Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, but again, you're excusing Cousins' poor record because he plays a tough schedule with a less than talented team. Well what are the Bills outside our secondary? 

Isn't the whole point of getting the magical franchise QB is finding someone who elevates his team? 

To your overall point, I agree. He’s a better version of Tyrod but nowhere near Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, etc. That makes getting your QB via the Draft all the more paramount to changing the destiny of the Bills next year and for the next 10 years.

It is an intersting dilema.  Teams that are a qb away do not have enough room for a 20 to 30 mil cap hit for a qb.  When you pay Cousins that amount of money your roster is going to suffer.  Is he a qb that will push his team through with less than ideal circumstances.  Its a legitament question.  He hasnt shown that with the redskins.  

• Like (+1) 1

Of course this is correct. And the problem is Cousins wants to be paid like special. He isn't going to get a deal that is just the next step on from Matthew Stafford (who is a better Quarterback) he is going to get a deal that blows Stafford out of the water. 

I still think backing up the trucks for him would be the wrong move. I am also still extremely confident he does not end up in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Our QB was 30th in the league in passing that year, how can the same be said? 

I don't know, maybe if our D didn't give up so many doggone points we could have won more games? Lilke maybe the Fish Games. Offense scored  25+ points in 5 of the losses. 

I was responding to this statement: " but you have to look at the Redskins as a whole, if the defense matched the offensive production wouldn't they be a playoff and beyond team?"

you don't think statement applies to 2016 team? What does passing yards have to do with it?

Edited by reddogblitz

he's a top ten QB I don't see what the issue is and when the 49ers tag  Garapallo the QB market will be shifted up

SMH at all these comments that Taylor is somewhat comparable to Cousins

Sign cousins you then have your picks to add pieces with all these FA's

Trade up for a QB you have a coin flip if that QB will work out and no pieces

pretty simple decision

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Of course he doesn't. Him and Snyder are the reason Cousin is going to be available. Using a McCloughan quote on Cousins is laughable. 

Have you seen this guy's drafts, either with the Niners or Washington? He doesn't see special period.

Are u kidding me? SM can flat out draft . Did u see the team he built in Seattle or do u forget he was a huge part of drafting those 49er teams . This guy has drafted mutiple hofers after the 4th rd.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Are u kidding me? SM can flat out draft . Did u see the team he built in Seattle or do u forget he was a huge part of drafting those 49er teams . This guy has drafted mutiple hofers after the 4th rd.

I think that had more to do with Pete Carroll who was an ex-secondary coach who drafted a prototype defensive back player, height, speed and coached them up into his scheme.

As far as Cousins goes, doesn't his work ethic remind anyone else of Peyton Manning? Sounds to me like the guy is special. if you can get the guy for 20-24 mill per it solves the problem of finding that very elusive franchise QB.  Which allows the team to spend the six picks in the first three rounds on building a better roster.

For 2018 Tyrod will make 18 mill per, Alex Smith will make 20 mill per. Stafford is the highest paid QB at 26.5 mill per. For Effs sake Chicago paid Mike Glennon 14 mill per in 2017. 

Look at that 2017 Redskins team, bad defense, no run game, lousy receiver corps and the Redskins still beat the Rams at LA, the Seahawks at Seattle. Looks to me like the guy carried a bad team to a 7-9 record with 4093 yards passing, 27 TDs. BTW, where is SM currently working 

Edited by Nihilarian

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, but again, you're excusing Cousins' poor record because he plays a tough schedule with a less than talented team. Well what are the Bills outside our secondary? 

Isn't the whole point of getting the magical franchise QB is finding someone who elevates his team? 

Feel like you may be missing my point here.  You specifically asked why Cousins record is worse than Tyrods.  I made my point in correlation to that question and that question only.  Cousins isnt a great quarterback he is just good.  Tyrod is a way below average quarterback who should be a backup.

