2018 Draft Prospects Who Have Met with the Bills - Pre-Draft Visits are Done

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen I would say 2 full seasons on the bench.  The more I've read about him, he's a really raw guy.

I tend to agree. The only reason that i said a half season is that if you get Allen you likely had to trade up. If the Bills trade up for a QB and are running some bridge QB out there the pressure will mount to play him. It’s not necessarily right but KC fans were screaming for Mahomes and they had Smith playing at a Pro Bowl level. Imagine what Buffalo will look like?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree. The only reason that i said a half season is that if you get Allen you likely had to trade up. If the Bills trade up for a QB and are running some bridge QB out there the pressure will mount to play him. It’s not necessarily right but KC fans were screaming for Mahomes and they had Smith playing at a Pro Bowl level. Imagine what Buffalo will look like?

I have no idea what we're going to do with the QB situation.  I thought a Mayfield or Rudolph would be attainable about a month ago but now it looks like we would have to trade up for them as well.  I'm getting a sinking feeling that we just may not address QB this year and go with an Alex Smith/Sam Bradford for 2 years and make the aggressive move next year in the draft.  

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They will meet with everyone and do their homework. they met with all of the quarterbacks last year as well and didn't like the top guys so took a flyer on Peterman late. 

Based on Beane's comments, if they feel Allen, Darnold, Rosen are top five guys they will move up. I think he feels we have the ammo to do it, but know it's a very steep price. 

I think they will realize that after those guys, there is no one in this draft worth 21, 22 and will wind up waiting until the fourth round to draft a guy like Mike White as a developmental guy. 

That's just my opinion. This regime is looking for a franchise altering long term quarterback who can win from the pocket. That is probably Allen, Darnold, Rosen. If they feel like those guys are the real deal they will make a move. Say what you want about Allen, but he gives the team that kind of hope. After that it's just throwing darts at the wall and drafting another Peterman. Maybe you get lucky and draft the next Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins, but you can't bank on that working. It is much more likely that this team's future franchise quarterback will come out of the top 5 of the draft. Maybe not this year, but at some point.  

This is very important.  They have to feel that these guys are not just top QB's.  They have to feel that they are top five guys in the draft.  That dampens things IMO.  I'm not saying they won't make a move it'll just be how they grade the players but when start thinking about other guys (Roquan Smith; OL players, DL players) and these QBs together that's where the don't get your hopes up for a move up comes in.  They are going to evaluate each player and give them a number on their board.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They will meet with everyone and do their homework. they met with all of the quarterbacks last year as well and didn't like the top guys so took a flyer on Peterman late. 

Based on Beane's comments, if they feel Allen, Darnold, Rosen are top five guys they will move up. I think he feels we have the ammo to do it, but know it's a very steep price. 

I think they will realize that after those guys, there is no one in this draft worth 21, 22 and will wind up waiting until the fourth round to draft a guy like Mike White as a developmental guy. 

That's just my opinion. This regime is looking for a franchise altering long term quarterback who can win from the pocket. That is probably Allen, Darnold, Rosen. If they feel like those guys are the real deal they will make a move. Say what you want about Allen, but he gives the team that kind of hope. After that it's just throwing darts at the wall and drafting another Peterman. Maybe you get lucky and draft the next Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins, but you can't bank on that working. It is much more likely that this team's future franchise quarterback will come out of the top 5 of the draft. Maybe not this year, but at some point.  

This is just a pure guess based on feeling....I think the one guy they think is the man is Darnold.

Cleveland #1 overall would take a Brinks truck of draft picks.  #21, #22 and next years 1 with probably at least 3rd as well?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is just a pure guess based on feeling....I think the one guy they think is the man is Darnold.

Cleveland #1 overall would take a Brinks truck of draft picks.  #21, #22 and next years 1 with probably at least 3rd as well?

I lean this way as well. he seems to have everything they look for with none of the off field stuff, and he is a high end prospect. My gut, based on pure guess as well, Cleveland takes Allen, Giants take Rosen, we trade up to 3 for Darnold. A trade down make a ton of sense for the Colts. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I lean this way as well. he seems to have everything they look for with none of the off field stuff, and he is a high end prospect. My gut, based on pure guess as well, Cleveland takes Allen, Giants take Rosen, we trade up to 3 for Darnold. A trade down make a ton of sense for the Colts. 

Are you thinking that Allen will just knock it out of the park at the Senior Bowl and combine to elevate him?  Or do you think Allen right now based on potential is high on Cleveland's draft board?

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you thinking that Allen will just knock it out of the park at the Senior Bowl and combine to elevate him?  Or do you think Allen right now based on potential is high on Cleveland's draft board?

It's pretty much consensus at this point that Allen is a top 5-10 prospect, with Mel Kiper even having him as the #1 pick right now. Allen is going to come across well in the interviews and his physical tools will continue to wow scouts even if the accuracy/footwork isn't there yet. He's certainly in the conversation to be the 1st QB taken.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I figure he's just really high on their board at the moment and seems like a great fit for them. The things that Hue and Haley are probably going to want to do, and they have a good amount of deep speed at the receiver spot. I don't think they will touch Rosen for a lot of reasons, and I think they will pick Allen's physical potential over Darnold. It's so early, but it is fun to anticipate. at this time. 

Maybe the just take Barkley 1 and take whichever QB is left at 4? Or maybe they stick with DeShone Kizer who has amazing physical talent and did some good things towards the end of the year. Or perhaps they make McCarron their guy. But the whispers about Cleveland taking Allen #1 make sense, even going back to Adam Schefter's report last season about him going #1.  It could be the the industry decided Allen was going to be #1 regardless of what he did in college this year. 

