Why Marrone and Hackett Still Suck

Domdab99

Saw this thread on Twitter by Warren Sharp, and thought I'd post the content here.  The twitter thread has video of plays in it. Here is the link.

I have a very sad thread for Jaguars fans. It's about the 4th quarter, situational awareness, play calling and predictability. Stay tuned for the very end, where these issues were (unfortunately) highlighted last June.

The Jaguars were up 20-10 in the 4th quarter. I'm going to showcase every single snap they took when the clock was moving, highlighting time left on play clock + play call itself. This will seem like Groundhog Day, but that's not until Feb 2nd.

He goes on to examine a few plays. Then...

Every. Single. First. Down. Was. A. Run. From. Shotgun. You think the Patriots didn't figure that out? Look at the totals on those four 1st & 10 runs as the quarter progressed:

2 yds

1 yd

1 yd

-1 yd

Every. Single. Second. Down. Was. A. Long. Pass. Downfield. These are all 2nd and long situations with a 4Q lead. Goals are either: bleed clock or set up 3rd and manageable. Instead, look at the distance of these passes:

20 yds

20 yds

35 yds

17 yds

So now on 3rd and long, with a stopped clock, what do the Jaguars do? 100% pass, only 1 was complete. The punt following that pass was snapped w 6 seconds on play clock. The others were punted w stopped clock. No passes resulted in 1st down. *3 punts in 4Q with a lead*

The Jaguars had 6 snaps in the 4th quarter, with a moving clock & a lead (if you include the 1 punt). They NEVER ran the play clock to even 5 seconds, let alone inside 5 seconds. 4 of the 6 snaps were with 9-13 seconds on the play clock.

We've got it all here. Poor situational awareness (clock management). Highly predictable play calling. Inferior play calling. The Jags can say they were "playing to win" with the 2nd down deep shots on 100% of 2nd downs, but that is not how you "really" win in this situation.

So there you go. Same old Maronne.  Same old Hackett. 

The Jags got to where they are mostly because of a great defense that occasionally disappeared. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Pats adjust on a drive to drive basis. Its that simple. They started making adjustments after they were down 7-3.  After halftime how many times did jacksonville cross the goal line? None. 

The Jags abandoned the option routes that allowed Grant to have such an impact. I'm not an offensive coordinator but I'd imagine the idea is to expose the other parts of the defense once they adjust to the RB. Never got a chance to do it because someone on that sideline decides to pound and run vertical routes.

It amazes me these coaches get paid millions and don't understand simple football concepts like clock management. Just crazy.....

2 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Played not to lose and it cost them. They had it and just gave it away. 

We have seen this before all year long from our team. That drives me flipping nuts.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, CDogg20 said:

Played not to lose and it cost them. They had it and just gave it away. 

Actually, I don't think this is the case.  They were still throwing the ball down the field.  They were throwing twenty plus yards down field.  They had no creativity in their playcalling, especially on first down.  It's not that they played not to lose. 

Pick your poison. Marrone and Hackett played to not lose in afc championship. Ryan and the Falcons played to win in last years Super Bowl. Both lost. There must be a balance somewhere, but if you don’t win you will  be questioned..

Edited by Cruiserplayer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Pick your poison. Marrone and Hackett played to not lose in afc championship. Ryan and the Falcons played to win in last years Super Bowl. Both lost. There must be a balance somewhere, but if you don’t win you will  be questioned..

good point.   although in the Falcs case they only had to Not Lose yards once they got to the patriots 21 yard line up a touchdown deep into the 4th quarter. 

In marrone's case they still had to gain yards and move the chains.  The other major fault was the ridiculous clutching and grabbing by the Jags Dbacks, it almost cost them the Pitt game in penalties, and it did cost them the Pats game. 

They mauled the receivers every play and it cost them massive chunks of yardage.   Poor coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1

Blame Hackett for the poor play calling in the second half.

Marrone had clock management issues for sure, but he may have allowed Hackett to call the O plays. Marrone's fault, as it was when with the Bills, was his liking and allegiance to Hackett. Unfortunately, he did not learn his lesson and took him to Jacksonville as well. I wont be surprised if Coughlin puts his foot down and orders Marrone to fire Hackett. 

However, Marrone certainly did pretty good for the overall season. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago