Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We are a 12-4 team in 2017 with Cousins instead of Taylor.  How can anyone not like that?  And thats with having a bare cupboard most the year at WR due to trades and injuries.  

We won 9 with TT, safe to say we still win all those 9 games.  We definitely win the Car, Cincy and Charger game with Cousins as the QB.  Thats 12 wins right there, not to mention both NE games were winnable as well as the Jets game.  And we definitely win the Jax game with Cousins.  

We would be a 12 win team that would have been at least in the 2nd round of the playoffs with 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and extra picks in the other rounds of the draft too.  How can anyone be down on that scenario?

THREE OF THE FINAL 4 QB's IN THE PLAYOFFS ARE:  Borltes, Keenum, and Foles.  Cousins is substantially better than all 3.  For anyone to sit back and think Cousins isnt good enough just because he isnt a top 5 QB in the NFL is crazy.  You dont have to be "special"...those guys are rare...if we wait for a "special" QB we wont win for a long time.  The last "special" QB we had failed to deliver a SB despite playing on a roster full of talent and HOF players on both sides of the ball.  

Screw "Special"...give us good to very good coupled with all those draft picks and we are a VERY dangerous team.  

GIVE ME COUSINS!

Heck, if we would've had any of those 3 dudes, we'd still be playing.  I agree with your point that we can wait for special.  Cousins is better than most, and he'll be better still with Shady, and Benjamin, and Clay.  If both Shanahans thought he was good, that's good enough for this Ga boy.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

In Dennisons offense with this offensive roster? Maybe. 

Cousins is better then Tyrod, but I find it funny how soon people have forgotten Tyrod was solid the past couple years before Dennison arrived

He's been consistent in being. The bottom or near bottom of qb rankings regardless of coordinator though.

11 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Heck, if we would've had any of those 3 dudes, we'd still be playing.  I agree with your point that we can wait for special.  Cousins is better than most, and he'll be better still with Shady, and Benjamin, and Clay.  If both Shanahans thought he was good, that's good enough for this Ga boy.

You think that the Bills would still be playing if Blake Bortles or Nick Foles was our QB?!? The Bills were a minus 57 in point differential!! Do you think that Blake Bortles’ turnovers would have improved that?!? Of course not!!

The Bills MADE the playoffs because they were able to execute in close games and beat the teams that they should. Blake Bortles won because his team is loaded. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Agreed, but I'd also say it takes top QB play to win a SB unless you have a record breaking defense (2000 Ravens, 2000 something Bucs, 2014 Broncos etc)

Maybe you misunderstand my post.

I agree with you.

What I'm saying is even with a top QB, Super Bowl wins are tough to come by.

Without a top QB it's even tougher.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You think that the Bills would still be playing if Blake Bortles or Nick Foles was our QB?!? The Bills were a minus 57 in point differential!! Do you think that Blake Bortles’ turnovers would have improved that?!? Of course not!!

The Bills MADE the playoffs because they were able to execute in close games and beat the teams that they should. Blake Bortles won because his team is loaded. 

You just argued against your point.  

That minus 57 May have been much lower wit a real passing QB.  

4 three point games by TT is a strong reason why that number was so high. 

TT happened to play 3 horrible games when the d went into a funk trying to adjust after Dareus was cut. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills MADE the playoffs because they were able to execute in close games and. Eat the teams that they should. Blake Bortles won because his team is loaded. 

Ok, you're partly right KJ.  I think those 3 guys would've scored 10+ against the Jags.  We would've lost the next one against Brady;  however, Cousins could beat those bean town bums.  We need someone who gives us a chance to do that, otherwise, we might as well as get EJ or Cordell or Fitz.

33 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You had better keep digging, you just creating another 9 mil in dead cap space.  More like no Hyde, no Clay, no Poyer and some more.  

Ok, no we don't win the game against Jax.  

I'm not in the discussion about winning the Jax game.

What I was talking about is the cost of a high dollar QB and the affect on the rest of the team.

I hear what you say about Clay's dead money for the Bills today.

What I meant was IF the Bills go down the road of acquiring a high $ guy the final effect is costing them a guy like Clay.

The money could be made up all different ways.

I'm not sure if OBD should get Cousins (they should know more about it than me), I'm saying the difference is cash from a QB costing

that much and a guy like Tannehill isn't that much in my eyes.

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You just argued against your point.  

That minus 57 May have been much lower wit a real passing QB.  

4 three point games by TT is a strong reason why that number was so high. 

TT happened to play 3 horrible games when the d went into a funk trying to adjust after Dareus was cut. 

