If the Bills want to move up, what’s the best way?

Virgil

I’m not saying the Bills are going to move up or predict who they will take. I’m just curious to know what the process and best way to do it is. 

In post draft interviews, I heard the Bills and Chiefs talked before the draft about a potential trade, depending on how players fell. 

Will the Bills have preliminary deals with teams going into the draft?  Do most teams do that to have their bases covered?

If player A is available at pick 7, then we already have the basic structure of a deal with example team. Then it’s just a phone call. 

Or do most deals happen in the moment?

I also wonder when the best time to make the deal is.  If you have a certain player you want, then you can’t really make the deal too far in advance, because you don’t know what will happen and who will rise and fall. 

I think about the RGIII situation, but I think the Redskins were happy with either QB.  

I find these processes interesting and would love to be behind the scenes to see how they transpire. 

For me, I think I reach out to teams 1-10, see who’s interested in trading, and if they are looking to go off the value chart or want a kings ransom. Overall, just gauge the trade market and then make decisions in the moment. 

It’s obviously hard when everyone is trying to bluff their position to create value and you don’t want to lose your guy because you lost a staring contest. 

Best example is Chicago having to trade up one spot to get Trubisky last year.  

Yeah, that’s a lot of thoughts in no real order, I know. 

I love draft prep

Edited by Virgil

Open a dry cleaner.  Then we can move to a deluxe apartment in the sky.. (Jefferson's reference sorry)

Lots of options, I'd hold on to the picks unless they can get Darnold I think the rest are crap shoots.  

I think it might be packaging both our firsts, a second, Cordy Glenn and a future 4th to Indianapolis. 

That probably gets you a shot at Baker Mayfield. Depending what the Giants do (I think it is increasingly likely they don't go QB) it might get you a shot at Darnold. If Mel Kiper is right - he isn't - it gets you Josh Rosen. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not saying the Bills are going to move up or predict who they will take. I’m just curious to know what the process and best way to do it is. 

In post draft interviews, I heard the Bills and Chiefs talked before the draft about a potential trade, depending on how players fell. 

Will the Bills have preliminary deals with teams going into the draft?  Do most teams do that to have their bases covered?

If player A is available at pick 7, then we already have the basic structure of a deal with example team. Then it’s just a phone call. 

Or do most deals happen in the moment?

I also wonder when the best time to make the deal is.  If you have a certain player you want, then you can’t really make the deal too far in advance, because you don’t know what will happen and who will rise and fall. 

I think about the RGIII situation, but I think the Redskins were happy with either QB.  

I find these processes interesting and would love to be behind the scenes to see how they transpire. 

For me, I think I reach out to teams 1-10, see who’s interested in trading, and if they are looking to go off the value chart or want a kings ransom. Overall, just gauge the trade market and then make decisions in the moment. 

It’s obviously hard when everyone is trying to bluff their position to create value and you don’t want to lose your guy because you lost a staring contest. 

Best example is Chicago having to trade up one spot to get Trubisky last year.  

Yeah, that’s a lot of thoughts in no real order, I know. 

I love draft prep

I read many articles on this from former HC/GM's, NFL networks Daniel Jeremiah has talked about the whole process and how teams converse pretty much when they are knocked out of playoffs or contention, some teams talk mid season. Bucky Brooks and Michael Lombardi talked about it also, It would be a blast to see how it all transpires since I'm a big nerd for all that stuff. From what I gathered from listening to mostly Jeremiah, he said most deals are talked about way before the draft starts, around mid season he said they would get calls from other teams about draft pick availability, if the player/players they want weren't there etc.

I think the best time to make a deal is when you already have a QB and you know the other team on the other line is desperate for one, we havent been in that boat for quite some time but it must be nice for teams like New England, Pittsburgh etc. Good stuff man, I love the draft and doing 80 something mock drafts before it hits, my buddy has a mock draft website on wix, it's pretty sweet.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i think the best way to move up would be to sprint to the podium before anyone else gets there and yell "DIBS!"

and if that doesn't work, i would try a trade.

Your logic is undeniable

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

Best thing for Bills to do if they want to move up is hire a detective.  Have that detective investigate Jimmy Haslam and find some dirt feds have not found and let Jimmy know for the right trade the info would go into the trash.  But the Pegulas will not go that route due to ethics; surprised the P*ts super spy has not done it already.

IMO they will be up to something.

They didn't acquire another 1st round pick, in a QB heavy draft to just get another 1st round pick. IMO they got that pick with intentions to move up on draft day for a QB.

Edited by PeterGriffin

Schefter and Mort were just on ESPN.  They said Eli had a great meeting with Gettleman and what came out of it was that they need to fix the run game and O line.  Gettleman believes Eli can still play and he has even looked at QB prospects.

In saying that, would you trade McCoy, Glenn and both 1sts for 2nd Overall?

I honestly feel the only qb worthy of a trade up would be Darnold @ 4. It would mean Cleveland took either Allen or Rosen. I know this scenario is very unlikely but if this doesn't happen then pray Rudolph drops to 21. And all the scenarios have to include us getting a Alex Smith, Cousins etc....Do NOT trade up for a LB.

16 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

IMO they will be up to something.

They didn't acquire another 1st round pick, in a QB heavy draft to just get another 1st round pick. IMO they got that pick with intentions to move up on draft day for a QB.

I also don't think thye planned on drafting 21st or making the playoffs.

Makes trading up a little more difficult/expensive...

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Start a dry cleaning business.

LOL.. I was going to go with a Jefferson's reference myself. Well done sir

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin' just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues
Gettin' our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it's you and me baby
There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Read more: Tv Theme - The Jeffersons Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1