YOU are the Bills GM. You own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?

smuvtalker

YOU are the Bills GM, and you own the 1st pick in the draft. What do you do?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. With the 1st pick in the draft, what do you do?

• Draft Darnold
    • Draft Rosen
    • Draft Mayfield
    • Trade down with a partner, obtain additional draft picks, and take one of the 2nd tier QB's. (Allen, Rudolph, Jackson)
    • Sign a QB via free agency, use pick to address other areas of need

4 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Another good movie quote. This thread is all about the movies man. 

Glad to hear it. When I read the thread title, I hear  Dennis Hopper in "Speed."

"Pop quiz, hot shot. You're the Bills GM. You have the first pick in the draft. What do you do? WHAT. DO. YOU. DO???"

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

This is only my second topic started, I do hope it opens up some good dialogue and that people don't feel it's redundant.  I looked through the last 4 pages, and didn't see a topic exactly like this one, so hoping I haven't created this for nothing. I got to thinking about having the 1st overall pick in the draft, and how it can be an awesome gift, or a nasty curse.  It's the position that the team drafting is supposed to 100% of the time nail a homerun. The player selected is projected to be a starter from day one, that is expected to impact the game immediately, and also expected to have a long NFL career.  So with that said, you're now the GM of the Bills. And you own the number one overall pick in the draft. For arguments sake, you do not own the stockpile of picks that the Bills currently possess.  You own the traditional 7 picks and that's it.  

So, as the GM and architect of this draft, knowing the franchise is desperate need of a QB, but also with several other areas of need to address, what do you do?

Welcome!

Could you add a "Draft Allen" choice since Kiper and another "unnamed NFL exec" who pumped for Wentz last year are pushing him as #1 overall?

5 hours ago, nonprophet said:

What's the average track record of USC quarterbacks taken in the first round?

In the last 2 decades there have been 3: Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart.

You be the judge.

8 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

After submitting this poll, I realized I probably should have added more options, as with the number one pick there are a plethora of options that can be done.  Please forgive me.

Also shouldn't have made it multiple choice ;)

Anyways, if I held the #1 overall pick I would post a Youtube video challenging any other GMs that want the #1 overall pick to post their own video reading their trade offer while eating a Tide Pod

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

His last year was littered with some over-the-top gestures and moments in lapse of judgment...IMHO, at 22 you can certainly mature and grow beyond them but you must demonstrate a sincere interest in doing so....to me, his answers after the Ohio State flag-planting were panned and insincere and the groping of his jock further demonstrated that he has yet to grasp the meaning of leadership in terms of character...so, I don't think he'll do well in the NFL in the long run, but I also think his greatest struggle will be with handling the immense responsibility of being a QB off the field in moments when you must allow integrity during the game to prevail if you want to be the face of the franchise, and be respected. 

The NFL is already LITTERED with these kinds of guys already---and you know what?  NO ONE CARES!!!  It's entertainment.

Bottom line...winning immunizes all players from any serious criticism. Cam Newton has been an immature man-boy since he was drafted (after the shadiest career of any college QB EVER).  As long as he won, no one cared---CAM IS WEARING ANOTHER FUNNY HAT!  CAM IS SHOCKED WOMEN WHO COVER HIS TEAM CAN ASK INTELLIGENT QUESTIONS ABOUT HIS TEAM!!

Really, no one cares....until they start loose.

I voted that I would pick Rosen because he seems to be the consensus top pick of most of the mocks.

He may or may not be "all that" but provided GMs are convinced he wants the game, wants to be good, he seems to have the best evaluations of his QB skills

If I already own #1 pick as GM for the day that's what I do

The arithmetic alters if I have a later pick and have to give up a lot of draft capital to trade up

6 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Rosen would be the last guy I pick 1st overall.  I would take Rosen on this team, but if I have the ultimate choice, he wouldn't be mine.  The attitude and injuries are a huge concern.  Also the winning % is college is just another strike against him.

I personally would take Mayfield with Darnold a close second.  I personally don't think there is much difference between Rosen and Allen.  Allen has the way better attitude and love for the game.

Educate me what do you see as the attitude problem?

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL is already LITTERED with these kinds of guys already---and you know what?  NO ONE CARES!!!  It's entertainment.

Bottom line...winning immunizes all players from any serious criticism. Cam Newton has been an immature man-boy since he was drafted (after the shadiest career of any college QB EVER).  As long as he won, no one cared---CAM IS WEARING ANOTHER FUNNY HAT!  CAM IS SHOCKED WOMEN WHO COVER HIS TEAM CAN ASK INTELLIGENT QUESTIONS ABOUT HIS TEAM!!

Really, no one cares....until they start loose.

You can’t say no one cares, otherwise you would never have heard of these stories because they wouldn’t be reported. More to the point is you don’t care....and that’s cool, America is a great place for differences of opinion. But, people like me do care - I don’t want a bloviating buffoon to be the QB of a team I love so much and support year-round. 

I’m not asking him to be perfect or saintly, but Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, are all guys that can do great work on the field and be a gentleman of integrity and good character. There are others like Russell Wilson and Dak thus far, it’s not asking too much for the QB to be a decent human being without the childish antics. 

