Bills 2018 Mock Draft Watch

The only guy I see them trading up for is Darnold. If Cleveland goes with Rosen/Mayfield/Allen at #1, I could see some combo of #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick & Cordy Glenn in exchange for #2. Gentleman has history with Beane & McDermott in Carolina, and we’re the only team with two 1st round picks in 2018. And The Giants have a major need at Left Tackle. 

But if Cleveland takes Darnold #1, I see the Bills staying at 21 & 22 and taking a guy like Rudolph. 

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Very fair.

I'm not as concerned as you are, but I also can't argue those points, as they are legit, and it really is perception on the degree to which they affect things.

I think a lot of people view him as a Jay Cutler, amazing arm and talent, but questions about his leadership, personality (as a teammate, as well as towards the media), and his "football desire" all remind many of Jay.

The last one is definitely a big possible issue, as somebody who isn't mentally committed to football could run into on the field issues (not caring if they win or lose, which generally means less practice time, and this indifferent attitude can affect teammates)

All valid concerns.

I think Mayfield is a gamer, and not just wants to win, but hates losing, and those are two very different things.

Everybody wants to win.

Not everybody has that visceral hatred for losing, which is something you see in all the greats in every sport (Jordan, Kobe, Brady, etc).

It's a very distinct difference, and I fully agree that Rosen might not fit that mold.

Agreed.

I Think Mayfield 's OC took the ball out his hands in the championship game which was weird and took some luster off him.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Does he have the same consistent knack for improvisation that Vick does? 

I've seen his draft stock everywhere from top 5 to mid 2nd round. Why does that fluctuate as much? 

Also, what's the competition like for a school like Louisville? I know Bridgewater came from there and that the football program seems to be putting out some decent guys lately, but I don't know much about it. 

See, I'd rather have the pure passion of a Mayfield over the pure talent of a Rosen (if it's true that he isn't committed) 

I don't disagree, but desire can only get you so far,I think baker will be good though!!

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Agreed.

I Think Mayfield 's OC took the ball out his hands in the championship game which was weird and took some luster off him.

Yeah that was really weird.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Maybe. I'm not as sure on him as I am with Rosen.

Rosen has had more "pro" experience but I think Mayfield 's 4 years as a starter and his ability to run and pick up offense make him a day one starter. I really think he can do what Watson did last year and with OC s catering more to what college QBs do I believe he can be a homerun.

15 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree, but desire can only get you so far,I think baker will be good though!!

Yeah, but he has enough talent to make up for it. I think this honestly goes back to Tim Tebow for a minute. That guy had all the passion in the world and essentially single handedly put the Broncos in the playoffs and won a playoff game (better than any bills QB for 20 yrs). But at the end of the day, there were issues in his game that were not fixable and his success was not sustainable (though I always did feel he deserved a bit more of a chance than he got).

Mayfield has the talent to go with the passion. His biggest detraction is his size but I see that as a non-factor in a world with Russel Wilson playing how he does (not to compare them play wise, only size wise.) 

Rosen is going to be a pure thrower who stands in the pocket and beats you like Peyton Manning. The problem is is that the reason that worked for Manning was cause he knew what you were thinking before you thought it (except in the Superbowls) because he had studied the tape so much and knew the game so well. He put in the work. If people are questioning Rosen's desire they are by extension questioning his work ethic (say what you will, but no human works 70 hour weeks for what they aren't passionate about) and that's a dangerous combination. 

I'm at a weird point with this drat where I actually trust the Bills staff to make a wise move... Almost as if the Maybin over Orakpo has worn off after all these years. (I know that's only an isolated incident, but that was the first time the Bills broke my heart draft-wise) 

I think I would be okay with just about any of the 6 guys that are potential first rounders if Bean and McD think they're the best option for us. 

Mayfield is my preference, Allen is my second. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, but he has enough talent to make up for it. I think this honestly goes back to Tim Tebow for a minute. That guy had all the passion in the world and essentially single handedly put the Broncos in the playoffs and won a playoff game (better than any bills QB for 20 yrs). But at the end of the day, there were issues in his game that were not fixable and his success was not sustainable (though I always did feel he deserved a bit more of a chance than he got).

Mayfield has the talent to go with the passion. His biggest detraction is his size but I see that as a non-factor in a world with Russel Wilson playing how he does (not to compare them play wise, only size wise.) 

Rosen is going to be a pure thrower who stands in the pocket and beats you like Peyton Manning. The problem is is that the reason that worked for Manning was cause he knew what you were thinking before you thought it (except in the Superbowls) because he had studied the tape so much and knew the game so well. He put in the work. If people are questioning Rosen's desire they are by extension questioning his work ethic (say what you will, but no human works 70 hour weeks for what they aren't passionate about) and that's a dangerous combination. 

I'm at a weird point with this drat where I actually trust the Bills staff to make a wise move... Almost as if the Maybin over Orakpo has worn off after all these years. (I know that's only an isolated incident, but that was the first time the Bills broke my heart draft-wise) 

I think I would be okay with just about any of the 6 guys that are potential first rounders if Bean and McD think they're the best option for us. 

Mayfield is my preference, Allen is my second. 

All valid!.

This is a good discussion!

I like Rosen, I think his desire is fine.

I think it's all opinion at this point though.

I like Rosen and Mayfield best

12 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Curious on this - why Allen? 

To be honest, half of it is prejudice-- I used to live in Wyoming and I like the idea of the small school kid getting some props. 

Aside from that, I just like the intangibles. I think he's got the highest ceiling of anyone. Accuracy issues worry me, but I've seen some nice throws from him. 

Rosen I hesitate with because of the attitude (which all may be completely irrelevant for all I know) and because of lack of mobility. While I like the throwback to the era of great Qb's that stood tall and picked you apart with their arm, I think we're in a league where you have to be really really good to succeed in that game anymore. 

Darnold I have just never really seen anything to get on the hype train. I am just some armchair GM so it could be 100% bunk but I don't see anything that I love. He seems to play kind of chaotic and he moves good in the pocket but I don't see any real poise (again, limited knowledge) from him. He's also from USC and I have never been a huge fan of that program and the QB's that come from there (Mostly Sanchez).  

The reason I like Mayfield the most is because he's the one I see to have the "it" factor of Russel Willson or Carson Wentz types where he's just going to go win it no matter what he has to do. His size does bother me some and I don't know about arm strength, but I think it's rare you get someone with all the body and the "it"- That to me is what makes Carson Wentz so phenomenal... Just a guy you sit back and watch and end up smiling. 

That is all my opinion. Please feel free to discredit everything about it. I am supported by Youtube videos, reading others opinions, and my own personal view of how the NFL works and nothing more. :)

P.s.- All that to say that if any of those four trot out in the red, blue, and white next year I will be convinced they are the next MVP until I see otherwise. 

I'm mostly just excited for an offseason that actually feels like it matters for the first time sine we signed Mario Williams. 

Edited by whatdrought

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

To be honest, half of it is prejudice-- I used to live in Wyoming and I like the idea of the small school kid getting some props. 

Aside from that, I just like the intangibles. I think he's got the highest ceiling of anyone. Accuracy issues worry me, but I've seen some nice throws from him. 

Rosen I hesitate with because of the attitude (which all may be completely irrelevant for all I know) and because of lack of mobility. While I like the throwback to the era of great Qb's that stood tall and picked you apart with their arm, I think we're in a league where you have to be really really good to succeed in that game anymore. 

Darnold I have just never really seen anything to get on the hype train. I am just some armchair GM so it could be 100% bunk but I don't see anything that I love. He seems to play kind of chaotic and he moves good in the pocket but I don't see any real poise (again, limited knowledge) from him. He's also from USC and I have never been a huge fan of that program and the QB's that come from there (Mostly Sanchez).  

The reason I like Mayfield the most is because he's the one I see to have the "it" factor of Russel Willson or Carson Wentz types where he's just going to go win it no matter what he has to do. His size does bother me some and I don't know about arm strength, but I think it's rare you get someone with all the body and the "it"- That to me is what makes Carson Wentz so phenomenal... Just a guy you sit back and watch and end up smiling. 

That is all my opinion. Please feel free to discredit everything about it. I am supported by Youtube videos, reading others opinions, and my own personal view of how the NFL works and nothing more. :)

P.s.- All that to say that if any of those four trot out in the red, blue, and white next year I will be convinced they are the next MVP until I see otherwise. 

I'm mostly just excited for an offseason that actually feels like it matters for the first time sine we signed Mario Williams. 

I wasn't being a jerk btw; I was just curious if there was something I was missing

Allen just scares the hell out of me as a prospect, his accuracy concerns me a lot...

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I wasn't being a jerk btw; I was just curious if there was something I was missing

Allen just scares the hell out of me as a prospect, his accuracy concerns me a lot...

Didn't think you were at all. 

Honestly, that's entirely possibly warranted. I don't know that much about him and I haven't seen all that much tape. 

55 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Allen scared me too at first glance when seeing the 50% completion percentage vs the 70% for Mayfield. Then I took a closer look at the teams surrounding both players and Allen played on a very bad team this past season with receivers that dropped a ton of balls. The guy was running for his life in games against superior teams.

Then I watched him in that second half of the senior bowl and he disproved everything bad the scouts were saying about him. He threw the ball with accuracy and touch and he shed sackers like Big Ben does. I came away thinking that this kid should be a top-five pick in this upcoming draft.

