Mayfield may not play in Senior Bowl

MrEpsYtown

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/senior-bowl-2018-baker-mayfield-nfl-draft-heisman-trophy-winner-oklahoma/onh9a1g5hvwk1rcirftgphiwv

So basically Mayfield's agent is saying he may not play in the game at all. He will practice and he wants to do interviews. What do you guys think about this? This comes out this morning and Mayfield showed up late so he missed weigh ins. 

The biggest questions for him are his size, how he will function in a pro style offense, and his character...so he's late, we don't know how big he is, and he may not play in the game. Seems a little strange to me. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/senior-bowl-2018-baker-mayfield-nfl-draft-heisman-trophy-winner-oklahoma/onh9a1g5hvwk1rcirftgphiwv

So basically Mayfield's agent is saying he may not play in the game at all. He will practice and he wants to do interviews. What do you guys think about this? This comes out this morning and Mayfield showed up late so he missed weigh ins. 

The biggest questions for him are his size, how he will function in a pro style offense, and his character...so he's late, we don't know how big he is, and he may not play in the game. Seems a little strange to me. 

I can understand trying to avoid any kind of injury. He will have everything take place in a couple of weeks at the combine. The Senior Bowl isn't going to really help him at this point imo. 

I think he took the spot of a Senior who would die to play!!!

He will have plenty of opportunity to Showcase his potential and interview.

Its like in the Military when someone get a line number to promote, but knows they are getting out. Basically taking the opportunity away from someone else.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

he's going to be a top 10 pick as it is.  playing in this game and getting measured at 5'11" in front of all of the media gasping can only hurt his chances.  his agent is trying to protect his draft stock

Considering the Broncos asked the NFL for Mayfield to get to play in the game and now he's not is a bit of a slap in the face. Personally I don't like him and hope some other team takes him before we have the chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Considering the Broncos asked the NFL for Mayfield to get to play in the game and now he's not is a bit of a slap in the face. Personally I don't like him and hope some other team takes him before we have the chance. 

they will.  if Broncos pass and taken Allen (like I think they will) then I think Jets take Mayfield at 6.  lots of buzz that Saints want to try and trade up to get him so if he starts to fall to around the 10 range i think you will see teams trading up.  no way he falls too far.  only way he falls is if he plays in this game and looks bad

What he and Rudolph (injury) have decided will not help their draft status. There is tons of tape on both players but given that transitioning to a pro offence is a question I'm sure that the pro talent evaluators would have liked to see them in live action and up close. An equally important question with respect to Mayfield is his character and he will be interviewed so that's good. The attending coaches will also get to see him interact with his teammates throughout the week of practices. And they will get to check out how he does in passing drills. 

Not participating could be more of a problem for Rudolph IMO.

Mayfield and Allen were to play on the same team. Maybe this buys Allen a bit more playing time and that is really more important in his case. He is obviously going to wow them in shorts but the main question is how well will he play against a big step up in competition. He did not do well playing last year against power 5 teams. Why did a guy with prototypical elite traits and football smarts (he's very good in front of the chalkboard) play so poorly? If he lights it up in the game he's probably going top 5. If he craps out he will drop, maybe even a fair bit. 

Edited by starrymessenger

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

What he and Rudolph (injury) have decided will not help their draft status. There is tons of tape on both players but given that transitioning to a pro offence is a question I'm sure that the pro talent evaluators would have liked to see them in live action and up close. Any equally important question with respect to Mayfield is his character and he will be interviewed so that's good. The attending coaches will also get to see him interact with his teammates throughout the week of practices. And they will get to check out how he does in passing drills. 

Not participating could be more of a problem for Rudolph IMO.

Mayfield and Allen were to play on the same team. Maybe this buys Allen a bit more playing time and that is really more important in his case. He is obviously going to wow them in shorts but the main question is how well will he play against a big step up in competition. He did not do well playing last year against power 5 teams. Why did a guy with prototypical elite traits and football smarts (he's very good in front of the chalkboard) play so poorly? If he lights it up in the game he's probably going top 5. If he craps out he will drop, maybe even a fair bit. 

Good points. I have a feeling Allen is going to put on a absolute show this week. 

34 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

he's going to be a top 10 pick as it is.  playing in this game and getting measured at 5'11" in front of all of the media gasping can only hurt his chances.  his agent is trying to protect his draft stock

Good points, but why not just skip the whole thing then? Say he's going to focus on the combine like everyone else always does. If everybody knows he's 5'11" then he should just get measured. 

I get what the agent is trying to do, but it just seems wishy-washy to me. Plus he showed up late...to me that's like the guys who get a positive drug test at the combine. It's just dumb.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown