YOU are the Bills GM. You own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?

smuvtalker

YOU are the Bills GM, and you own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. With the 1st pick in the draft, what do you do?

• Draft Darnold
    • Draft Rosen
    • Draft Mayfield
    • Trade down with a partner, obtain additional draft picks, and take one of the 2nd tier QB's. (Allen, Rudolph, Jackson)
    • Sign a QB via free agency, use pick to address other areas of need

9 hours ago, nonprophet said:

What's the average track record of USC quarterbacks taken in the first round?

I'm leery of Darnold personally; he's been surrounded with top-flight talent at USC and they may make him look better than he actually is. I'd rather the Bills draft a QB who hasn't had the greatest supporting cast and made them look better than they actually are.

USC is okay... they're not a powerhouse with tons of talent. Darnold looks like good QB. I'm not concerned with what past USC QBs have done. How many franchise QBs out of UCLA? Wyoming? Oklahoma? I'm not going to bother looking that up.

I think he's definitely helped make USC a Pac12 contender again.

8 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Why do we think Browns, Giants, Broncos or Jets will trade with the Bills when they can get Darnold or Rosen?  This has never been explained to me.  Assuming, Browns and Giants don't make that selection, why would the Colts give up their pick?

The question is who are the realistic trade partners and whether the QB is worth it.  

Well, the Browns have 1 and 4 overall, and more holes in the roster than any other team. Let's assume they get their qb at #1, the giants take whoever they don't take (Rosen or Darnold), and the Colts take Barkley, the consensus best player in the draft. What do you do if you're the Browns?

Sure you could take the BPA, which would probably be a tackle or edge rusher. Add one more big piece. Or, you could trade down since you already have your QB, take what would probably be a kings ransom for your pick, and put probably 3 more impact players on the team, likely another in next years draft. 

Flip that to the Bills, and you could see why this is possible. If someone told you we could draft the best qb available in this draft without trading a pick, and then leave the draft with 2 more firsts, another high pick, and a high pick in 2019 I think every fan would be on board. 

11 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

You can’t say no one cares, otherwise you would never have heard of these stories because they wouldn’t be reported. More to the point is you don’t care....and that’s cool, America is a great place for differences of opinion. But, people like me do care - I don’t want a bloviating buffoon to be the QB of a team I love so much and support year-round. 

I’m not asking him to be perfect or saintly, but Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, are all guys that can do great work on the field and be a gentleman of integrity and good character. There are others like Russell Wilson and Dak thus far, it’s not asking too much for the QB to be a decent human being without the childish antics. 

The kid isn't "a bloviating buffoon".  You fabricated that persona for him in order to get to the point you are trying to make.

He's a passionate player.  His team mates play hard for him.  You don't like that?  Hey, that's cool.

17 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

His last year was littered with some over-the-top gestures and moments in lapse of judgment...IMHO, at 22 you can certainly mature and grow beyond them but you must demonstrate a sincere interest in doing so....to me, his answers after the Ohio State flag-planting were panned and insincere and the groping of his jock further demonstrated that he has yet to grasp the meaning of leadership in terms of character...so, I don't think he'll do well in the NFL in the long run, but I also think his greatest struggle will be with handling the immense responsibility of being a QB off the field in moments when you must allow integrity during the game to prevail if you want to be the face of the franchise, and be respected. 

So hes not the most mature and reserved person? That doesn't bother me in the slightest. The dude that has won 5 super bowls likes to yell and get in peoples faces too.

Mayfield knows how hard he needs to work. This is a former walk on that started the opener as a true freshman. Hes the first person to do that in NCAA history. Then he went on to win the Heisman. He is a gamer and i think the team that drafts him is going to get a star

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The kid isn't "a bloviating buffoon".  You fabricated that persona for him in order to get to the point you are trying to make.

He's a passionate player.  His team mates play hard for him.  You don't like that?  Hey, that's cool.

