2018 Draft Prospects Who Have Met with the Bills - Pre-Draft Visits are Done

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t disagree agree that he is a season or two away from being really ready, but that for sure does not disqualify him for the Bills, in my opinion.  

First, the Bills are a far more than a QB away from being serious contenders.  Second, none of these QBs is going to walk in year 1 and lead a modestly talented (at best) Bills team to the Super Bowl.

For sure, if they think that they can trade up and get a QB who will be very good for 10 years, then by all means do so.  BUT, don’t thinks that

1- they don’t have a LOT of other holes that will not be filled exclusively in FA.

2- most, maybe alll of these QBs are more likely to be “ok” rather than great.  Who thinks any of these guys will be better than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger in year one?

For me, I couldn’t care less whether the QB prospect is ready to play year one.  I think it is unlikely that any of these guys will be truly ready to do that.  What I want/hope for is a QB prospect who has a chance to be a top 10 QB in the league eventually when the rest of the team is built around him.

Many said the same about Watson and he lit up the league before his rookie season was up. Carolina played Cam right out of the gate.

Use that wasted bridge Tyrod money on other positions and start the rookie after a few games into the season. This is a much better QB  class then you think, in fact IMO this team is very good considering how they carried a bad QB all season.

So IMO we might not be a QB away from the SB but IMO we are a QB away from getting another wild card, maybe this time we can get one without another teams help like we had to with the not good enough overpriced 18mill Tyrod.

The days of waiting around for years for a  QB to develop are gone unless you are working with a late round project, 1st rounders start year one the majority of the time. Hell even Tannahill started his first year. Kizer a late rounder started late his rookie season, Dak also played his rookie season. 

A team does not move up that far in the draft to take a top 1st round QB to sit around for 2 years

Edited by xRUSHx

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Them meeting with every other QB (sans Lauletta and Tanner Lee) makes me feel better about them meeting with Rudolph. I'm just so concerned they'll take Rudolph in the 1st or 2nd round and i'll be so disappointed. Interviewing everyone else at least gives me the hope that it's just due diligence though.

You should just be happy they're addressing the position finally/hopefully, it may not be the guy eveyone wants but I'll trust the judgement of those who do this for a living until it becomes clear they shouldn't be doing this for a living. 

7 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Supposedly the Broncos are going to pursue Cousins aggressively.  If they land him before the draft, they'll pass on a top QB.

I think Cousins could end up elsewhere with such a bidding war about to happen for him but I agree Denver is a team ready to spend the problem is I could see some other team ready to spend more then them for him. Denver could easily bid and if it gets to be too much just forget about him and grab Mayfield because of where they are in the draft IMO. I like Cousins but man he is going to want a ton of money IMO, is he really worth all that?

23 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Many said the same about Watson and he lit up the league before his rookie season was up. Carolina played Cam right out of the gate.

Use that wasted bridge Tyrod money on other positions and start the rookie after a few games into the season. This is a much better QB  class then you think, in fact IMO this team is very good considering how they carried a bad QB all season.

So IMO we might not be a QB away from the SB but IMO we are a QB away from getting another wild card, maybe this time we can get one without another teams help like we had to with the not good enough overpriced 18mill Tyrod.

The days of waiting around for years for a  QB to develop are gone unless you are working with a late round project, 1st rounders start year one the majority of the time. Hell even Tannahill started his first year. Kizer a late rounder started late his rookie season, Dak also played his rookie season. 

A team does not move up that far in the draft to take a top 1st round QB to sit around for 2 years

Watson started well and was hurt.

Cam was the 2nd pick in the draft not really comparable of a prospect to the rest you mention in your post.

Tannehill sucked as a rookie. Kaiser, was not a late rounder, he was the second round. He started the season, and went 0-16. He was awful. That doesn't support your point at all.

Dak was only starting because of an injury to Romo. He was never drafted in the 4th with an intent to start.

None of what you said supports your point, which I'm not even sure what it is, other than you don't like Tyrod. Got it. But your post doesn't go to show that starting a rookie will be better or is the right idea.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

23 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Cam was the 2nd pick in the draft not really comparable of a prospect to the rest you mention in your post.

Tannehill sucked as a rookie. Kaiser, was not a late rounder, he was the second round. He started the season, and went 0-16. He was awful. That doesn't support your point at all.

Dak was only starting because of an injury to Romo. He was never drafted in the 4th with an intent to start.

None of what you said supports your point, which I'm not even sure what it is, other than you don't like Tyrod. Got it. But your post doesn't go to show that starting a rookie will be better or is the right idea.

What I am saying is rookie QBs start year one, I won't even list 2016/2017. You spend top draft pick on a top rookie and play him. Sitting a rookie QB is a luxury a team has if they have a franchise QB already on there team. You scoff at my dislike of Tyrod but after last season he should be long gone after his pathetic season. Tyrod sat for 4 years and still stinks.

2008:

• Matt Ryan (1st round)
  • Joe Flacco (1st round)

2009:

•   Matthew Stafford (1st overall)
  • Mark Sanchez (1st round)

2010:

• Sam Bradford (1st overall)

•   Cam Newton (1st overall)

• Andy Dalton (2nd round)

2012:

• Andrew Luck (1st overall)
  • Robert Griffin III (1st round)
  • Ryan Tannehill (1st round)
  • Brandon Weeden (1st round)
  • Russell Wilson (3rd round)

2013:

• EJ Manual (1st round)
  • Geno Smith (2nd round)

2014:

• Derek Carr (2nd round)

2015:

• Jameis Winston (1st overall)
  • Marcus Mariota (1st round)
Edited by xRUSHx

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you hear any of the following buzzwords to describe Harrison Phillips take a drink, “lunch pail,” “hard hat,” “blue collar,” “high motor,” “effort guy,” or any other stereotype along those lines.