Mel Kiper has Allen listed as the first player overall to be selected in his recent mock draft. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insider/story/_/id/22134110/nfl-mock-draft-2018-mel-kiper-first-round-pick-rankings-draft-order

I really don't see Beane throwing together a package to move up for a QB.  Just too many roster holes to package up 3+ top 100 picks for 1 player (even if it is the most important one).  It'd take 3+ to get up high enough to grab one of the big names.  Unless you can use a Cordy in place of one of those picks...  but even then I just don't see it.  Moving up 15+ picks to get a top 5 pick would be very expensive in draft capital.

If someone they like falls down to 10-15, I could see a move for that.

Edited by MTBill

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Allen scared me too at first glance when seeing the 50% completion percentage vs the 70% for Mayfield. Then I took a closer look at the teams surrounding both players and Allen played on a very bad team this past season with receivers that dropped a ton of balls. The guy was running for his life in games against superior teams.

Then I watched him in that second half of the senior bowl and he disproved everything bad the scouts were saying about him. He threw the ball with accuracy and touch and he shed sackers like Big Ben does. I came away thinking that this kid should be a top-five pick in this upcoming draft.

Mel Kiper has Allen listed as the first player overall to be selected in his recent mock draft. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insider/story/_/id/22134110/nfl-mock-draft-2018-mel-kiper-first-round-pick-rankings-draft-order

So that should just about sink him as a prospect then- right? LOL (Joke)

Not that I subscribe to everything he says, but I do tend to agree with this and I just cannot get my self comfortable with him as a prospect:

Greg Gabriel @greggabe Jan 23
Lot of people getting all hot and bothered over Josh Allen at Sr Bowl. I’ll say one thing.... remember Kyle Boller.... Allen is the reincarnation of Boller. All hype... no production
Greg Gabriel @greggabe
The Josh Allen lovers can love but fact is no QB in last 12-14 years with completion % as low as Allen has had success in NFL. Most end up as very average backups or outright busts. Can’t argue w/facts

Greg Gabriel @greggabe
The feeling of many of my NFL friends on Josh Allen...”stay in school, not worth more than a mid round pick at this time”

Also:

Strong Points –
Size, arm strength, overall athleticism and speed. Can make plays with his feet. Flashes top skills. Streak thrower who can make all the required throws when he is on his game.

Weak Points –
Very overrated by media. Plays poorly when up against better competition (Nebraska – ’16, Iowa – ’17). Doesn’t handle or react to pressure well. Poor accuracy, has completed only 56% of his throws over the last two seasons in a weak defensive league. Ball placement is very average. Lacks instincts. Not a quick processor and can be slow to go through a progression. Production fell off in 2017 when he only threw 13 TD passes. Missed last two games of the year with a shoulder injury.

Summation –
Junior College transfer. Played one year at the JC level before transferring to Wyoming following the 2015 season. Has been a starter at Wyoming the last two years. Many Draft analysts had him as the top QB in the 2018 class going into the 2017 college season, which was way off. Has ideal size, arm strength and athleticism but it ends there. Will flash the ability to make the big throw but can’t do it with any consistency. Fact remains, there has never been a QB in recent memory with such a low completion percentage who has ever had success in the NFL. Will probably get drafted high because of his physical traits but the people who draft him are risking their careers. Is similar to other high hype QB’s during the Draft season that didn’t pan out. Some of those include Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Kyle Boller.

Edited by Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

So that should just about sink him as a prospect then- right? LOL

:lol: Yeah, Kiper stinks.

Although, McShay also has the kid going early at #6 to the NY Jets (if they don't sign Cousins). I still think the kid doesn't last past #5 with Denver. 

I think as time moves forward to the combine, pro days and draft Josh Allen will climb those draft charts as scouts really look at what he did this past year and the talent on the team he was on. I can't wait to see the value Mike Mayock puts on the kid.

In any event, I don't see Allen getting past the Cards at #15. So, if he is still on the board at #12 when the Bengals pick I'd think the Buffalo Bills would be smart to move up to get him. I also think Miami might start drooling over him with their #11 pick if he is still there. 

Just now, Nihilarian said:

:lol: Yeah, Kiper stinks.

Although, McShay also has the kid going early at #6 to the NY Jets (if they don't sign Cousins). I still think the kid doesn't last past #5 with Denver. 

I think as time moves forward to the combine, pro days and draft Josh Allen will climb those draft charts as scouts really look at what he did this past year and the talent on the team he was on. I can't wait to see the value Mike Mayock puts on the kid.

In any event, I don't see Allen getting past the Cards at #15. So, if he is still on the board at #12 when the Bengals pick I'd think the Buffalo Bills would be smart to move up to get him. I also think Miami might start drooling over him with their #11 pick if he is still there. 

I edited btw...

I am really looking forward to the start of the new year through training camp this year - this should gives us a much clearer picture as to where this team is going. Can't wait to see what happens on 3/16 with trades, cuts etc., FA, what the draft brings and how the roster is shaped after the draft....