Ok, so here's the link following his arrest for his actual words....only to have them followed by the flag-planting scenario and crotch grabbing issue, so if this isn't buffoonery to you, then so be it - but don't act like it's coming from some personal narrative of mine....I don't think the kid has it to be an NFL QB, but if that were all, I would simply say no Thank You and move on...but, when character issues arise out of the most important position in the NFL and it's at least a "possibility" the Bills would draft him, then yes I take note of his character:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-sooners-baker-mayfield-qb-arrest-charges-apology-heisman-trophy-030117

Moreover, I clearly have said at least twice, that even these immature acts are not damning in themselves IMHO, but more the breadth of time they cover and the various ways in which they manifest themselves, meaning it's on field - it's off field - it's disorderly conduct and resisting arrest - and it's poor sportsmanship in the time of victory....those are serious concerns for me. If they're not to you, again - cool, but don't paint me to be someone with an agenda, I'm merely stating my opinion based on fact. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

So hes not the most mature and reserved person? That doesn't bother me in the slightest. The dude that has won 5 super bowls likes to yell and get in peoples faces too.

Mayfield knows how hard he needs to work. This is a former walk on that started the opener as a true freshman. Hes the first person to do that in NCAA history. Then he went on to win the Heisman. He is a gamer and i think the team that drafts him is going to get a star

To this point, see my statements above for clarification. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Ok, so here's the link following his arrest for his actual words....only to have them followed by the flag-planting scenario and crotch grabbing issue, so if this isn't buffoonery to you, then so be it - but don't act like it's coming from some personal narrative of mine....I don't think the kid has it to be an NFL QB, but if that were all, I would simply say no Thank You and move on...but, when character issues arise out of the most important position in the NFL and it's at least a "possibility" the Bills would draft him, then yes I take note of his character:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/oklahoma-sooners-baker-mayfield-qb-arrest-charges-apology-heisman-trophy-030117

Moreover, I clearly have said at least twice, that even these immature acts are not damning in themselves IMHO, but more the breadth of time they cover and the various ways in which they manifest themselves, meaning it's on field - it's off field - it's disorderly conduct and resisting arrest - and it's poor sportsmanship in the time of victory....those are serious concerns for me. If they're not to you, again - cool, but don't paint me to be someone with an agenda, I'm merely stating my opinion based on fact. 

To this point, see my statements above for clarification. Thanks.

What I'm saying is that none of this would prevent him from functioning as an NFL starter.  Are you saying that if he was drafted and took the Bills to the playoffs again and there was some crotch grabbing and trash talking along the way, you would have "serious concerns"?  About what, exactly?  The feelings of other players?  The children?

This is minor stuff.  Cam Newton was a criminal in college.  He then went on to become an NFL MVP.

I would have no issue with the Bills drafting him if they were convinced he could play.  I don't look to NFL games to inform or reaffirm my moral compass.  I watch to be entertained.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:48 PM, Rob's House said:

2 girls at the same time. If I were GM of the Bills I think I could hook that up.

One of my all time favorite movies!!

"Hey man, you wanna come over and hang out?"  

"No thanks man...I don't want you effin up my life too."  

??

On 1/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

This is easy for me. I draft Rosen. He was born to throw a football. I know that his personality is quirky and he has battled some injuries. At the same time, I think that his floor is really high and his ceiling is too.

Rosen is a truly gifted pigskin slinger....on pure talent I take Rosen over the others 100 times out of a hundred......but dammit Mayfield just does it for me.  His moxie, his fearlessness, his competitiveness blows my skirt up...and lets not forget he has become pretty adept at passing the football....I think Mayfield is the 3rd QB taken, and it will be in the top 5.  

But yeah Rosen is just a cut above the rest....agree with you 100%.

23 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

His last year was littered with some over-the-top gestures and moments in lapse of judgment...IMHO, at 22 you can certainly mature and grow beyond them but you must demonstrate a sincere interest in doing so....to me, his answers after the Ohio State flag-planting were panned and insincere and the groping of his jock further demonstrated that he has yet to grasp the meaning of leadership in terms of character...so, I don't think he'll do well in the NFL in the long run, but I also think his greatest struggle will be with handling the immense responsibility of being a QB off the field in moments when you must allow integrity during the game to prevail if you want to be the face of the franchise, and be respected. 

Very well said.  While I am among those squarely in the Mayfield camp, I do love his competitiveness, it's one of the things that endears me to him.  However, I must admit that some of his antics have been quite unsportsmanlike, and I'm praying he realizes he's going to have to seriously tone it down in the NFL.  If he pulls one of those crotch-grabbing displays to the Steelers sideline next year, he might find himself getting accidentally picked up and gorilla slammed onto his head....

