Mike Gesicki TE Penn State

buffaloboyinATL

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Been watching him since HS, he was aggressively recruited by Ohio State.. then Hated playing against him at penn State. Great pass catcher, terrible blocker. I would love to have him on the Bills tho

Our rookie qb, Mayfield, prefers throwing to Andrews. :)

On 1/25/2018 at 4:45 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Been watching him since HS, he was aggressively recruited by Ohio State.. then Hated playing against him at penn State. Great pass catcher, terrible blocker. I would love to have him on the Bills tho

Sounds like a  Scott Chandler?

Man this kid is going to be awesome. I would love to draft him in the second round. He reminds me of Kelce in KC. If he could block he would be a first round pick. He is going to be a matchup nightmare, I can live with the limited blocking potential. I can't see safeties or LBs being able to cover this guy out of the slot. 

Edited by billspro

Can certainly help out a QB but this class has a lot of TEs that are really good.  I don't think he is the best of them.  TE class is a deep one this year and with Clay being smaller and having a down year last year, I'd be up for drafting one and saying goodbye to Clay's contract next soon.  I don't think it is a need at the moment but a young TE to pair with a rookie QB isn't a bad idea.  Also, why not pick from one of the positions of strength in the class?

7 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Maybe it's the fact that he's a bit of a dad runner but I thought he'd be lucky to crack 4.70.

Not too shocked about the explosion drills but a better class of athlete than I gave him credit for.

Same here. I wasn't seeing this athleticism on the field. I think Mark Andrews played better and is an excellent route runner.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is he Devin Funchess 2.0?

I don't trust him as an inline blocker and he's proven athletic enough to be considered a 'big slot' like Funchess. Why not try to isolate him on a sub 6-foot nickel CB and let him bully them?

Auden Tate might be another in that bracket.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Same here. I wasn't seeing this athleticism on the field. I think Mark Andrews played better and is an excellent route runner.

Andrews' 3-cone was a major disappointment for me. I think he's way more agile than that on the field. Not too many 250lb+ guys that can sink and break on routes like he can. I think he's what many people wanted Jace Amaro to be.

7 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I don't trust him as an inline blocker and he's proven athletic enough to be considered a 'big slot' like Funchess. Why not try to isolate him on a sub 6-foot nickel CB and let him bully them?

Auden Tate might be another in that bracket.

Andrews' 3-cone was a major disappointment for me. I think he's way more agile than that on the field. Not too many 250lb+ guys that can sink and break on routes like he can. I think he's what many people wanted Jace Amaro to be.

All these drills are nice but Andrews tape is legit, best route runner in the draft.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:26 PM, JimBob2232 said:

Gesicki is going to be a good one.  I fear he goes to the Pats.  He can be a gronk replacement.  Sure, not the best blocker, but he has great hands, and is a real game-changer for a young qb.

There's a handful of really talented tight ends in this class.  He isn't the best talent of the group IMO.  

On 3/4/2018 at 4:49 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Shouldn't take much to get better at it.

A lot of coaches and scouts say that if you are a good athlete with decent size for a tight end that to be a decent blocker is mostly a matter of will power. Most NFL caliber coaching staff can coach up these players on the techniques and fundamentals of blocking. But the player has to be focused on it and willing to improve their blocking. The NBA has a similar issue with uber-athletic players with high levels of offensive skill not being good defenders because they just aren't as locked into the defensive end. 

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

A lot of coaches and scouts say that if you are a good athlete with decent size for a tight end that to be a decent blocker is mostly a matter of will power. Most NFL caliber coaching staff can coach up these players on the techniques and fundamentals of blocking. But the player has to be focused on it and willing to improve their blocking. The NBA has a similar issue with uber-athletic players with high levels of offensive skill not being good defenders because they just aren't as locked into the defensive end. 

Hopefully , he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who wouldnt work on it. He was in a spread so maybe blocking wasn't really worked on.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The criteria that I've used the past few years is that I'll give a TE a pass grade on blocking if he tries. Some guys might lack power, some might lack technique but just give it a whirl.

Gesicki is one of those that does try, even if he's pretty useless at it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.