He's one of my favorite players in this draft. He should be a kindred spirit to the wrestling coach because of his wrestling background.He reminds me a lot of Kyle Williams because he is so good using his leverage. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You should just be happy they're addressing the position finally/hopefully, it may not be the guy eveyone wants but I'll trust the judgement of those who do this for a living until it becomes clear they shouldn't be doing this for a living. 

I’d rather they take a different position than having them think Rudolph is the franchise QB they’ve been searching for. 

11 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t disagree agree that he is a season or two away from being really ready, but that for sure does not disqualify him for the Bills, in my opinion.  

First, the Bills are a far more than a QB away from being serious contenders.  Second, none of these QBs is going to walk in year 1 and lead a modestly talented (at best) Bills team to the Super Bowl.

For sure, if they think that they can trade up and get a QB who will be very good for 10 years, then by all means do so.  BUT, don’t thinks that

1- they don’t have a LOT of other holes that will not be filled exclusively in FA.

2- most, maybe alll of these QBs are more likely to be “ok” rather than great.  Who thinks any of these guys will be better than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger in year one?

For me, I couldn’t care less whether the QB prospect is ready to play year one.  I think it is unlikely that any of these guys will be truly ready to do that.  What I want/hope for is a QB prospect who has a chance to be a top 10 QB in the league eventually when the rest of the team is built around him.

From what I gather this FO is going after another bridge QB who could easily take this team further in the playoffs. Cousins #7 could be a guy who could lead them to the SB next year. Alex Smith #8, Case Keenum #12 and even Blake Bortles was #11 all fit that mold. 

Perhaps its just me, but I don't see an elite franchise QB from day one either (just yet) in this year's draft class and I also don't see a player worth giving up the farm for to move up to the top five. 

Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Luke Faulk. The Only guy I think would be worth a move up for is Baker Mayfield due to his 70% accuracy and although he is currently graded as the third/fourth best QB I don't see him getting by the Broncos at 5th or the NY Jets at 6th. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Here's an article written by Brian Billick from 2014, worth a read for the discussion you're having as it presents both sides, but does come to his own conclusion:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000388507/article/firstround-quarterbacks-should-start-from-day-1-in-todays-nfl

Edited by BigBuff423

5 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

What I am saying is rookie QBs start year one, I won't even list 2016/2017. You spend top draft pick on a top rookie and play him. Sitting a rookie QB is a luxury a team has if they have a franchise QB already on there team. You scoff at my dislike of Tyrod but after last season he should be long gone after his pathetic season. Tyrod sat for 4 years and still stinks.

2008:

• Matt Ryan (1st round)
  • Joe Flacco (1st round)

2009:

•   Matthew Stafford (1st overall)
  • Mark Sanchez (1st round)

2010:

• Sam Bradford (1st overall)

•   Cam Newton (1st overall)

• Andy Dalton (2nd round)

2012:

• Andrew Luck (1st overall)
  • Robert Griffin III (1st round)
  • Ryan Tannehill (1st round)
  • Brandon Weeden (1st round)
  • Russell Wilson (3rd round)

2013:

• EJ Manual (1st round)
  • Geno Smith (2nd round)

2014:

• Derek Carr (2nd round)

2015:

• Jameis Winston (1st overall)
  • Marcus Mariota (1st round)

What percentage of your almost 1,700 posts mention the word “Tyrod?”  You are in a thread about the players that the Bills met with at the Senior Bowl and you have talked about Tyrod in every post!! 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Bortles started as a rookie too and so did Teddy Bridgewater after about week 3.  

For me I am all for starting the rookie if it is the right guy. Rosen & Baker are Day 1 starters for me. Darnold probably is as well. Rudolph CAN play early too and Jackson probably needs a year. With the draft coming after FA I would probably add a capable vet in case I don’t have a day 1 QB. Peterman is not that placeholder. Get someone like Bradford or Bridgewater (again this assumes no Cousins).

They will meet with everyone and do their homework. they met with all of the quarterbacks last year as well and didn't like the top guys so took a flyer on Peterman late. 

Based on Beane's comments, if they feel Allen, Darnold, Rosen are top five guys they will move up. I think he feels we have the ammo to do it, but know it's a very steep price. 

I think they will realize that after those guys, there is no one in this draft worth 21, 22 and will wind up waiting until the fourth round to draft a guy like Mike White as a developmental guy. 

That's just my opinion. This regime is looking for a franchise altering long term quarterback who can win from the pocket. That is probably Allen, Darnold, Rosen. If they feel like those guys are the real deal they will make a move. Say what you want about Allen, but he gives the team that kind of hope. After that it's just throwing darts at the wall and drafting another Peterman. Maybe you get lucky and draft the next Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins, but you can't bank on that working. It is much more likely that this team's future franchise quarterback will come out of the top 5 of the draft. Maybe not this year, but at some point.  

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For me I am all for starting the rookie if it is the right guy. Rosen & Baker are Day 1 starters for me. Darnold probably is as well. Rudolph CAN play early too and Jackson probably needs a year. With the draft coming after FA I would probably add a capable vet in case I don’t have a day 1 QB. Peterman is not that placeholder. Get someone like Bradford or Bridgewater (again this assumes no Cousins).

Agree.  I would like to sit Darnold for a few weeks and Rudolph probably until the home turn of the season.