2018 Draft Prospects Who Have Met with the Bills - Pre-Draft Visits are Done

Gotta admit that Mayfield is starting to grow on me a bit. I was pondering a lot of great points people have made on here and watching practices and going back and watching some more of his games and I'm starting to come around a bit. I'm getting to the point that I'd be okay with any of the top 4. I really want Rosen or Darnold, but I'm coming around a bit. 

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

I'd take Baker Mayfield in a heart beat if we could get our hands on him. He's a stylistic cross between Drew Brees and Russell Wilson IMHO.

And Colt McCoy and Aaron Murray. Hard to tell with these QBs. 

But yeah, sign me up. You can't score if you don't shoot. You know what I mean. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As I alluded to in the college football forum, the best quote from that article was, “If you can see the guy open, you’re late. You have to anticipate it.” Such a simple concept and yet the hardest for QBs to understand. 

• Like (+1) 1

On January 24, 2018 at 9:36 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not opposed to starting a guy day 1... I think it just shows that if you're going to draft a guy, he should be ready or it's not worth it.

I disagree with this part of your post.  Very few rookie QBs are really ready to start as rookies, let alone game 1.  Think of run-of-the-mill new entry level employees at everyday jobs - even if they have lots of education from college, they have little practical experience in the "real world".  Beyond that, they have no idea of the details of how your specific company does things.

if a rookie QB is not ready to start when they walk in the building, I don't think it diminishes their long-term potential in any way.  There may be a number of reasons that a rookie isn't ready to start, among them:

- not fully physically developed - these are YOUNG guys, especially underclasssmen.

- lack of experience: some of these guys have only started 1 or 2 seasons at the college level.

- completely new offense to learn: even if they played a "pro-style" offense in college, their NFL team is likely running a different scheme with different players with all different terminology.

- Not many veteran teammates are going to be excited about suffering through a rookie's growing pains

Look back at Jim Kelly - he really wasn't ready to play as a rookie and he had played 2 years of pro ball in the USFL.  Troy Aikman was awful as a rookie.  

Now, we can debate whether the benefits of playing (and struggling) as a rookie outweigh the potential damage to confidence and credibility among teammates.

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If we want him we're definitely going to have to make a damn move.  Didn't think the Phins would be major players in the QB market.  I knew the Jets would.  But this is good.  It gives us some indication of who teams are talking too and who they are not talking to.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no way they take Baker without meeting him and interviewing him in depth (to be honest even leaving his at times questionable behaviour aside I think that probably holds true for anyone you believe is going to be your franchise Quarterback).  Nothing to panic about at this stage though... they get another chance to speak to him at the Combine and the opportunity to bring him in on a visit.  The Senior Bowl interviews are only 15 minutes anyway.  The Bills may well feel Mayfield is the kind of guys who requires a longer sitdown.  

Obviously

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks had the chance to speak with some of the most successful general managers and coaches in the NFL from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama. The guys asked Texanscoach Bill O'Brien (3:27), Broncos coach Vance Joseph (6:39) and Falcons coach Dan Quinn (10:40) about what they like to look for in a quarterback. DJ and Bucky also sat down with Chargers GM Tom Telesco (14:29), Bills GM Brandon Beane (16:59) and Rams GM Les Snead (20:04) to take you inside their strategy scouting the top talent at the Senior Bowl.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Draft Prospects Who Have Met with the Bills
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 2018 Draft Prospects Who Have Met with the Bills
On 1/23/2018 at 2:29 PM, Jamie Nails said:

Is dude still an active member of board? The McCoy call was a big whammy. 

I take comfort in this...I (try to) take comfort in this.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:31 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

no meeting with Baker?

? it was right there "According to Robert Klemko of Sports Illustrated, the Bills met 'at length' with Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield"

46 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fairburn says the Bills met with Kolton Miller. Could be a nice fit as a right tackle. He also played with Josh Rosen for three years, so he could definitely give some insight into his character and events over the last few years. 

56 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I like the list.  It's offense focused for sure.  I cannot argue with any of it.  We need a QB.  We need OL and we need another HB.  I like the guys we are meeting with even if some of them are just to find out about other players we are interested in.