Deep dive into Jags 4th qtr play calling in AFC Championship (Yikes)

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yup. Tried re-loading but didn't help.

Last year my office changed to an open office style (which I hate as much as I hate the Pat's**) and hence began doing my web activities in the tablet instead of my PC. 

Does your company block twitter over their user sessions? Mine does, and I have the same issue.

3 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Guessing it was HEAVILY influenced by Dougy.

That would be a real shame, they were lights out on offense in the first half.

What I took from that game was New England's defense is NOT good. So you don't need to turtle against them with a lead, stay aggressive and give your defense a chance to pin their ears back as time gets short. Once Jacksonville went passive on offense it gave the initiative back to the Pats offense, which in turn made the Jags defense reactionary and wore them down...and it all trickled back to crap playcalling and not understanding the flow of the game. All too familiar with a Marrone/Hackett unit.

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yup. Tried re-loading but didn't help.

Last year my office changed to an open office style (which I hate as much as I hate the Pat's**) and hence began doing my web activities in the tablet instead of my PC. 

Try this ...

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/955454941073731584

Click on “show this thread” underneath his first tweet

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeh, solid analysis. I watched the first half in awe of how much Hackett's playcalling and situational awareness had improved, then the second half wore on and I said to myself 'yep, that's the OC I remember.'

Same here.  Was also very similar to the Bills' attempts to hold leads this year.  In both cases, it's hard to truly know how much of that is on the playcaller (Hackett/Rico) and how much is on the conservative head coach (Marrone/McDermott).  For me, the damning part is not being conservative, it's being hyper-predictable.  Every 1st down for the Jags was a run from shotgun.  If those were working, that's okay, but they weren't.  So do something else.

If a coach can only protect a lead with players that get him 4 yards a carry even when the defense knows it's coming, that coach is worthless at protecting leads.  You or I could win in that situation.

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeh, solid analysis. I watched the first half in awe of how much Hackett's playcalling and situational awareness had improved, then the second half wore on and I said to myself 'yep, that's the OC I remember.'

I attribute that to more Marrone's conservative nature than Hackett. I remember when they were coaching for the Bills, players would say they had all these plays drawn up and how creative Hackett was but then they never ended up using these plays they practiced during the game. I question how much play calling power Hackett has to begin with.

Edited by billieve420

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Same. I was impressed with the first half play (and attitude) they showed but I figured the fetal position play calling and punting was coming and it did. They really could have won that game, but coaches were scared, timid when it mattered  

great work here!!!

teams that know they are weaker hope for the clock to run out or a run of good luck to hang on, but it rarely happens

and if they had gambled and tossed it away it would have looked a lot worse

Nantz brought up running the clock but Romo quickly dumped on that thought, but what were the Jags gonna do...

The Jags and Falcons offenses (rightfully) take a ton of blame for the Super Bowl and AFC title game, but when are really good defenses going to stop giving Brady these prevent D's in late game situations?  The Jags looked like they had the Pats O figured out, the Pats were going to several trick plays to try to gain chunks of yardage, then the defense just backed down and let Brady do his work with guys underneath.  If Brady beats you on a 50 yard bomb it's one thing, but you can't sit back and let him get 3-5 yards a play and hope he screws up, because he will not.

It was similar in the Super Bowl, Brady was getting hit over and over again, then the Falcons switched to prevent D and let him kill them with a thousand James White passes.

Ouch. That’s rough Hackett

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Wait so you want to try and run the clock out with 14 minutes left in the 4th? 

Extremely overly critical IMO. Getting on the guy for snapping the ball with 8 seconds left on the play clock with over 13 minutes left in the 4th is extreme.

Under 5 minutes up 3 I get. 

It’s a little critical for sure, but there’s no need to snap it with 13 seconds left. Especially when you have Tom Brady on the other side.

Not saying you have to snap it at 1, but should be around 5 seconds.

Got to shorten the game as much as you can when you play great QBs

It can mean the difference of an extra possession for them 

Edited by billsfan11

This is something I worry about with McDermott. Seems like we did the same thing type of thing this year in 2nd halves. 

It's been showing that to beat Brady you be aggressive. Teams keep doing this and then they stop...Oh, we got 10-14 points of them...now we slow them down by playing a different defense than what got us 10-14 points up on them...this plan could only come from a Very Stable Genius! 

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Not sure the clock actually hurt them there.  Patriots took the lead with what... 3 minutes left?  You would've run the clock out on yourself.  

You have to go into that 4th quarter knowing you need to score points.  FG is a win, a TD can probably ice it.  

Watching the 4th quarter you knew Jacksonville needed to get north of 24 points to win it.  It was an all around failure to close them out.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Watching the 4th quarter you knew Jacksonville needed to get north of 24 points to win it.  It was an all around failure to close them out.

At least if you put 3 up, you win with a last second field goal on your final drive.  You could really tell that they didn't have the playmakers to make any plays in man coverage though.  They played more man, and more pressure in the 2nd half.  Bortles wasn't getting those lanes to take off and run that he had the last 2 weeks, and he was off just enough to miss a bunch of opportunities.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I do wonder what happens if DD Westbrook doesn't fall down on the play he burnt Gilmore on.  It gained 29 yards with him getting back up and running, but if he doesn't slip it could have been one on one against a safety in the open field for him.

One of those backshoulder throws gilmore gets beat on - he loves playing under on man coverage but when he's late like that he gets exposed.

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

At least if you put 3 up, you win with a last second field goal on your final drive.  You could really tell that they didn't have the playmakers to make any plays in man coverage though.  They played more man, and more pressure in the 2nd half.  Bortles wasn't getting those lanes to take off and run that he had the last 2 weeks, and he was off just enough to miss a bunch of opportunities.

The sack / fumble Bortles took on their last drive was brutal.  He gets rid of it there and they could still have a shot at a ~55 yard FG and onside kick with 3 timeouts.

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

You have to get 3rd and close, so you can get a better 4th down try than 4th and forever.

Belichick got Carroll to pee his pants with the game completely in his hand, can't blame the Jags for folding in the clutch.

Just now, row_33 said:

Belichick got Carroll to pee his pants with the game completely in his hand, can't blame the Jags for folding in the clutch.

You have to at least get them going side to side.  The run calls were just brutal.  In the 4th quarter the motion timing was bad, they didnt do much under center either where its easier to get them on a misdirection, or get a reverse going.