Cleveland and the #1 and #4 picks.

xxxxxxxx

1 minute ago, MURPHD6 said:

How can Cleveland draft a quarterback overall at 1, and expect to retain said player (if they become a franchise guy), Myles Garrett, and whomever is BPA at 4? Maybe they are the most logical trade partner?

It is pretty much common knowledge that they are going to take Barkley 1st.

They will use their #1 pick as a pick, for sure.

#4 may be available, may not be available.

Should be a really interesting draft.  

PS:  The entire structure of the draft is going to be dictated by what Cleveland does.  Everything will slot in behind their decisions like dominoes.

Edited by Fadingpain

7 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

How can Cleveland draft a quarterback overall at 1, and expect to retain said player (if they become a franchise guy), Myles Garrett, and whomever is BPA at 4? Maybe they are the most logical trade partner?

You shouldn't draft guys that you think will be franchise type players because they will leave??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You shouldn't draft guys that you think will be franchise type players because they will leave??? 

Simple rules for NFL success:

1) Don't take franchise players because they will be expensive and want to leave.

2) Don't win games against the other conference because they don't help with playoff tiebreakers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Simple rules for NFL success:

1) Don't take franchise players because they will be expensive and want to leave.

2) Don't win games against the other conference because they don't help with playoff tiebreakers.

Pretty sure that has been the strategy in Cleveland for a while.  Lose games.  Draft high.  Trade out of high draft picks and accumulate marginal NFL talent that can be retained cheaply.  Rinse, wash, repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It is?

Okay maybe I over embellished there, no one really knows except Dorsey.

I have read a couple of reputable sources speculating on it in the last day or so. Listening to a local radio show that has been around as long as I have been in Wisconsin, brought me around to this line of thinking. The host believes Dorsey is going to draft the best player in the draft and a majority of people feel it is Barkley.  He felt Cleveland was content taking a QB at 4. 

At first I was like there is no way they are going to miss out on Rosen or Darnold.  But listening a bit longer, he implied that Dorsey likes a different QB and that Darnold and Rosen both have flaws.  Barkley has no flaws.  He knows Dorsey and has good inside Packers information. It is the scenario that seems to make the most sense to me right now.

2 minutes ago, simool said:

Okay maybe I over embellished there, no one really knows except Dorsey.

I have read a couple of reputable sources speculating on it in the last day or so. Listening to a local radio show that has been around as long as I have been in Wisconsin, brought me around to this line of thinking. The host believes Dorsey is going to draft the best player in the draft and a majority of people feel it is Barkley.  He felt Cleveland was content taking a QB at 4. 

At first I was like there is no way they are going to miss out on Rosen or Darnold.  But listening a bit longer, he implied that Dorsey likes a different QB and that Darnold and Rosen both have flaws.  Barkley has no flaws.  He knows Dorsey and has good inside Packers information. It is the scenario that seems to make the most sense to me right now.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

After passing on Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Watson,  and Mahomes the past two drafts, they better not get cute and instead just take who they see as the best QB prospect in '18. 

My thoughts on the matter.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

My thoughts on the matter.

Yeah definitely some logic there, but Dorsey did not pass on those guys and none of those guys are Darnold or Rosen.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Streaker said:

I would sit and watch those games with my dad. I was in my early teens. I’d get so discouraged when the Bills would be losing late. He’d always say, “Don’t worry kid, they’re  a fourth quarter team.” He was right.

I remember when my dad called us all into the living room.  The Bills had just won the AFC Championship in '92.  He said "I want a divorce."  I got 2 Christmases for a while.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Come on man. No way they'll take two QBs with as much help as they need all over the roster. 

No, of course they wont.  But when the franchise as it stands has literally never had a starting QB, it might be worth it to invest in it.  They're at least a year out from competing - you get a full year with both of them and trade the extra piece a year later to a team for a 1st and change. 

Yes - its not maximizing your assets.   Just looking at it from the perspective of the parade of terrible players they've had since tim couch... and how its corresponded to being the worst team in the league for an absurdly long time.