Edited by thenorthremembers

4 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

he's a top ten QB I don't see what the issue is and when the 49ers tag  Garapallo the QB market will be shifted up

SMH at all these comments that Taylor is somewhat comparable to Cousins

Sign cousins you then have your picks to add pieces with all these FA's

Trade up for a QB you have a coin flip if that QB will work out and no pieces

pretty simple decision

yep

I guess only a top 5 QB will do for some......even though one is NOT available.

So the big knock on Cousins is that he isn't Brady?  Ok well I doubt anybody in the draft is Brady either.

I'd take Cousins all day and use our picks to build the team around him.  If we'd have had Cousins this season the Bills might be playing in the championship game this year instead of the Jags.  The Bills at the very least would have beaten the Jags.  Although we may have had a different path because the Bills likely would have at least beaten Carolina, 2nd Jets game, and Cinci.

I don't get not paying a QB because he isn't "special."  Yeah, he might not be elite like Brady and Rodgers.  Cousins is however in the top 10 IMO.  You pay those guys because those "special" guys aren't found often.  If the franchise is holding out and waiting for a HoF guy then they are a joke IMO.  At any point there may only be 3 to 5 of those guys in the league.  Most of those are going to be retiring sooner rather than later.  How many Elite HoF guys have come out of the draft in say the last 5 years?  I can't think of any.

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think passing on a solid QB option because you are always looking for Brady/Rogers/Brees is a mistake.  Those guys are certain Hall of Famers and are better than most of the QBs in the Hall.  

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

So the big knock on Cousins is that he isn't Brady?  Ok well I doubt anybody in the draft is Brady either.

I'd take Cousins all day and use our picks to build the team around him.  If we'd have had Cousins this season the Bills might be playing in the championship game this year instead of the Jags.  The Bills at the very least would have beaten the Jags.  Although we may have had a different path because the Bills likely would have at least beaten Carolina, 2nd Jets game, and Cinci.

I don't get not paying a QB because he isn't "special."  Yeah, he might not be elite like Brady and Rodgers.  Cousins is however in the top 10 IMO.  You pay those guys because those "special" guys aren't found often.  If the franchise is holding out and waiting for a HoF guy then they are a joke IMO.  At any point there may only be 3 to 5 of those guys in the league.  Most of those are going to be retiring sooner rather than later.  How many Elite HoF guys have come out of the draft in say the last 5 years?  I can't think of any.

Good perspective.

I think that if they traded a 1st and 2nd to move up a bit to take Rudolph or Jackson and that player eventually was as good as Cousins, they would consider that a success.  Trading a lot to move up high to take Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield, gives them a shot at someone who *might* be better than Cousins, is still unlikely to be Brady/Rogers/Brees level and carries significant risk that the guy won't even be as good as Cousins.

On the one hand, a rookie gives you 5 years of comparatively low salary at QB, so you can spend elsewhere.  On the other hand, there is bust potential and likely loss of a lot of draft picks due to a trade up likely being required.

if the bar is that Cousins isn't good enough, then the only route is a major trade up, because Rudolph and Jackson will be lucky to be as good as Cousins.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, zevo said:

What’s the back story to this....cousins seems to be a very even keeled but something fired him up here

McCloughan was the GM and wouldn’t ageee with Cousins on a contract.

then at some point prior to this game McCloguhan went public and said he wanted Cousins to earn his paycheck.

mind you this was said AFTER The Redskins went 9-7, won their division and hosted a Playoff Game

plus it was said AFTER Cousins had as a 1st year starter 34 Tds Combined 11 ints 4,000 passing yards and a QBR of 101.

but yeah...McCloughan was totally right.  ? 

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

If we are able to get him for around the $25 million a year range, you do it.  But I doubt that we would be able to get him for that price, he will have a lot of suitors lined up and QB's as good as Cousins very rarely hit the open market.  So there will be a lot of interest for him.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets closer to $30 M a year and I think he'll probably end up in Denver.

The next best option would be Smith, not quite as good as Cousins, but he's a good smart QB.  He'll lead you to the playoffs and a team that will consistently win.  Could be had at a much cheaper price and you could still be looking for your young franchise QB while you have a good QB at the helm.

• Like (+1) 1