Allen had a bad showing at yesterday's practice. He was throwing the ball all over the place. Let's see how he does today. If he continues like this he might play his way out of the top 10, at which point it would be much more likely for us to trade up if he drops that far. Trading 21 and 22 can get us a pick in the 6-10 range but as Beane said you have to also find a team that's willing to do that deal and sometimes they ask for stupid high prices that just aren't reasonable if they know you are desperate

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Senior bowl and Combne are not going to really change his evaluations.  Imo he has generation arm like Rodgers, Stafford, Marino, Farve.  He is a major reason why Wyoming had its first back to back winning seasons in 30 years.  Senior bowl and combine will be on interviews and his dedication to football.  I think he will do as well as anyone.  Big, strong arm Qb makes alot of sense for Cleveland and that division.  

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I figure he's just really high on their board at the moment and seems like a great fit for them. The things that Hue and Haley are probably going to want to do, and they have a good amount of deep speed at the receiver spot. I don't think they will touch Rosen for a lot of reasons, and I think they will pick Allen's physical potential over Darnold. It's so early, but it is fun to anticipate. at this time. 

Maybe the just take Barkley 1 and take whichever QB is left at 4? Or maybe they stick with DeShone Kizer who has amazing physical talent and did some good things towards the end of the year. Or perhaps they make McCarron their guy. But the whispers about Cleveland taking Allen #1 make sense, even going back to Adam Schefter's report last season about him going #1.  It could be the the industry decided Allen was going to be #1 regardless of what he did in college this year. 

I believe Haslam (correct me if I'm wrong) stated Dorsey's main responsibility is finding the franchise QB.  That makes me think that the Browns Brass doesn't feel that strongly about Kizer.

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The Senior bowl and Combne are not going to really change his evaluations.  Imo he has generation arm like Rodgers, Stafford, Marino, Farve.  He is a major reason why Wyoming had its first back to back winning seasons in 30 years.  Senior bowl and combine will be on interviews and his dedication to football.  I think he will do as well as anyone.  Big, strong arm Qb makes alot of sense for Cleveland and that division.  

I figured the production might have killed Allen's chances at going #1 but looks like he's still in play.

The more I see of Josh Allen the more I am convinced he needs to sit and watch for a couple of years, and even then I think its a long shot.   The odds are against every quarterback coming out of college, and not just players from a spread offense.  I think the success rate is somewhere around 30% for all quarterbacks drafted.  When I watch Allen I see Deshone Kizer and EJ Manuel.   Players with all the physical tools who just arent accurate enough to be big game guys. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have no idea what we're going to do with the QB situation.  I thought a Mayfield or Rudolph would be attainable about a month ago but now it looks like we would have to trade up for them as well.  I'm getting a sinking feeling that we just may not address QB this year and go with an Alex Smith/Sam Bradford for 2 years and make the aggressive move next year in the draft.  

I think that it’s possible. In my head I think that they make a run at Cousins but ultimately don’t get him.

If they get him though it makes life easier. He isn’t a franchise savior but he is the quickest path to filling out the roster. They will still have over $20M in cap space (or more) and all of their draft picks. Here’s a potential situation:

FA:

- Cousins

- Paul Richardson

- Gaines

- Bradham

- Isaiah Crowell

- Alex Okafor

- Kyle

Draft:

- Trade 21 and 56 to move up for Roquan Smith

- Hurst or Via at 22

- Will Hernandez at 53

- Pettis in the 3rd

- CB in the 4th

- BPA with the picks in the 5th

That is a bit utopian but not totally unrealistic IMO. I expect the Bills to have $50M (ish) in cap space. That team is much improved IMO.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it’s possible. In my head I think that they make a run at Cousins but ultimately don’t get him.

If they get him though it makes life easier. He isn’t a franchise savior but he is the quickest path to filling out the roster. They will still have over $20M in cap space (or more) and all of their draft picks. Here’s a potential situation:

FA:

- Cousins

- Paul Richardson

- Gaines

- Bradham

- Isaiah Crowell

- Alex Okafor

- Kyle

Draft:

- Trade 21 and 56 to move up for Roquan Smith

- Hurst or Via at 22

- Will Hernandez at 53

- Pettis in the 3rd

- CB in the 4th

- BPA with the picks in the 5th

That is a bit utopian but not totally unrealistic IMO. I expect the Bills to have $50M (ish) in cap space. That team is much improved IMO.

Hurst intrigues me.  He's an undersized DT but man he's fast off the ball.  We need pass rush help badly and he provides that in the middle.  If we do get Hurst, I would expect us to get a bigger body DT later in the draft or in FA.  I'd also like another edge rusher as well.

I'm just not sure if this regime wants to trade up for a non-QB but certainly would love Roquan Smith.  

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I cant see the Bills giving $100M to Cousins as that's what hes going to demand

Neither can I as that IMO does not align with Beane's vision with regard to building a roster for long term viability as a perennial playoff contender. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Hurst intrigues me.  He's an undersized DT but man he's fast off the ball.  We need pass rush help badly and he provides that in the middle.  If we do get Hurst, I would expect us to get a bigger body DT later in the draft or in FA.  I'd also like another edge rusher as well.

I'm just not sure if this regime wants to trade up for a non-QB but certainly would love Roquan Smith.  

Supposedly they are enamored with Roquan. That is actually my reasoning. I am a big fan of his but apparently they are just in love.

In terms of pass rush they absolutely need an upgrade. You can’t have 27 sacks on the year. I thought that Okafor was a good high upside swing. He was off to a great start before getting hurt. He could play opposite Hughes in passing situations. The addition of someone like Hurst will help too. It isn’t the perfect answer but those additions will add to the rush. You’d also have a LB group of Milano, Roquan and Bradham so your coverage would be even better. You can use Lorax in pass rushing situations too.