I do think he will get it together in time to be a humble, respectful NFL quarterback...and I hope it's with the Buffalo Bills...

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are a lot of caveats to this question though.  If we had the #1 pick in the draft the way you wrote it, we would have to suck meaning we dont have a lot of players on this team that we do now, certainly not Shady.  

So I have to assume we have LOTS of holes to fill, including RB because no way we get the #1 pick with Shady here.  I do one of the following:

1. Sign Cousins in FA, and draft Barkely #1.  
  2. Or Draft Rosen and spend on guys like Star in FA.  

I really could've been much more detailed in my poll, I left SO much to be pondered.  I'll definitely do better on my next one.

It's hard to find fault with either one of those scenarios.  I probably go with option number 2, because Rosen, IMHO, is hands down the most talented QB in this draft, and second, I am both terrified AND curious to see the actual salary that Cousins is going to command.  He is the number 1 QB free agent next year (Saints have ZERO interest in letting Brees walk), and as always, teams will continue to overpay for the QB position, so I can't wait to see what he gets...i pray it's not the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Wentz and Goff were two huge risks at the top of the 2016 draft.  Who really has any clue who the next franchise QB(10+ year starter) out of Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph and all the sleepers will be?  Not me.

I will say this...it will cost a small fortune to move up to 1 or 2(no thanks).

I will also say this...I don't know if he will have have any long term success, but Mayfield seems like a guy who would make things exciting on an otherwise dismal offensive Bills teams of recent years....on 2nd thought, I thought the same thing about Johnny Manziel.  :lol:

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think you and BigBuff423 both make very valid points. Mayfield did have quite a few instances where his competitiveness got the best of him and he made some gestures, did a few immature things that he ended up having to publicly apologize for.  It's certainly a concern of mine that he reel in that fiery competitive spirit JUST enough to keep whatever issues he has to deal with ON the field and not off it.  You bring up a great point in that Mayfield did start his collegiate football career as a WALK-ON at the University of Okla-freakin-homa.  To walk on to and make it onto the roster is a testament to hard work in itself.  I played college ball for the University of Pittsburgh, and the walk-ons got treated the roughest by the players, mostly ignored by the coaches unless they really messed up, made a spectacular play, or jeapordized the health of a scholarship player or blue chipper.  To walk on to the U of O, as a freakin QB no less, and make it, is a rarity. But to walk on, make it, and be named the starter as a true freshman????  Like you said, IT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN!!  So that in itself tells me the kid is no stranger to hard work, and is willing to put in the time to improve himself and his image.  I fully expect him to succeed in the NFL as the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, however, if he goes to another team, he's nothing more than an arrogant, brash, POS quarterback with a serious attitude problem and he can take a flying f.....

15 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I thought Wentz and Goff were two huge risks at the top of the 2016 draft.  Who really has any clue who the next franchise QB(10+ year starter) out of Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph and all the sleepers will be?  Not me.

I will say this...it will cost a small fortune to move up to 1 or 2(no thanks).

I will also say this...I don't know if he will have have any long term success, but Mayfield seems like a guy who would make things exciting on an otherwise dismal offensive Bills teams of recent years....on 2nd thought, I thought the same thing about Johnny Manziel.  :lol:

I did too regarding Manziel, but the only similarities I can see between Mayfield and Manziel are both possess the swagger and moxie to go along with their talent, and that's it.  Mayfield, to me, is willing to put in the work to refine his craft, improve his image and the public's perception that he is over the top with some of his antics.  Manziel was hardly interested in putting in work of any kind that didn't consist of liquor and coochie.  

My ideal off season would be to

FA pickups-re-signing:

Alex Smith 

Nigel Bradham

Gaines

Kyle Williams

Dontari Poe

Draft picks

1A) Maurice Hurst - DT

1B) Rashaan Evans - ILB

2A) Equanimeous Brown - WR

2B) Billy Price  -  Guard

On 1/23/2018 at 12:24 PM, GoBills808 said:

Since by that time I've already signed Cousins, I trade down with the Jets to 7th, pick up an additional 1st and 2nd, and draft Roquan Smith.

You're seriously going to give the Jests the #1 pick?

You should be fired on the spot for helping a division rival, unless you pick up about 5 additional 1st and 2nd round picks.