Zolak appology

Cmdjr85

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Any time someone refers to our fan base as “Bills Mafia” it is an insult. Why can’t we drop that childish derogatory name already? I’m pretty damn close to putting it on the ban filter. 

Even though you disagree with it, please don’t put it in the ban filter...many players and coaches and analysts use it as a term of endearment...and I actually appreciate when I hear it because what other teams fan base has their own name that is so recognized as ours?  And plus, it just sounds cool to me...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Yup, it's pretty much acknowledged shorthand for "drunk idiots" to everyone I've met outside of Buffalo.

That’s only because those types get air time online, not because they are Bills Mafia...there is a difference.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Did he really? That's pretty disgusting. Let me guess? He said Tre deserved it since he was "holding" gronk all game? 

In this thread the OP was mainly referring to his color commentator that refers to us as a trashy fan base, comparing the Bills fan base to the Eagles. I think the title Mafia is original and sounds cool if only meant the fan base traveled as one and has a good showing at road games, but the way it's being perceived to outsiders is that all the Bills fans are jumping through tables and lighting themselves on fire while chugging beer 24/7.  

I might be wrong, but I think that is why SDS has an issue with it. 

While it’s ok for him to have an issue with it, seems like a bit of s power trip to want to ban the phrase from the message boards... we’re all adults here- and it’s not exactly George Carlin’s 7 dirty words...just sayin...we don’t need another BBMB

Edited by JaCrispy

2 hours ago, dulles said:

Before you call someone lame, you might want to consider the platform from which they speak. SDS just happens to be the platform for the forum on which you are commenting.  Now might be a good time to delete your account and start over. :)

SDS is awesome, it's like Siri, you can ask it anything and it has the answer.

Mafia SHOULD have a negative connotation. Murder, drugs, bullying, violence, etc. It was also a term first used for a small group of Bills fans doing the best MTV Jack$$ impression they could. It's understandable why some people might have issue being mixed in with either of these groups. That said since the Dalton TD it's sort of taken on a life of it's own. Mafia also gives people the feeling of family/deep bonds. National media ran with it and essentially separated the term from the Jack$$ days. I don't have an issue with it. Beats lovable losers, anything Nation, or all the other weak apathetic names we see for other fan bases. Bills fans weren't even on the map post Jim Kelly. Now we have a unique nickname that is used nationally in a positive context. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Completly diffrent. Do bills fans throw beer cans at parents and kids? 

I think you missed the point.  Throwing something at someone who has not assumed the risk of participating in a gladiator sport is much worse than blatantly violating the rules of that sport to intentionally inflict injury upon another participant. One is worse than the other, but both are bad.  So if Zolak is going to condemn an ambush outside the stadium (eagles fans hurling beer cans at others), then he should take the same approach with respect to an ambush within the stadium (Gronk on white).

4 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Completly diffrent. Do bills fans throw beer cans at parents and kids? 

To answer your question directly, now ...I would be surprised if it happened.  Back in the day (late 80s early 90s), it was much rougher at the stadium and the hurling of beer was maybe not common but not altogether irregular.  So during those times ... maybe yes. 

That brings up another good point.  Maybe bills fans are more serious about their drinking now (and don’t want to waste the booze).  Maybe the security in and around the stadium is better.  Maybe times are different. But either way, despite the immaturity of some parts of the “mafia,” the game day crowd is MUCH tamer than it used to be.  Jumping through tables and hurting ones self, while kind of dumb, really is harmless compared to how things used to be back in the day. 

4 hours ago, dulles said:

Before you call someone lame, you might want to consider the platform from which they speak. SDS just happens to be the platform for the forum on which you are commenting.  Now might be a good time to delete your account and start over. :)

First off, check your reading comprehension. Did I say "you are lame" or did I say "Thats pretty lame"? I know, it's pretty difficult to see that I was actually referring to his opinion, that it is derogatory, is lame. I stand by that 100% regardless of who says it. I know that SDS runs this place, but does that mean I have to kiss his butt and agree with everything he says? Stop being a "yes" man and grow a pair.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SDS said:

So, “mafia” means something positive in your world?

Actually, it was rarely used here for most of its existence. There was a slight uptick when BBMB shut down. And now everyone is using it after the Andy Dalton charity fundraiser. 

BillsMafia are the asshats lighting themselves on ?. Those who get off on the name are getting off on the badass connotations as being associated with the their own little sports mob. 

You are disconnected from the fanbase.  I feel sorry for you ?

I'm not Italian... so I've always seen the mafia for what it was...

What if we called ourselves the Buffalo Bloods on color rush night, and Buffalo Crips when we wear Blue... 

It's the same thing. And not only that, Bills Mafia has always been stupid. They jump through tables, they chase people down and harrass them on social media. I'm glad they donated to Dalton's charity, but for the most part, it's dumb. I also don't think it has anything to do with BBMB... The Bills Mafia things has been on twitter, deadspin, barstool, and been getting referenced on ESPN and Jim Rome for years now. 

As for the topic... Who the hell is Zolak? 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

11 hours ago, SDS said:

Any time someone refers to our fan base as “Bills Mafia” it is an insult. Why can’t we drop that childish derogatory name already? I’m pretty damn close to putting it on the ban filter. 