No, the number would have been worse with that scrub Bortles. He turned it over 16 times. The Bills offense was awful. They didn’t however shoot themselves in the foot. They did enough to win 9 games because they won close games. You don’t win close games  when you make mistakes and turn the ball over. When the Bills lost they got pounded (for the most part). That’s how you have a winning record and a minus 57 point differential. 

6 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Ok, you're partly right KJ.  I think those 3 guys would've scored 10+ against the Jags.  We would've lost the next one against Brady;  however, Cousins could beat those bean town bums.  We need someone who gives us a chance to do that, otherwise, we might as well as get EJ or Cordell or Fitz.

I don’t disagree. I like Cousins and think that he makes this team better. He also preserves the picks needed to fix a roster that isn’t very good. There is a lot to like about Cousins in a Bills uniform.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Sound like anyone we know?

Kirk Cousins

2015:  379-543 (69.8%), 4166 Yds, 29TD's, 11 INT's, 101.6 PR

2016:  406-606 (67.0%), 4917 Yds, 25 TD's, 12 INT's, 97.2 PR

2017:  347-540 (64.3%), 4093 Yds, 27 TD's, 13 INT's  93.9 PR (with a bad o-line)

b97675e5d8f27218c7576661c04108d9246449f7

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Redskins play the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants for six games a year.   They play in a much tougher division, and in all honesty a much better conference.

Cousins is worlds beyond Tyrod as a quarterback.  

Do you realize what you just said? Cousins didn't win because he played too many good teams. And you want this guy why?

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Do you realize what you just said? Cousins didn't win because he played too many good teams. And you want this guy why?

I dont want Cousins.  You asked why Tyrod had won more games.  Simpliy put the difference in their win percentages is neglible and Cousin played better teams.  Frankly I think Cousins is above average for the NFL as currently constructed so no way Id pay him top five money.  On the Tyrod point, we currently have a bottom five player at that position at we need to upgrade.  Doesnt change the fact Cousins is better than what we have.

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

TT - $18,080,000.00

Clay - $9,000,000.00

Total - $27,080,000.00

Roll with a rookie TE.

The difference between a Mediocre QB and a Top Paid QB is one "Good" player.

It's no doubt why QB's get the money.

I'm not a huge Kirk Cousins fan but "cost" shouldn't be the issue.

You forgot the 8mil if we cut Hotrod.

2 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

How could anyone possibly know?  It would have been a completely different game with a different game plan.  Do you actually think the betting odds would have been in the bills favor?

I didn't ask about odds.  But, if you want me to answer whether I would have been more confident betting on the Bills with Cousins my answer is hell yes.  The Bills are in the window, it's cracked open and they need to force their way inside.  A decent QB is required and this off season offers them a rare opportunity to pick up a decent (starter) vet QB. Whether it's Cousins, Smith one of the Minnesota QBs...they have to take a shot. (the faster the better)

Edited by Cripple Creek

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Cousins reminds me alot of Tony Romo, always under the radar, many didn't think Romo was special either, choked in the big games but you have to look at the Redskins as a whole, if the defense matched the offensive production wouldn't they be a playoff and beyond team?

Couldn't the same be said of the 2016 Bills with the 7th in the league scoring offense?

29 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont want Cousins.  You asked why Tyrod had won more games.  Simpliy put the difference in their win percentages is neglible and Cousin played better teams.  Frankly I think Cousins is above average for the NFL as currently constructed so no way Id pay him top five money.  On the Tyrod point, we currently have a bottom five player at that position at we need to upgrade.  Doesnt change the fact Cousins is better than what we have.

Okay, but again, you're excusing Cousins' poor record because he plays a tough schedule with a less than talented team. Well what are the Bills outside our secondary? 

Isn't the whole point of getting the magical franchise QB is finding someone who elevates his team? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

In Dennisons offense with this offensive roster? Maybe. 

Cousins is better then Tyrod, but I find it funny how soon people have forgotten Tyrod was solid the past couple years before Dennison arrived and forced a system on a QB who clearly didn't fit it. Along with a coach/GM who stripped the offense of most of its playmakers and having the worst WR corps in the league.

Solid in - I'll never come from behind, I will never win a game by my arm alone, I will never throw before receiver has a two-to-three yard separation, yeah that kind of solid.

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, but again, you're excusing Cousins' poor record because he plays a tough schedule with a less than talented team. Well what are the Bills outside our secondary? 

Isn't the whole point of getting the magical franchise QB is finding someone who elevates his team? 

Has anyone added up wins and losses to determine this or are we just going with it because it seems like it might he true? How many times has his team played against the Cheaters?