Edited by BigBuff423

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You can’t say no one cares, otherwise you would never have heard of these stories because they wouldn’t be reported. More to the point is you don’t care....and that’s cool, America is a great place for differences of opinion. But, people like me do care - I don’t want a bloviating buffoon to be the QB of a team I love so much and support year-round. 

I’m not asking him to be perfect or saintly, but Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, are all guys that can do great work on the field and be a gentleman of integrity and good character. There are others like Russell Wilson and Dak thus far, it’s not asking too much for the QB to be a decent human being without the childish antics. 

Eli refused to play for San Diego and forced a trade to NY

he wasn't high character at 22

Peyton also mooned a female PT at Tennessee unwanted ... if that was today there would be hell to pay 

i could care less , but those are 2 instances of being immature and not gentlemanly for both manning brothers

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Educate me what do you see as the attitude problem?

This is a legitimate concern with Rosen.  Stanford (his dream school) turned him down to his demeanor where coaches found him too arrogant.  He sometimes comes across as a spoiled rich kid with a large ego and a sense of entitlement.  He's made some controversial statements like, "Raise the SAT at Alabama and see what kind of team they have there" or wearing a blank Trump hat at one of Trump's golf courses.  He put a hot tub in his dorm room freshman year and some are linking him with Manziel.  I'd just be careful and really do your homework with the guy before giving up the farm to go up and draft him.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Eli refused to play for San Diego and forced a trade to NY

he wasn't high character at 22

Peyton also mooned a female PT at Tennessee unwanted ... if that was today there would be hell to pay 

i could care less , but those are 2 instances of being immature and not gentlemanly for both manning brothers

And earlier in the post to a question asked, I said a guy showing signs of immaturity at age 22 is not difficult to overcome IF that young man is sincere in his interest to grow up....also, Eli’s refusal to play for San Diego was a business decision based on his perceived fit with a team. But that was about who he wanted to play for, not about doing stupid childish things and then refusing to learn from them.

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

And earlier in the post to a question asked, I said a guy showing signs of immaturity at age 22 is not difficult to overcome IF that young man is sincere in his interest to grow up....also, Eli’s refusal to play for San Diego was a business decision based on his perceived fit with a team. But that was about who he wanted to play for, not about doing stupid childish things and then refusing to learn from them.

but you talked about being a gentleman.

Forcing a trade when a team is willing to make you the #1 pick is not gentlemanly... no matter what

it's an honor and I don't believe players have a right to call their shot. 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

but you talked about being a gentleman.

Forcing a trade when a team is willing to make you the #1 pick is not gentlemanly... no matter what

it's an honor and I don't believe players have a right to call their shot. 

We can agree to disagree but I think you can be a gentleman and a shrewd business man. Seen it, done it. 

One is character the other is how you conduct business - you can be a gentleman while making demands. But I think we’ll just agree that these two sides are not to be reconciled. 

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

We can agree to disagree but I think you can be a gentleman and a shrewd business man. Seen it, done it. 

One is character the other is how you conduct business - you can be a gentleman while making demands. But I think we’ll just agree that these two sides are not to be reconciled. 

He wasn't a shrewd business man though. He was an entitled kid who didn't want to play for the loser Chargers . He's a football player

Phillip Rivers didn't cry about going to San Diego, he made himself a career.

Eli Cried... it wasn't a shrewd business decision because he would have made millions in San Diego . He didn't want to play for the chargers 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He wasn't a shrewd business man though. He was an entitled kid who didn't want to play for the loser Chargers . He's a football player

Phillip Rivers didn't cry about going to San Diego, he made himself a career.

Eli Cried... it wasn't a shrewd business decision because he would have made millions in San Diego . He didn't want to play for the chargers 

Again, we will disagree. I personally think he made the right decision. Remember when Jim Kelly went USFL to avoid the Bills? Or when Elway made similar statements and decisions? It happens because it is...a business decision. A decision where they feel their career will have the best trajectory - regardless of their reasons. And considering Eli has won two Super Bowls while Rivers has barely sniffed the playoffs indicates Eli and Archie knew what they were doing. But, we shall agree to disagree, and let it be that. Enjoy your evening Sir and Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Again, we will disagree. I personally think he made the right decision. Remember when Jim Kelly went USFL to avoid the Bills? Or when Elway made similar statements and decisions? It happens because it is...a business decision. A decision where they feel their career will have the best trajectory - regardless of their reasons. And considering Eli has won two Super Bowls while Rivers has barely sniffed the playoffs indicates Eli and Archie knew what they were doing. But, we shall agree to disagree, and let it be that. Enjoy your evening Sir and Go Bills!

Eli and the Giants got hot twice at the end of the year and won it at 9-7.

Eli has never beaten San Diego 

Phillip Rivers is still going to the HoF and has better stats than Manning. Think he's mad? No

as for Elway , still a punk , same with jim when he did it

entitled. The only one who has a valid excuse is Bo Jackson because the Bucs screwed him and made him lose his college eligibility in baseball

but these are all opinions... so

Go Bills!

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1