Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

...From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

Sounds to me that he would be a perfect fit.  I hope McBean will find a way to make this happen!

Edited by cd1

38 minutes ago, Magox said:

If we are able to get him for around the $25 million a year range, you do it.  But I doubt that we would be able to get him for that price, he will have a lot of suitors lined up and QB's as good as Cousins very rarely hit the open market.  So there will be a lot of interest for him.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets closer to $30 M a year and I think he'll probably end up in Denver.

The next best option would be Smith, not quite as good as Cousins, but he's a good smart QB.  He'll lead you to the playoffs and a team that will consistently win.  Could be had at a much cheaper price and you could still be looking for your young franchise QB while you have a good QB at the helm.

I am starting to think that he may go to Cleveland for an insane amount of money. They can hand him a blank check, take Barkley at 1 and trade down from pick 4. They already have 3 second round picks to go along with it.

14 hours ago, MDH said:

Of course he's not special. If he was special they would have paid him like he was. He's a top 10 QB but not in the tier of Brady, Rodgers and Brees. I don't think anybody is disputing that. That being said, he's much better than "slightly above average" that a poster above wants to paint him as.

I don't know if he's worth the contract he's going to get but he's one of the best QBs in the league and you can defiantly win with him if the other pieces are in place. Granted, as mentioned in the article, a huge contract my prohibit having the cash to put the rest of the team around him.

This is spot on.  He's at least as good as Smith, Dalton, and Flacco, and definitely better than supposed "franchise QBs" like Tannehill, Mariota, and some other former first round picks.  Like all QBs, he needs at least a decent team around him, and he hasn't had that in Washington.  Phillip Rivers hasn't led the Chargers to a playoff win in like 8 or 9 years, and has only one win in a playoff game in his career.  Is that all on him?   What about Matthew Stafford's failure to get the Lions into the playoffs with regularity?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I am starting to think that he may go to Cleveland for an insane amount of money. They can hand him a blank check, take Barkley at 1 and trade down from pick 4. They already have 3 second round picks to go along with it.

I think that would be a great move for the Browns.  They are like the Rams what laid dormant stockpiling talent and then it just all came together at once

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that would be a great move for the Browns.  They are like the Rams what laid dormant stockpiling talent and then it just all came together at once

I think that it makes a ton of sense too. They started the process last year and added 1 monster and a bunch more talent. They can do the same this year. They will also have an ungodly amount of draft capital to target certain guys if they want. As an example, if they love Roquan Smith, they can just go get him.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it makes a ton of sense too. They started the process last year and added 1 monster and a bunch more talent. They can do the same this year. They will also have an ungodly amount of draft capital to target certain guys if they want. As an example, if they love Roquan Smith, they can just go get him.

Agreed.

Cousins is definately a qb you can build a team around.I think with his work ethic he is only going to get better.Bills lose the TT contract I think they would be able to afford a 27 million qb contract and stay competitive no problem.Rookies do not get the big un proven contracts like they used to...Go Bills!!

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Cleveland would instantly be a much better team.  That would make sense for them.

which do you want ?

$30 mil/yr  Top 10

$25 mil/yr  Top 15

$20 mil/yr  Top 20

$15 mil/yr  Top 25

$10 mil/yr  Top 30

cousins may NOT be available.....he could still be tagged by wash

your just NOT fixing the QB problem without overpaying in free agency or taking a huge risk of the unknown via the draft.

if cousins is avail, then he probably deserves carr money $25 mil......but i'd pay $30 mil  just to fix my QB problem because there are far too few options.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, papazoid said:

which do you want ?

$30 mil/yr  Top 10

$25 mil/yr  Top 15

$20 mil/yr  Top 20

$15 mil/yr  Top 25

$10 mil/yr  Top 30

your just NOT fixing the QB problem without overpaying in free agency or taking a huge risk of the unknown via the draft.

if cousins is avail, then he probably deserves carr money $25 mil......but i'd pay $30 mil  just to fix my QB problem because there are far too few options.

While it's too early to say exactly how close the Bills are to the 2018 salary cap, it's clear they've come a long way already under GM Brandon Beane.

2zyg3gn.jpg
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

18 minutes ago, Magox said:

Cleveland would instantly be a much better team.  That would make sense for them.

I threw it out in another thread but they could take 21,22 and 53 from us for 4. The Bills can get Darnold/Rosen. The Browns would then have Cousins, Barkley, 2 more 1st round picks and 4 2nd round picks. That’s insane.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Wasn’t McCloughan the GM Cousins went right up into his face after a great Washington win and basically yelled at?

oh yeah!

here it is.

“After his 375 passing yards and three touchdowns helped the Redskins beat the Green Bay Packers 42-24, the veteran QB tracked down general manager Scot McCloughan and screamed a bold message into his ear.”

“How you like me now?!”

lol.  Keep up the good work Mr. McCloughan.  ? 

I really like that kind of drive. Get it, Kirk.

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

which do you want ?

$30 mil/yr  Top 10

$25 mil/yr  Top 15

$20 mil/yr  Top 20

$15 mil/yr  Top 25

$10 mil/yr  Top 30

Such an interesting question!! I guess that it depends on your roster. The Colts stink but have a top 10 $30M QB. Denver has a good roster and has a cheap QB that isn’t top 30. Both teams are picking in the top 5 (although Luck was hurt). 

For our situation, I’d pay a QB whatever if he was the right guy. We don’t have a ton of high priced talent elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Such an interesting question!! I guess that it depends on your roster. The Colts stink but have a top 10 $30M QB. Denver has a good roster and has a cheap QB that isn’t top 30. Both teams are picking in the top 5 (although Luck was hurt). 

For our situation, I’d pay a QB whatever if he was the right guy. We don’t have a ton of high priced talent elsewhere.

ten highest cap hits:

OVERPAID - TT (18.0), Glenn (14.4), Hughes (10.4), Clay (9.0), Benjamin (8.5)

EARNING THEIR  KEEP  - shady (8.9), Richie (7.6), wood (8.6), hyde (6.8), poyer (3.4)

30 minutes ago, papazoid said:

ten highest cap hits:

OVERPAID - TT (18.0), Glenn (14.4), Hughes (10.4), Clay (9.0), Benjamin (8.5)

EARNING THEIR  KEEP  - shady (8.9), Richie (7.6), wood (8.6), hyde (6.8), poyer (3.4)

I’d slide Wood to overpaid but other than that it’s fair. A lot of it is position based though. The Bills 3 highest cap hits are QB, LT and pass rusher. I’d bet that’s the case with a lot of teams.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Right?

Drew Brees in 2016, 37 tds = no playoffs

Drew Brees in 2017, 23 tds = playoffs

Oh thats right, he had a running game and defense this year. 

Yeah, the Saints are the ultimate example to everyone that says “QB is all that matters.” Drew Brees throws for 5k every year and they win 7 games. They get balance and a defense and win a good division. 

Obviously QB is the most important position in sports but you need way more than that to win. Ask the Colts or Packers

• Like (+1) 2