top 65 picks already, they are not going to go out and look for more.

They may trade the 4th to Denver of NYJ but the farthest they would go down the board (for teams wanting a QB) would be Washington.

They have 7 picks in the top 100.

Given that they have been moneyballing their rebuild, I wouldn't put it past them.