Totally with you Scott.

9 hours ago, KzooMike said:

. It was also a term first used for a small group of Bills fans doing the best MTV Jack$$ impression they could.

#BillsMafia was in no way started in that way..here is how it started. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alyssa-jung/meet-the-billsmafia_b_1917921.html

And Del Reid, one of the co-creators of the #BillsMafia has gone on and created 26Shirts, which is an awesome fundraising vehicle for people in need. Everyone should follow 26shirts and buy when they can.

And I know this belongs in pet peeve, but why in Gods holy name would someone try to prove they are cool and write"who is Scott Zolak" or any time a name comes up...they are on a message board, i believe they may know how to use Google!! But maybe I just give people too much credit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

While it’s ok for him to have an issue with it, seems like a bit of s power trip to want to ban the phrase from the message boards... we’re all adults here- and it’s not exactly George Carlin’s 7 dirty words...just sayin...we don’t need another BBMB

Um.....it's your house...you put up the money, you bought it, you own it, you maintain it, you set the rules and arrange for their enforcement, and it's a "power trip" if you add a new rule? 

You must have a sad home life, bashed about by your kid's friends and whatever your spouse wants. 

Alternatively, hypocritical.

18 hours ago, Cmdjr85 said:

You dont care, but ure hoping the eagles win. Cause its angering you inside. Success breads hate.

Cheating and arrogance breed hate, in fact.

Also, lots of unrest surrounding a silly fanbase nickname, coined in jest.

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SDS said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...make it happen.

Right from the beginning, I've never cared for the "bills mafia" moniker. 

18 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I never understood the mafia thing myself. There is no definition of mafia that paints anything in a positive light

Ma·fi·a
ˈmäfēə/  
noun
noun: Mafia; noun: the Mafia
  1. an organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
    • any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
      noun: mafia; plural noun: mafias
    • a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.

This 100%.

Edited by LabattBlue

18 hours ago, SDS said:

So, “mafia” means something positive in your world?

Actually, it was rarely used here for most of its existence. There was a slight uptick when BBMB shut down. And now everyone is using it after the Andy Dalton charity fundraiser. 

BillsMafia are the asshats lighting themselves on ?. Those who get off on the name are getting off on the badass connotations as being associated with the their own little sports mob. 

Actually, Bills Mafia was started for extremely charitable and noble purposes and had nothing to do with the people lighting themselves on fire...look up Del Reid and you will see why we are fortunate enough to have the national BillsMafia moniker 

Now, I understand you do not want to be associated with the table jumpers, neither do I. However, taking a stand against the BillsMafia moniker, IMO, is not the way to go about it. Perhaps attempting to give those asshats a different label ("Billscreants", "BillsInfants", something like that) and making that stick would be more effective.

We should be proud of national recognition for the positives, and the charitable cause that started Bills Mafia (long before the Andy Dalton thing)

*Edit: I did not see Plenzmd post above, but click on his link and you can see why we are the Bills Mafia. 

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um.....it's your house...you put up the money, you bought it, you own it, you maintain it, you set the rules and arrange for their enforcement, and it's a "power trip" if you add a new rule? 

You must have a sad home life, bashed about by your kid's friends and whatever your spouse wants. 

Alternatively, hypocritical.

No need for ad hominem attacks just because I disagree with his premise for censorship.  Many people just don’t think it’s that big of a deal.  I probably shouldn’t have used the term “power trip” but the whole thing just seemed kind of petty to me, and I am used to BBMB mods doing stuff like that.

7 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Actually, Bills Mafia was started for extremely charitable and noble purposes and had nothing to do with the people lighting themselves on fire...look up Del Reid and you will see why we are fortunate enough to have the national BillsMafia moniker 

Now, I understand you do not want to be associated with the table jumpers, neither do I. However, taking a stand against the BillsMafia moniker, IMO, is not the way to go about it. Perhaps attempting to give those asshats a different label ("Billscreants", "BillsInfants", something like that) and making that stick would be more effective.

We should be proud of national recognition for the positives, and the charitable cause that started Bills Mafia (long before the Andy Dalton thing)

*Edit: I did not see Plenzmd post above, but click on his link and you can see why we are the Bills Mafia. 

Could not have said it better myself 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

No need for ad hominem attacks just because I disagree with his premise for censorship.  Many people just don’t think it’s that big of a deal.  I probably shouldn’t have used the term “power trip” but the whole thing just seemed kind of petty to me, and I am used to BBMB mods doing stuff like that.

Could not have said it better myself 

Fairly said!  I did consider the "power trip" an ad hominem.  I'll go halfway and ack my response to you was uncalled for - I was influenced by a truly unfortunate (and ad hominem) post by someone else, but no reason to poke at you.

BillsMafia doesn't bother me, but I do have friends whose family were involved with actual mafia one or another way and shudder at the term, so I can see it.

Overall I appreciate what Scott does and my feeling is - his house, his rules - anyone doesn't like his rules, feel free to go build your own house (and fund it).

Cheers!

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1